The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Coleman was a guy that I think would have made more sense in the offseason. Adding him also keeps Cozens at C, which is the larger issue for me. Going after him at the deadline or next offseason to replace the eventual loss of Zucker and Greenway makes more sense to me.

Dream target is JEE and I would pay out the wazoo for him, but that's not happening.

The Wild are also churning along too, 5-1-2 now. I can't see JEE being on the way out unless something fractures with him and the franchise, which seems highly unlikely.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Coleman is just what the team needs, I've been banging that drum for months, but him and Backlund are the heart and soul of that team and they've got 11 points in 8 games. With what he would cost it would be a desperation trade and I don't think we're there yet.

If we get to the point of desperation, Kulich and Ostlund and Rosen might be more tradeable than the 1st. We remain bunched-up with forward prospects. Benson and Quinn and Helenius seem untouchable, or at least more-so than the aforementioned.

A winger like Coleman can be traded for. A 2C or top 4 RHD? Maybe at the deadline.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Agreed, but that piece is way harder to find, hence why they've tried to draft it (Strbak, Kleber)
I think every team does this, but it takes a long time and doesn't always work out even with a top 15 pick. Trading is a smart option, but Adams is a couple of years late with this.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Coleman is just what the team needs, I've been banging that drum for months, but him and Backlund are the heart and soul of that team and they've got 11 points in 8 games. With what he would cost it would be a desperation trade and I don't think we're there yet.

Coleman is not the missing piece.
If we get to the point of desperation, Kulich and Ostlund and Rosen might be more tradeable than the 1st. We remain bunched-up with forward prospects. Benson and Quinn and Helenius seem untouchable, or at least more-so than the aforementioned.

A winger like Coleman can be traded for. A 2C or top 4 RHD? Maybe at the deadline.
Not trading any of them for 30+yr old players.

McLeod is an under 25 player. Thst is what yhry would target if they were moving prospects you list.
Not sure if Quinn is untouchable
But he might have suspect value right now with his injury history and current struggle @elchud
Quinn is not untouchable. Sime of the prospects will be traded and donexwill stay around. It's not the time to trade him.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I still think that a top 4 RHD that can PK would go a longer way to solidifying us than a top 6 forward.

Agreed, but that piece is way harder to find, hence why they've tried to draft it (Strbak, Kleber)
they have some young RD prospects in Kleber, strbak, McCarthy, komarov.

I think one of these can replace Clifton when his contract ends or they extend Clifton nova short 1-2 yr contract

They need a mid RD for the next 3 yrs after this year to allow others to develop

They could offer a young winger and trade for a RD who is in 22-24 range with nhl experience or ready for regular nhl play. Something similar to the saboie'mcleid trade but for a young NHL RD

If they would let dahlin be RD1 then that lowers what they need.

They have Samuelson, johnson, byram, Power at LD

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think every team does this, but it takes a long time and doesn't always work out even with a top 15 pick. Trading is a smart option, but Adams is a couple of years late with this.
I disagree that Adams is late.

Hes drafted D since 2021 when he managed the team with a plan

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
But who is the 2c in your scenario then?

If Cozens doesn't get it going this season we need to add one not a top6 winger
No one. Just like we lack our top 4 RHD.
We'll have to build our middle six forwards without a legit 2C just like or top four d lacks a good rhd.

Adams is not a great GM.
KA will not be able or willing to spend what it takes to acquire another C good enough to displace Cozens to wing. A dream scenario is having three Cs good enough to have McLeod on the 4th line. The only way that happens is if Ostlund and/or Helenius develop into a top player. In the meantime Cozens has to get his game right, and Quinn needs time to fully heal and get his strength and skating legs back. They're STILL going to be a three line team for a while.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
KA will not be able or willing to spend what it takes to acquire another C good enough to displace Cozens to wing. A dream scenario is having three Cs good enough to have McLeod on the 4th line. The only way that happens is if Ostlund and/or Helenius develop into a top player. In the meantime Cozens has to get his game right, and Quinn needs time to fully heal and get his strength and skating legs back. They're STILL going to be a three line team for a while.

I doubt they will ever be a 4-line team in that regard. They seem to have become aware that having a useful fourth line that has a role is important AND that having a third line that isn't just dreck and rejects manning it is also important. Fixing 2C is likely to be an internal thing and neither Ostlund or Helenius are that guy yet and probably won't be for a while.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
People with lower intelligence can still learn complicated tasks. It's a reason motivation sometimes beat talent. One theory I have about some of our players is that they are simply slower to adapt to changes but not necessarily bad hockey players over a season.
Obviously a weakness but also something you can deal with if you have depth.

Disclaimer: cat is biting my feet so it's incredibly hard to write

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
People with lower intelligence can still learn complicated tasks. It's a reason motivation sometimes beat talent. One theory I have about some of our players is that they are simply slower to adapt to changes but not necessarily bad hockey players over a season.
Obviously a weakness but also something you can deal with if you have depth.

Disclaimer: cat is biting my feet so it's incredibly hard to write

Don’t stand for that. Bite the cats feet back

Reactions: Jacob582 and DJN21

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I dont ser thr need to acquire s top 6 player

To try and fix the slumping players I'd likely do...

Peterka-tage-xxx
Zucker--cozens-tuch
Greenway-McLeod-xxx
Malestyn-Lafferty-NAK
xxx= quinn, benson, krebs

Kulich would be sent down

If buffalo acquires a winger, benson would have to be sent back to juniors unless you are trading current sabres players.

Its parity....it isnt just this division
I wasn't really big on feeling we needed a top 6 in the offseason but I am starting to lean towards that feeling. I would use propspects, picks and some roster players if the right opportunity arose where we could get a player that would improve our team this year and in the future. This is an unlikely scenario IMO so I am no planning on it.

I was really responding to what I thought was the suggestion that we shift cozens to wing and move McLeod up to 2C. I don't think that is a good idea.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I doubt they will ever be a 4-line team in that regard. They seem to have become aware that having a useful fourth line that has a role is important AND that having a third line that isn't just dreck and rejects manning it is also important. Fixing 2C is likely to be an internal thing and neither Ostlund or Helenius are that guy yet and probably won't be for a while.
Yeah, that's why they're going to still be a three line team for a while. Even if Cozens starts to play better, Quinn needs time and then you have a kid on the other wing. The waiting is the hardest part, according to what a wise man once said.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Lysowski wrote that Kulich "stayed on the ice too long for a shift during the second period."

From shift chart looks like he had a shift that was 1:20.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad