The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The worst case scenario is that our guys aren't as good as we thought. What if Tage is not a 1C but more of a 65 point guy, Cozens is a 50 point 2C/3C, Quinn becomes a tweener, Tuch is just a 50-60 point 2nd line winger, Kulich/Ostlund/Rosen don't develop into anything..

Then what the heck do we do? Try again?

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
The worst case scenario is that our guys aren't as good as we thought. What if Tage is not a 1C but more of a 65 point guy, Cozens is a 50 point 2C/3C, Quinn becomes a tweener, Tuch is just a 50-60 point 2nd line winger, Kulich/Ostlund/Rosen don't develop into anything..

Fire Adams and do it again!

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

Beginning to worry that Adams is just as bad at drafting as every other aspect of being GM.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't think there would be a fanbase left. I know I would be out at least.
Given the bleak scenario you laid out, what other option would there be?

If they misidentified the right core guys and they are all locked up to long term, overpriced deals, and none of the prospects turn out to be high quality guys, either, what else could they do?

Hope they get lottery luck to get an All-Star+ 1C?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It's a happy place around here when the two teams we love the most are a collective 7-0 over the last 3 1/2 weeks to start their (pre) seasons.
Neither team has won a single game since you posted this a few weeks ago #jinx

Better odds than I’d thought lol
Now let’s see the odds when a team who didn’t make the playoffs the previous year starts 0-3.

I bet the number is 0.

You just become the Columbus Blue Jackets. A team no one takes seriously ever, for many generations.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Now let’s see the odds when a team who didn’t make the playoffs the previous year starts 0-3.

I bet the number is 0.

You just become the Columbus Blue Jackets. A team no one takes seriously ever, for many generations.
Their best player was murdered by a drunk driver, what's our excuse?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

I bet the number is 0.

If there anyone taking the Sabres seriously now?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

If we ever want to become a contender, we need one of Tage to become that offensive dynamite center he was two years ago or Cozens to become a selke level 1C. If you look at the list of teams who have won the cup, they all have that borderline elite 1C or better.

If everything you said goes wrong, then yeah- we're screwed, but my therapist tells me not to focus on the worst case scenario, haha. I do think there's a chance this core become a solid playoff team, but if they're going to become a contender, they need that dynamic C.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If there anyone taking the Sabres seriously now?
No, not for a long time. We became CBJ when we thought we were closer to Vancouver.

Three new teams have been born since the Sabres last made the playoffs. Each of those teams will always be taken far more seriously than the Sabres ever will again.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Sabres have to play at an almost 100 point pace the rest of the season now and this is by far their easiest month. Unless they get it together and string something up here - in all likelihood the season is probably cooked.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is fing insane.....

Yestetdays game Sabres cou ln d have put up 5+ g given their opportunities
3 of them were

5x3 PP
Benson vd horn
Penalty shot

If you go 6-3-1 over 10 game rate over thr last 50 g is 63 pts.
at 70 g they want to be around 80 pts for playoffs

They can fo that if over the first 22 games they get to 17 pts. That is 8-13-1

The post lock out sabres were around 500 around game 22 then they played very well getting overc100 pts.

People forget that you have a new coach and about 6 out of 12 new F

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Sabres have to play at an almost 100 point pace the rest of the season now and this is by far their easiest month. Unless they get it together and string something up here - in all likelihood the season is probably cooked.
Assuming the other teams are going to play at that pace as well.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
People forget that you have a new coach and about 6 out of 12 new F

This was a thought I had last night. It got better as the game went on, but I counted at least half a dozen instances where Buffalo guys were getting in each other's way during shifts. I think the weird preseason has stunted their progress, unfortunately.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I know they're probably not going to shake up the lines yet - it probably wouldn't fix anything as they are all struggling. But here's what I'd try, based on how guys have been performing.

JJP - Tage - Greenway ...(Tage and Greenway have been the best fwds so far imo..along with RM)
Benson - Mcleod - Tuch ...(this line plays the game correctly, two-way with offense)
Quinn - Krebs - Cozens ...(theoretically two-way but young, chaotic and prone to mistakes)
Beck - Lafferty - Zucker ...(Zucker in the old Okposo role)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I know they're probably not going to shake up the lines yet - it probably wouldn't fix anything as they are all struggling. But here's what I'd try, based on how guys have been performing.

JJP - Tage - Greenway ...(Tage and Greenway have been the best fwds so far imo..along with RM)
Benson - Mcleod - Tuch ...(this line plays the game correctly, two-way with offense)
Quinn - Krebs - Cozens ...(theoretically two-way but young, chaotic and prone to mistakes)
Beck - Lafferty - Zucker ...(Zucker in the old Okposo role)
I actually kind of like this idea. Your 2nd line should be able to skate any opponent into absolute submission with their speed and physicality.

That said, we've seen stretches like this from Greenway before -- as soon as he cools off, swap him with someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad