Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd consider it a weak year. Not that there isn't talent, there is, but most of them have material flaws at the top after Celebrini. Lists will be all over the place. I would not be too excited to pick 2-5.

It's a poor year for the NTDP. Some nice talent at the top of the USHL, but a steep drop off after the Connelly/Hage/Boisvert/Gridin/Mustard grouping. Obviously a few high end players in the NCAA.

My understanding is it's a down year in Sweden, Finland, and the Q. Maybe average to above average for OHL&WHL, not as sure there.
I think it goes beyond the top.... this draft is littered with players that have talent, but very clear flaws. Just to list a few in the late 1st to 2nd round...

EJ Emery - The most gifted athlete in this draft by a good margin. He can do everything physically that is needed. His defense is incredibly strong and he plays with some nastiness. There has been pretty much zero offense in his game until the last 20-25 games... where some tiny flashes showed. You're picking him thinking that offense comes around.

Terik Parascak - If he could actually skate, he's banging on the door of top 5. Supremely intelligent and offensively gift. He can do it all offensively other than skate. Being 5'11" that's a major issue. But if you want a guy who can create loads of dangerous chances in the offensive zone, there are probably only 2 or 3 better players in this entire draft.

Trevor Connelly - We've hammered it, but simply put if he didn't post that snapchat, he's going top 10 if not top 5. Teams tend to ignore character issues if they are not public. These are public. There is a player going top 10 who has quite the history, but it is quiet because nothing is public.

Henry Mews - Just by stats watching and hearing his scouting report, you'd think he's a sure thing top 15 pick. A two way defender with an average frame and very good skating that has offensive pop near the top of the OHL. Plus his compete level is super, super high. That sounds great! He just wildly inconsistent... you'll see moment of pure brilliance and a guy who looks every bit like a high impact defensemen. Then you get moments where he's an absolute trainwreck.

You're simply picking your poison through this draft.

Biggest qustion I have is who do we draft in the 6th round to continue the salad theme?
Just get it over with in the first and grab John Mustard.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I think it goes beyond the top.... this draft is littered with players that have talent, but very clear flaws. Just to list a few in the late 1st to 2nd round...

EJ Emery - The most gifted athlete in this draft by a good margin. He can do everything physically that is needed. His defense is incredibly strong and he plays with some nastiness. There has been pretty much zero offense in his game until the last 20-25 games... where some tiny flashes showed. You're picking him thinking that offense comes around.

Terik Parascak - If he could actually skate, he's banging on the door of top 5. Supremely intelligent and offensively gift. He can do it all offensively other than skate. Being 5'11" that's a major issue. But if you want a guy who can create loads of dangerous chances in the offensive zone, there are probably only 2 or 3 better players in this entire draft.

Trevor Connelly - We've hammered it, but simply put if he didn't post that snapchat, he's going top 10 if not top 5. Teams tend to ignore character issues if they are not public. These are public. There is a player going top 10 who has quite the history, but it is quiet because nothing is public.

Henry Mews - Just by stats watching and hearing his scouting report, you'd think he's a sure thing top 15 pick. A two way defender with an average frame and very good skating that has offensive pop near the top of the OHL. Plus his compete level is super, super high. That sounds great! He just wildly inconsistent... you'll see moment of pure brilliance and a guy who looks every bit like a high impact defensemen. Then you get moments where he's an absolute trainwreck.

You're simply picking your poison through this draft.

Just get it over with in the first and grab John Mustard.
I agree, but that's typically the case once you get into the 20s. There's just more uncertainty in the top 5/top 10 than what you typically see and it extends throughout the draft as you say. Just lots of boom / bust profiles.

Not sure if that last sentence is tongue in cheek, but I think Mustard is good. He's got a really nice release, hands, and can skate.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree, but that's typically the case once you get into the 20s. There's just more uncertainty in the top 5/top 10 than what you typically see and it extends throughout the draft as you say. Just lots of boom / bust profiles.

Not sure if that last sentence is tongue in cheek, but I think Mustard is good. He's got a really nice release, hands, and can skate.
Yeah typically as you move through the draft you get into that range. I think that range starts earlier than most years. I do think there are a number of gems to be found, it is just going to be all over the place.

I like Mustard quite a bit too. He's a little one dimensional for my taste as a 1st rounder as he's just skate fast, north/south, shooter... but plenty of those guys carve out good NHL careers. What scares me is he reminds me of Wood in a lot of ways. He's smaller and right now he looks like a much better finisher... but that style is exactly who Mustard is. I'm pretty sure both have an IQ of 60.

Reactions: 95snipes

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Yeah typically as you move through the draft you get into that range. I think that range starts earlier than most years. I do think there are a number of gems to be found, it is just going to be all over the place.

I like Mustard quite a bit too. He's a little one dimensional for my taste as a 1st rounder as he's just skate fast, north/south, shooter... but plenty of those guys carve out good NHL careers. What scares me is he reminds me of Wood in a lot of ways. He's smaller and right now he looks like a much better finisher... but that style is exactly who Mustard is. I'm pretty sure both have an IQ of 60.
Sometimes I think that too, but wonder if Mustard's one of those guys who learns to use his teammates more as he's surrounded by more talent.

Reactions: henchman21

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If anyone that cares, posted my top 15 that I like around the 24th pick.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If anyone that cares, posted my top 15 that I like around the 24th pick.

We appreciate all the content you put out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Buttons lists are always the most interesting to me because he's a true example of how wildly different one scouts list can be compared to the "consensus". He doesn't give a shit what everyone else thinks or what the consensus lists look like. He has his own evaluations and thats it.

It's a good example of why consensus lists are generally pretty dumb IMO. If people actually saw every single teams rankings they would all look so completely different.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Waddell is on record saying he's looking for goal scorers. I wonder if CBJ would entertain Eiserman at #4.
They'll go Lindstrom or Sennecke. I could see Eiserman as early as 6 to Utah, but I think he probably goes 8 to Seattle. Doubt he'd fall below 10 to New Jersey.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They'll go Lindstrom or Sennecke.
Yea and Montreal will take the other one.

Utah should really go for a dman though. They reached for one last year but this year 3 of Dickinson, Silayev, Parekh or Buium should fall on their lap.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yea and Montreal will take the other one.

Utah should really go for a dman though. They reached for one last year but this year 3 of Dickinson, Silayev, Parekh or Buium should fall on their lap.
Of that group, they really need Buium or Parekh to add more dynamic elements to their backend. By their preferences, you'd think Silayev is the guy.

Reactions: Balthazar

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I imagine this will only be received positively.
1718814065720.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad