The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Nobody has pointed this out but the single biggest roster fail by Kevyn was not finding a replacement for Kyle Okposo. Even though everything went off the rails last season he was a veteran leader for a team of kids, and now they have no veteran leader on the roster and the results have been entirely predictable.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
thought the goalies were giving up softies both nights
I agree. The young duo hasn't found consistency yet. It sucks that they're passing through valleys at the same time.

We also haven't always put them in great spots paired with some dumb penalties and a not great PK is a recipe for swiss cheese. It's like we can't play good defensive hockey and score goals in the same game. Then with a ghostly PP there's no safety net to make up for mistakes.

There's no facet that has been reliably strong even through this short stint of games. Physicality? I guess they're throwing a lot of hits but it's not having any real game impact.

I would have liked to see them be more aggressive in their own zone against ungood teams like CBus; pressuring the wall and points. Make them make smart passes. I hate when they talk about having enough energy to play offense because that means they're going to sit back and watch in the Dzone and hope they can turn it up ice.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

debaser66

Mar 10, 2012
I'm gonna step away from this for a while. Woke up at 4:30 from a dream where I was reading this forum after the Sabres signed Hasek out of pure desperation, and someone posted about Hasek's prior behavior issues including a story where a plane had to have an emergency landing because Dom was being belligerent.
Dom H. Depardieu

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Nobody has pointed this out but the single biggest roster fail by Kevyn was not finding a replacement for Kyle Okposo. Even though everything went off the rails last season he was a veteran leader for a team of kids, and now they have no veteran leader on the roster and the results have been entirely predictable.
I thought Zucker was that vet replacement.

Edit: I thought the problem was that he still looked at only his bottom 6 of his roster, as the only spot of said vet replacements. He didn’t touch the top 6 which we needed a top 6-level Vet player. Sure as hell don’t bring quality vet experience in his d-corp which they still need.

The man has a habit of not replacing what he once lost (Mittelstadt, Skinner), and has way too much confidence in his own “evaluations of players”. The guy is going to see this project of his through, whether successful or not, playoffs be damned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7zark7

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yes. I like Zucker and he helps make our 3rd line our best line. That doesn't change the fact that we never replaced Skinner with an equal or better top 6 winger.
Not part of the plan....when skinner was bought out

Buffalo has Peterka, Quinn, Benson, , Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund , Wahlberg, Savoie Poltapov ???, a few others.

You figure Tuch stays, and you have tage and cozens for top 9 spots

Therr are 6 empty spots for 12+ players to compete over.

Sure they could trade a young F for s veteran short term but not for signingblkng term
I thought Zucker was that vet replacement.

Edit: I thought the problem was that he still looked at only his bottom 6 of his roster, as the only spot of said vet replacements. He didn’t touch the top 6 which we needed a top 6-level Vet player. Sure as hell don’t bring quality vet experience in his d-corp which they still need.

Mitts and skinner also has to do with cap space

Define vet experience

The man has a habit of not replacing what he once lost (Mittelstadt, Skinner), and has way too much confidence in his own “evaluations of players”. The guy is going to see this project of his through, whether successful or not, playoffs be damned.
Ostlund can play C and replace Mitts

He didnt sign Skinner that.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not part of the plan....when skinner was bought out

Buffalo has Peterka, Quinn, Benson, , Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund , Wahlberg, Savoie Poltapov ???, a few others.

You figure Tuch stays, and you have tage and cozens for top 9 spots

Therr are 6 empty spots for 12+ players to compete over.

Sure they could trade a young F for s veteran short term but not for signingblkng term

Mitts and skinner also has to do with cap space

Define vet experience

Ostlund can play C and replace Mitts

He didnt sign Skinner that.
There has never been a more surefire way to get your teeth kicked in on a nightly basis in the NHL than icing a lineup of kids and wouldn't you know it: we are well on our way to 14 in a row. Our GM is an unqualified flunky of the generationaly bad owner which is why we are the most hopeless dumpster fire in all of sports.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Because having Okposo around helped so much....

Reactions: jc17

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Because having Okposo around helped so much....
I don't think anyone is saying a 4th line grinder vet fixes the team. Its unfortunately more systemic than that. You need competent and skilled vets throughout the roster to help guide the younger players, not just 1 getting 8 minutes a night. Cozens shouldn't be or have been the veteran player on the 2nd line for the last 3 years. Dahlin at 24 shouldn't be the responsible vet on D. There should be 2 or even 3 capable and good vets teaching players like Dahlin, Power, and Sammy how to be pros and how to play winning hockey.

Reactions: sabremike

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I don't think anyone is saying a 4th line grinder vet fixes the team. Its unfortunately more systemic than that. You need competent and skilled vets throughout the roster to help guide the younger players, not just 1 getting 8 minutes a night. Cozens shouldn't be or have been the veteran player on the 2nd line for the last 3 years. Dahlin at 24 shouldn't be the responsible vet on D. There should be 2 or even 3 capable and good vets teaching players like Dahlin, Power, and Sammy how to be pros and how to play winning hockey.
I don't disagree with you but that's not what Mike said.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Okposo?

The captain of the team with no accountability? Team babysitter? That's what this team is lacking?

I like the guy as a person, and could even get behind the idea of needing more vet leadership, but we're not worse because okposo's not here

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
If you make an insufficiency much worse what's the result (hint: 1-4-1 and getting worse by the day)?
Insufficiency like your sample size 8 seasons with Okie vs 6 games?
1729360808905.jpeg

Reactions: Fearnot

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
If things continue to go south and Adams were to try to make a "core shake up" trade, I could see this based on the dots that have been connected the last few summers:

Zegras for Cozens

I'm not saying I like it. I may even hate it. I'm just saying it's the kind of thing I could see happen. We know Adams has been connected to Zegras. Two franchises that have sort of stalled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad