The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Looking at xGF% after 4 games tells you nothing....but I went ahead and looked anyway.

So Dahlin theoretically has played better with Joki than without. But without Dahlin, Joki is by far the worst defenseman on the team :help:

Doesn't make ton of sense but I'm sure that isn't quite the whole picture

1729024501420.png

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Looking at xGF% after 4 games tells you nothing....but I went ahead and looked anyway.

So Dahlin theoretically has played better with Joki than without. But without Dahlin, Joki is by far the worst defenseman on the team :help:

Doesn't make ton of sense but I'm sure that isn't quite the whole picture

I'm pretty sure that if you look at Dahlin's advanced stats last year (and maybe the year before?), they all pretty much say that Dahlin plays best with Joki.....and vice versa. I'm not sure why that's a thing.....I'm not sure how that's a thing. But I'm pretty sure it's a thing.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm pretty sure that if you look at Dahlin's advanced stats last year (and maybe the year before?), they all pretty much say that Dahlin plays best with Joki.....and vice versa. I'm not sure why that's a thing.....I'm not sure how that's a thing. But I'm pretty sure it's a thing.
The problem is, Joki spends 54% of his ice time without Dalin and craters the offense during that time (it's significant).

I have a feeling Ruff is mainly only doing this because Joki is the only righty with an offensive touch, and not because they make each other better on paper.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Dahlin's best season was '22-23, when he played at Norris' level and I think he played with Samuelsson when he was healthy. It also seems to me that he often played RD back then and he himself said that it was easier for him to play RD from the point of view of creation/attack.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Dahlin's best season was '22-23, when he played at Norris' level and I think he played with Samuelsson when he was healthy. It also seems to me that he often played RD back then and he himself said that it was easier for him to play RD from the point of view of creation/attack.
I'm wondering if they move on from Joki, and move Sammy up + add a good bottom pairing guy to play w/ Clifton. Dahlin was a beast with Sammy, and Sammy being the defensive d man of that pairing may allow Dahlin to roam free more.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Because 1 assist at 5 mill isn't enough and his old man legs might benefit from a day off....
He can sit with b2b. Zucker playing the pens is happening unless he is injured

I'm wondering if they move on from Joki, and move Sammy up + add a good bottom pairing guy to play w/ Clifton. Dahlin was a beast with Sammy, and Sammy being the defensive d man of that pairing may allow Dahlin to roam free more.
They could trade Joker.
RyJo could play bottom pair. Bryson could.

Looking at PuckPedia and they don't indicate he has any more slide left either. GP shouldn't drive the move in that case. But that's if PuckPedia is right.
Rosen is in yr 2 of ELC. Drafted 21, 23/24 was yr 1.

This is yr 1 of kulich

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Ah ok.. so that would mean Kulichs has started this year..so really doesn't make a difference
Honestly, the team is at a point where you just play the guys that are performing. Yes, it's ok for someone else to consider it, but idgaf.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I watched the Pens play Montreal the other night, Pens looked slow and couldn't match the speed of the young Montreal Canadians but still won. This team is absolutely capable of playing against speed. They are strong at stripping the puck and can easily tic tac toe to score.

Sabres need to keep the chip on their shoulder and play with urgency.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’m wondering if Adams and Granato have us all over-rating Sammy. Ruff doesn’t seem to think he’s top-4 material…at least not yet. Ruff has sidestepped the local media’s attempts to get him to compliment Sammy when they ask about him. One of the few.

He’s not paid a ton so it’s not a problem but it does make me wonder.

Reactions: mviewer1

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Considering Ruff doesn't like it when a defenseman plays on the wrong side, I doubt he'd want to see all left-handed defensemen in the top 4. I think Jokiharju will play there for now and they will see how it works. I doubt Adams will go and find a quality top 4 RD.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Considering Ruff doesn't like it when a defenseman plays on the wrong side, I doubt he'd want to see all left-handed defensemen in the top 4. I think Jokiharju will play there for now and they will see how it works. I doubt Adams will go and find a quality top 4 RD.
I agree, but in his defense for this specific situation, there's probably 20 teams in the league who would like to add a quality top 4 RHD. There simply aren't many of them.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I agree, but in his defense for this specific situation, there's probably 20 teams in the league who would like to add a quality top 4 RHD. There simply aren't many of them.
Well, some other teams do it (Devils, Utah). Adams probably just isn't interested.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe they got the ones we tried for. Who knows? I agree it isn't an excuse. rounding out the roster is his responsibility. Just may be a reason.
Well, I'm saying that Adams just doesn't seem interested in it (namely the top 4 RD position). I think I've been talking about a top 4 right-handed defenseman for 3-4 years in a row, and during that time there have been signings and trades of such defensemen in the league.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Liljegren is Swedish and seems to have played with Dahlin before.

But otherwise, probably yes, although it seems that Liljegren at one time had very decent metrics, which I did not see at that time at Jokiharju.

Metrics need to be contextualized and paired with the eye test. Having solid metrics on the bottom pairing of a good team isn’t necessarily replicable with more minutes or a different supporting cast.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Metrics need to be contextualized and paired with the eye test. Having solid metrics on the bottom pairing of a good team isn’t necessarily replicable with more minutes or a different supporting cast.
I agree, but even in the bottom pair there are players who look bad and have bad metrics.

But as I said, it was 2-3 years ago, so I have no idea what Liljegren is like now.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
What about the opposite? Are there players with bad metrics that are actually good, after correcting with the eye test?

Washington's 4th line last year is one potential example, although the article I posted over the summer seems to attribute the positives mostly to Dowd and not the other two players on Buffalo now.

Can't think of many other examples, although our GMs and coaches have insisted to fans for the past decade+ that Risto and Joki are good, despite their awful numbers.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
That's how I read it too. After that initial game struggle, he's fit in nicely IMO. I'm curious to see if he can pot one to get rolling and make it ever more difficult to send him down. His faceoff prowess has been an interesting sidebar to all of his time at center in the AHL - 7 of 11 so far wasn't something I expected. Granted, tiny tiny sample and I'm sure teams will look for tells on video to get a bit better on handling him if he stays in the lineup. Granted, they also have 5 guys over 50% which makes me wonder what I put in my morning coffee as I look at that this afternoon. :biglaugh:
Kulich is getting that 2C spot from Cozens unless Ostlund gets it before him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad