Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Up until last year, OEL has been a number 1 of 2 his entire career. Tanev has been a topish pair D man forever. I’m surprised by OEL so far, but then you step back and realize his pedigree does lend itself to this high minute contribution. Tanev is a horse, has been a horse, will be a horse. These two have completely remade our D, literally added a top pair in many respects. We didn’t add depth D, we added top end D. Even if OEL regresses, he was a 5 on the best defensive team in hockey that won a cup, that’s top four here all day long. Tanev, some argued was the best D man in the playoffs last year.

If this D holds up, man has Tre had a major impact, we’ve added 2 top four D man, and damn good ones at that.

Reactions: Evilhomer

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Up until last year, OEL has been a number 1 of 2 his entire career. Tanev has been a topish pair D man forever. I’m surprised by OEL so far, but then you step back and realize his pedigree does lend itself to this high minute contribution. Tanev is a horse, has been a horse, will be a horse. These two have completely remade our D, literally added a top pair in many respects. We didn’t add depth D, we added top end D. Even if OEL regresses, he was a 5 on the best defensive team in hockey that won a cup, that’s top four here all day long. Tanev, some argued was the best D man in the playoffs last year.

If this D holds up, man has Tre had a major impact, we’ve added 2 top four D man, and damn good ones at that.
Basically what I said all summer. I think people are (still) under-estimating how significant the upgrades to the defense have been.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I even look at treliving Calgary moves, the tkachuk trade, kadri signing, markstrom signing, these were really good moves. Huberdeau falling off a cliff wasn’t treliving’s fault, that’s a coach and/or player fault. Then he walks into a leaf team where dubas left him no picks, no cap flexibility, and this past summer was his first chance with a little wiggle room and so far hit home runs with tanev, OEL and stolarz. They are not superstars, but they are good nhl players who hit above their caphit, which is what Toronto needs. I trust treliving now.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The lilegren & patch signings were the only mistakes.

OEL, Lorentz, Tanev, Stolarz, and Hakanpää (when he returns) were solid.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I even look at treliving Calgary moves, the tkachuk trade, kadri signing, markstrom signing, these were really good moves. Huberdeau falling off a cliff wasn’t treliving’s fault, that’s a coach and/or player fault. Then he walks into a leaf team where dubas left him no picks, no cap flexibility, and this past summer was his first chance with a little wiggle room and so far hit home runs with tanev, OEL and stolarz. They are not superstars, but they are good nhl players who hit above their caphit, which is what Toronto needs. I trust treliving now.

Tkachuk trade was solid but no one forced him to sign Huberdeau to a retirement contract without him playing a single game for them. Kadri’s a nice player but he’s signed until he’s 37 and it cost a 1st to dump Monahan for the cap space to sign him, and Monahan was flipped for a 1st a few months later. Calgary could be sitting on an extra 3 1sts+ and almost 20mil in cap space not going to a 2C and perimeter winger signed through their late 30s.

I can’t imagine the backlash if Carolina somehow flipped Marleau for a 1st at the deadline, let alone someone calling it a really good move later. Tre had some good moves in Calgary without needing to do weird revisionist history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad