The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
That's an excellent example of what I'm trying to bring up. Again, I believe Cozens has struggled so far.

But McLeod is doing quite bad with giveaways: 7 on the year with only a single takeaway. Second on the team behind only Quinn. Cozens is one of the better Sabres for G/T 1 giveaway for 1 takeaways (all numbers 5v5).

Buffalo in general has struggled with giveaways

This is no fault of anyone. Those goals, and they've been timely, loom very large in our memory. The likelihood that McLeod suddenly explodes for 40 goals (almost 20 above expected) seems slim to me. Even keeping up his pace to get 20 goals would be a very marked improvement.

I haven't looked extensively, but the give/take stats have never seem to hold a ton of weight for me. I think there's just too much of a style thing in play. Also maybe too much subjectivity in the recording of them

Reactions: Aladyyn

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I really, really hope we hit on Wahlberg. He'd fit in well with what Ruff preaches.
Greenway needs a contract after this season? He could be the long-term Greenway replacement. I personally think Greenway is a bit too slow (acceleration) with offensive hands of stone. Idk what to think of Greenway really. Too slow for 4th line, not enough skill for 3rd line, but yet can perform decently on most lines with his size.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Greenway needs a contract after this season? He could be the long-term Greenway replacement. I personally think Greenway is a bit too slow (acceleration) with offensive hands of stone. Idk what to think of Greenway really. Too slow for 4th line, not enough skill for 3rd line, but yet can perform decently on most lines with his size.
Greenway is a very movable player. If they choose to give him 3 or 4 years, and then he’s redundant in 2, that will be easily traded.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
For ELCs signed at 18 it’s 3 yrs of the ELC unless they hit 160 g as a skater. Peterka just went over 160, Quinn is around 112.
Quinn signed his ELC when he was 19, so he gets 4 years or 160 games.

Puckpedia showing he is eligible for waivers. What am I missing?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
We'll need some place for our prospects.
you mean we can't just find spots for Helenius, Kulich, Rosen, Wahlberg? Not to mention Polpatov etc? Should've traded more than just Savoie last off -season. Maybe they still will?? Hopefully they don't get bent over a barrel this time like they did with Savoie however (no offense to a great start for Mcleod)

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
doesn't the final xgf% number get spit out by a regression that accounts for zone starts and quality of opponent, among many other things?

My main issue with its use here is that its predictive value is at its best once the sample size has reached ~half a season, the number means half as much after 8 games as it will in january

I could be wrong on either of these things, i last read papers on xgf% in like 2018

McLeod is 5x the player Cozens is right now for us
Isn’t xGF% supposed to account for deployment and linemates, QoC, that type of thing?
xGF/xGA is much simpler than that.

It assigns a value to every unblocked shot attempt based on the distance and angle to the net with the assumption of average shooting and goalie performance.

For example, a shot 5 feet from the net is worth more than a shot 20 feet from the net.

A shot from the goal line 10 ft from the net with a 1% angle to the net is worth less than a shot 10 ft from the net with a 25% angle.

Is xGF good at predicting the actual number of goals scored in any individual game? Not really. There's way too much variance in shooting skill, goalie skill and just dumb luck, especially with stuff like deflections and bounces. There's also the issue of NHL data quality. The shot attempt locations aren't always accurate from the score keepers.

Even with all of it's faults xGF/xGA is good at telling you who was better at generating/suppressing shot attempts from dangerous areas of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad