GDT: #1 - Todays the Day! Hockey is Back! Columbus @ Minnesota - 8PM EST

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
It was a solid game aside some errors.
Biggest complaint is still the amount of odd man rushes and penalties.

I dont know what was injected into Kent Johnson in the offseason, but if the fire and intensity we saw out of that kid tonight persists he could net 50.

Seeing the defense actually bail out a goalie a couple times is very weird.
Only one weak-ish goal out of elvis but a good outing for him.
Christiensen is also a nice surprise.

Reactions: Cheddarcheese

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
We might not have got the W but this team played like an NHL team last night. They played with hustle and unity. I love how they have the defense pinch it makes it difficult for the opponents. I still can’t believe they overturned that goal, pure crap but this team is only going to get better.

Reactions: Monk

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
KJ, Fantilli, Werenski, Chinakhov all had a decent game
add Elvis to that list he looks good!

JJ needs to sit next game, costed us the game.

We might not have got the W but this team played like an NHL team last night. They played with hustle and unity. I love how they have the defense pinch it makes it difficult for the opponents. I still can’t believe they overturned that goal, pure crap but this team is only going to get better.
yeah i thought it was a good goal, didn't look like he was in the paint IMO ( he was in and out before contact )

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
KJ is so much faster than he used to be it’s actually wild.
Honestly I think a good bit of that is confidence .. he’s put on a bit of strength , probably got a little quicker … I think we are seeing with Fantilli and KJ why Krill Kaprisov blossomed into a star under Evason. You saw under Evason right away putting KJ on the powerplay, even the Pk in camp. They make a mistake , they aren’t benched … last night you had Fantilli flub a clear trying to exit into a possible rush , ended up costing us … he was out there the next shift and almost scored … That right there is night and day difference between Evason and the culture he’s already instilled , contrasted to PV from last year .

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I think most of my thoughts on this game have been expressed here already but a couple thoughts...

1) I am not sure we should be so surprised Christiansen played well last night. I believe he was well sought after coming out of Juniors so he had established himself as a kid with real potential. He has played quite well in Cleveland the last three seasons and did not look out of place last year when he was called up and got into the lineup. Then he had a solid training camp. This is a kid who is simply progressing year after year the way other teams develop players. He's 25, this is when we expect a defenseman to really start hitting their stride. He belongs.

2) My one concern with KJ91 is will he be the same player mid-season that he is right now. We know in the past he has struggled to put on good weight. Now that he has added it I wonder if he will be able to maintain it throughout the season. I think many players lose weight throughout the season...there is so much less time to stay diligent in the weight room. Fingers crossed. Maybe he is best suited to the middle six where his minutes can be better managed this year while building towards future seasons.

3) I had few issues with Elvis last night but there is no doubt he will always be a polarizing player in this forum.Love him or hate him, he is likely our 1A goalie and complaining about him isn't productive or cathartic. Just accept it and cheer for him to be the best player and teammate he can be.

4) Like Z said in his post-game interview, if they play like this all season they are going to win a lot of games. Amazed at what a difference coaching makes. From 5v5 to power play, this team looks incredibly more competent from what we saw the last three years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think most of my thoughts on this game have been expressed here already but a couple thoughts...

1) I am not sure we should be so surprised Christiansen played well last night. I believe he was well sought after coming out of Juniors so he had established himself as a kid with real potential. He has played quite well in Cleveland the last three seasons and did not look out of place last year when he was called up and got into the lineup. Then he had a solid training camp. This is a kid who is simply progressing year after year the way other teams develop players. He's 25, this is when we expect a defenseman to really start hitting their stride. He belongs.

I'm right there with you on Christiansen.

Until this - "the way other teams develop players". It strikes me as not really true. There are some pretty good clubs that have developed less talent than the Jackets have. And some of the best players we've developed came up slowly like Christiansen. Methot and Savard came to mind. It is cool that he was an undrafted signing, though.

2) My one concern with KJ91 is will he be the same player mid-season that he is right now. We know in the past he has struggled to put on good weight. Now that he has added it I wonder if he will be able to maintain it throughout the season. I think many players lose weight throughout the season...there is so much less time to stay diligent in the weight room. Fingers crossed. Maybe he is best suited to the middle six where his minutes can be better managed this year while building towards future seasons.

I've had the same thought. He also looked quicker last camp and then lost it. Not this quick, of course.

I was wondering if the extra PK time could be cut. We need all the KJ we can get at 5v5 and PP.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm right there with you on Christiansen.

Until this - "the way other teams develop players". It strikes me as not really true. There are some pretty good clubs that have developed less talent than the Jackets have. And some of the best players we've developed came up slowly like Christiansen. Methot and Savard came to mind. It is cool that he was an undrafted signing, though.

I've had the same thought. He also looked quicker last camp and then lost it. Not this quick, of course.

I was wondering if the extra PK time could be cut. We need all the KJ we can get at 5v5 and PP.
Eh, I think they are grooming much more than a short term player and honestly if KJ keeps his energy and effort up I don't think we can rule out the thought of him as an eventual center just yet.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Eh, I think they are grooming much more than a short term player and honestly if KJ keeps his energy and effort up I don't think we can rule out the thought of him as an eventual center just yet.
Maybe, I did notice on one of the draws when Monahan (I think) was kicked from the draw, that KJ instantly looked to Silly to take it. I'm not writing it off, but if we have guys like Monahan, Jenner, Fantilli (and eventually Lindstrom, LDBB and potentially a Hagens/McQueen) than we really don't need him at center and losing Gaudreau makes it a "easy" transition for KJ to move into the top wing spot.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Maybe, I did notice on one of the draws when Monahan (I think) was kicked from the draw, that KJ instantly looked to Silly to take it. I'm not writing it off, but if we have guys like Monahan, Jenner, Fantilli (and eventually Lindstrom, LDBB and potentially a Hagens/McQueen) than we really don't need him at center and losing Gaudreau makes it a "easy" transition for KJ to move into the top wing spot.
Monahan/Fantilli/Sillinger are our designated top 3 centers, of course he would default to the other assigned center

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad