Rumor: The All Encompassing Patrik Laine Thread (it’s happening!!)

What would you give for Laine?

• Struble or Harris or Barron and a 2nd- no retention

Votes: 123 48.4%
  • Calgary’s 1st at 50% retention

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Calgary’s 1st and one of Struble/Harris/Barron at 50% retention

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Don’t want Laine at all he’s weird looking

Votes: 82 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I really struggle to understand how a city that is a global hub for artificial intelligence, aerospace, software engineering, service industries, the arts to name a few (without even getting into key Canadian companies that hold a stronghold here) wouldn't have the corporate money to back a team. It's absurd on its face.

Not that I think it means a ton but the pre-season games played in Montreal yearly have clearly been a resounding success as well.
Hey , I've agreed with everything you've been saying in this thread , except for this part.......

We both know what the issue is when it comes to big money in Quebec and Montreal ,

I'm bilingual , french first , and love my city....but we both know why money isn't coming in here like it is in Ontario....

Montreal has 3 major league sports teams. Of which 2 of them have been drowning for a long time, and we already lost a MLB team that nobody went to see.

Do you believe investors are lining up to make the worst decision in their lives by investing a billion dollars in Montreal for sports?
I think Basketball could work one day in Montreal , but are you advertising in french? In english? In both? That's the issue , why would anybody open up that can of worms when they can go somewhere else with similar economic value. Its a little easier with the habs and hockey when you have a 100 year bilingual head start instilled inside the city's culture lol

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I couldn't find the full article but though this was on topic since it came up earlier.

Habs great Andrei Markov says Ivan Demidov should expect 'pressure in Montreal'​

Have someone ask Markov how many perks he received by playing in Montreal? lol

Montreal is a hockey city, so yes there will be pressure. Markov loved it here and didn't want to leave. Hell he even became a Canadian citizen.

If you're potentially a star player, a star player or just paid like one. You should expect some form of pressure. The same can be said of everyday workers like ourselves. If you're very good at your job. A lot is expected of you. If you suddenly aren't preforming well. You'll be asked why. The only difference is, you won't be asked once you leave work. Nor will you have to sign autographs, take selfie requests. Or take some flak from fans.

We've had two star players who had issues Richer and Price. One had issues before and continued to have issues after he left the Habs (Richer). While the other is an extreme intervert, who I'll tell you. Had no issues going to out clubs, maybe the alcohol helped.

For every player who you say suffered from pressure here. I can name two who enjoyed their time in Montreal immensely.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Montreal is a hockey city, so yes there will be pressure. Markov loved it here and didn't want to leave. Hell he even became a Canadian citizen.

If you're potentially a star player, a star player or just paid like one. You should expect some form of pressure. The same can be said of everyday workers like ourselves. If you're very good at your job. A lot is expected of you. If you suddenly aren't preforming well. You'll be asked why. The only difference is, you won't be asked once you leave work. Nor will you have to sign autographs, take selfie requests. Or take some flak from fans.

We've had two star players who had issues Richer and Price. One had issues before and continued to have issues after he left the Habs (Richer). While the other is an extreme intervert, who I'll tell you. Had no issues going to out clubs, maybe the alcohol helped.

For every player who you say suffered from pressure here. I can name two who enjoyed their time in Montreal immensely.
As I said, if you’re doing well it’s great.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Because he hid from everyone (complete incognito) … Habs should hire him just to teach this next batch how to perfect that art form

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because he hid from everyone (complete incognito) … Habs should hire him just to teach this next batch how to perfect that art form
Thing is, it’s not just the fans. The media in Montreal is insane. There are a bunch of cameras in your face after every game. Had a bad game? Hope you like being asked about it… It’s a white hot spotlight and Andrei stayed as far away from it as he could.

Subban on the other hand…

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Thing is, it’s not just the fans. The media in Montreal is insane. There are a bunch of cameras in your face after every game. Had a bad game? Hope you like being asked about it… It’s a white hot spotlight and Andrei stayed as far away from it as he could.

Subban on the other hand…
The media in Montreal are p***yes, who loft softball questions at the players or management. In fear of losing their access to the team. Most of the questions are ridiculous like "you just lost 10-0, how do you feel?" The only time they get balls are on the tv programs or podcasts.

All teams have media jamming cameras and microphones in their players faces after a win or a loss.

Yes, Subban on the other hand was/is an attention whore. Nothing wrong with that, he was built for Montreal. He would intentionally go to places, knowing that he would get noticed.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hey , I've agreed with everything you've been saying in this thread , except for this part.......

We both know what the issue is when it comes to big money in Quebec and Montreal ,

I'm bilingual , french first , and love my city....but we both know why money isn't coming in here like it is in Ontario....

I think Basketball could work one day in Montreal , but are you advertising in french? In english? In both? That's the issue , why would anybody open up that can of worms when they can go somewhere else with similar economic value. Its a little easier with the habs and hockey when you have a 100 year bilingual head start instilled inside the city's culture lol
I think the language issue is bigger than anyone really wants to talk about.

Lots of talk from MLB and the NBA about Montreal, but absolute crickets when it comes down to action on those words.
We all know, our parents told us, action..............speak louder than words.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I couldn't find the full article but though this was on topic since it came up earlier.

Habs great Andrei Markov says Ivan Demidov should expect 'pressure in Montreal'​

The Habs need to return to WINNING......................and no one will care, and then and only then will we attract ufa's and the team will be able to handle the heat thrown by fans and media.

WINNING cures all in pro sports! And it certainly seems Demidov plans on winning!! So does HuGo!!

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I think the language issue is bigger than anyone really wants to talk about.

Lots of talk from MLB and the NBA about Montreal, but absolute crickets when it comes down to action on those words.
We all know, our parents told us, action..............speak louder than words.
Sadly the image of Montreal now is similar to what it was in the early 70's.
Here are some of the things I've heard from my American friends. On how they see Montreal. Some are dead on, while others are quite funny.

NEGATIVE:
1. You can't survive in Montreal. Unless you speak French.
2. My kids won't be able to go to a English speaking school.
3. Taxes in Montreal are extreme.
4. The roads in Montreal are horrendous.
5. Montreal has some of the worst drivers in all of Canada.
6. Montreal receives so much snow in the winter. That you're forced to stay home.

POSITIVE:
1. The culture in Montreal, rivals some of the best European cities.
2. The food in Monteal, rivals or exceeds some of the biggest cities in North America.
3. Chez Paree
4. It's a multicultural city.
5. Only place to buy great poutine.

Reactions: BLONG7

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think we all gave up, lmao...

Should close it up and just go back to the trade thread.
Holy Jumpin' we haven't signed this guy yet.
Nobody has signed this guy yet.
Columbus would do well to convince Laine to play with some passion to start the season.
I don't see them getting much value any other way.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Absolutely........................but what do we make of this? Inside info, good or bad?
Well it obviously wasn't good enough to accept a trade at what was being bandied about.
A lot of people feel there is no interest for the reasons many of us brought up.
One thing with Hughes though nobody can claim to have inside information on what he's doing behind the scenes.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You're assuming this the same way we were assuming it when Berg started?
Huge difference between Berg and HuGo................Huge.
One guy became the GM and worked on his biceps, and the other guys went to work improving the team. Very noticeable differences between old regime, and new regime.

I was 3 years in, when I realized Bergevin was the wrong guy and it just kept getting worse with each passing season.
The current guys are doing a great job as we move forward, and the position they were left in with the cap compared to the position they are creating with the cap, is night and day........the list goes on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad