Prospect Info: The 2024 Lightning Development Camp (July 2nd - 5th)

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The only thing I really learned at the tourney is that Geekie is in no way ready for a 2/3 center job.

One year in Syracuse will be good for him.

I always wonder with high draft picks that are traded - there must be a reason the team is willing to part with them.

We haven’t really watched enough of him to conclude anything.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I always wonder with high draft picks that are traded - there must be a reason the team is willing to part with them.

I think it's as simple as the fact we traded them Sergachev. Geekie has nothing left to prove in the WHL anyway. And I am sure we are going to do everything possible to coach all the skill out of him that we can. Until he's yet another mindless robot only worried about the 100 feet of ice on the defensive end.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

I'm looking forward to real camp to see if this is the real him, but in general I've always been pretty good at predicting young kids out of camp making the team within the year.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Geekie will be fine. 2 days of 3v3 scrimmage means very little. He was very unlikely to get a starting spot this year anyway, at least not right away. It's very rare for a Lightning prospect to not spend any time in Syracuse. Everything I've read and the little I've seen before this glorified OT session indicates a future NHL talent. JBB wouldn't have likely had him as the prospect coming back otherwise.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Just did some more research on him and apparently this is the book on Geekie, tons of talent, speed, size, but no motor.

I mean Lecavalier was the same way for his first 6ish years in the league so it's not like it's the kiss of death on his career, but there were certainly some growing pains before he matured into a super star.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Just did some more research on him and apparently this is the book on Geekie, tons of talent, speed, size, but no motor.

I mean Lecavalier was the same way for his first 6ish years in the league so it's not like it's the kiss of death on his career, but there were certainly some growing pains before he matured into a super star.
Unfortunately he sounds like Pierre-Luc Dubois

Reactions: Rschmitz

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's as simple as the fact we traded them Sergachev. Geekie has nothing left to prove in the WHL anyway. And I am sure we are going to do everything possible to coach all the skill out of him that we can. Until he's yet another mindless robot only worried about the 100 feet of ice on the defensive end.
Yeah, I mean, as much as Sergachev wasn't really a fit here time-wise, he had great value. And I feel like we got great value, or at least fair value, in the trade.

We will see how he looks in camp. Seems like he is further away, while Utah wants big improvements RIGHT NOW, which is also a big part of the trade.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Stacy Roest -

On TJ Hughes:
"I'm sure these players have a lot of invites from different teams because especially a team like Michigan, a lot of people are watching them play during the year. We're going to watch our prospects as development, and our scouts are watching every player in college hockey, every league, every level. Ultimately they're the ones that come up with the names for us to invite for camp to keep an eye on. TJ had a great camp, and he's a really nice kid. Yeah, we're looking forward to watching him next year. He's one of those players, the skill level,the compete, the speed, and the way he thinks the game is very impressive."

On Dylan Duke:
"Like you said, it was perfect for him because after a good year in Michigan he got to come (to Syracuse) for the end of the season, and then playoffs, which is the highest level of AHL hockey that's available. I think he knows, he understands it's a little bit of a different level with the age, older players, and just the pace of the game is another step from college which is a very fast level when you go to the American league, and then the NHL is another step above that. He knows exactly what he has to do, he'll put the work in, and we'll give him the resources. Looking forward to seeing him in September."

On Max Groshev:
"I think Grosh came over and had a really great training camp, really good prospect tournament, then training camp, had an excellent start to the season. He had 7 or 8 goals right out of the gate, and then slowed down a little bit, but that's normal for a first year player. He's a big, strong, fast player that works hard every shift, every day in the gym. I think it's just more settling into the game, finding your role, and settling into the North American game. The language is still a little bit of a barrier, but he's learning, and when you can speak the language and your comfortable around your teammates, it just makes it easier on the ice. But we're happy with his projection. It was a good week for him just to be here to be around the younger players, and he was helping some of the younger ones which is key for him."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad