The 2024-2025 Roster Thread

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Who could've possibly predicted the youngest roster in the league getting the living shit kicked out of them and once again being the undisputed laughingstock of the sport? Here is the complete list of coaches in history who won with kids:

Sir Alex Ferguson.

That's it, that's the list.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If we go by your definition of new then it's 7 Sabres to 5 Devils right? That's a 33% difference, not 40%.
I said 40% more.

If 5 is 100%, then each 1 player is equal to 20%. 7 players is 140% of 5 players, which, 140 subtracted by 100, is 40% more.

You can't even strawman correctly today, you are off your game ;)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Byram and Power were very good in both games.

Honestly all of Adams’ “new” acquisitions were good. If only he had made a couple more in valuable positions maybe we wouldn’t have looked like a pile of dogshit.

It was everybody else around them that were f***ing brutal.

I think very few people have problems with the additions Adams made.

My biggest qualm is overpaying for Zucker

The issue is what he didn't add. He didn't address the defense at all. He didn't upgrade the top 6 forward group.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think very few people have problems with the additions Adams made.

My biggest qualm is overpaying for Zucker

The issue is what he didn't add. He didn't address the defense at all. He didn't upgrade the top 6 forward group.
What does “upgrade” even mean to a guy who isn’t able to tell which players are good until he’s seen them closely for several years? And even then, he’s fearful and indecisive, just like the team he built.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If UPL and Levi were both a touch older and established as equal tenders, it would make total sense to run with them in a tandem set up. Right now each is better off getting around 50-55 starts, so regardless of what happens with Reimer and whether KA is bumbling yet another goalie signing, I simply don't understand why KA would want to limit either UPL or Levi to 40 or less starts this season.

KA actually seems like a dunderhead about managing the goalie position.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I didn't follow the Sabres during the first Ruff-years (I've only watched them regularly during the draught) but a demanding system with this roster seems naive at best. Especially considering the circumstances.

My guess is that a complex system with this team might lead to rebuild 4.0, our top six is the dumbest in the league even with Skinner gone.

Unrelared to hockey but research regarding business development shows that simple plans are the best since execution is the hardest part of any plan. Fancy and complex strategies often just leads to inaction.

A system that has our players in their heads all the time is probably a recipe for disaster.
There is nothing complicated about what Ruff is asking them to do. It’s pretty straightforward two way team play. It will take time to ingrain those new habits with this group. As we saw at the start of last season, they are stubbornly resistant to this change.

The bigger problem we have is a lot of our better players can’t handle the pressure of expectations. You saw that at the start last year and you’re seeing it now. These are the only two seasons this group has had playoff expectations. Tuch in the first two games is a prime example of this. He’s been running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Trying to do everything and accomplishing nothing.

Ruff is going to have to be coach, mentor and counselor to get them through this. If he can’t pull it off, then it will be time to move on from some of the core group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmybarndoor2

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
There is nothing complicated about what Ruff is asking them to do. It’s pretty straightforward two way team play. It will take time to ingrain those new habits with this group. As we saw at the start of last season, they are stubbornly resistant to this change.

The bigger problem we have is a lot of our better players can’t handle the pressure of expectations. You saw that at the start last year and you’re seeing it now. These are the only two seasons this group has had playoff expectations. Tuch in the first two games is a prime example of this. He’s been running around like a chicken with its head cut off. Trying to do everything and accomplishing nothing.

Ruff is going to have to be coach, mentor and counselor to get them through this. If he can’t pull it off, then it will be time to move on from some of the core group.
I think it's a talent issue rather than psychological. Time will tell.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
It won’t because either could be plausibly argued as the issue if they fail by the end of the season.
It will because we always trade our leading players and then we see them sink or thrive without the Buffalo pressure!😁
The true pleasure of being a Sabres fan.

My own belief is that Granato got the max effort from the team the "good" season and that last year was what we are capable of a normal year.

The only ones I think can surprise when it comes to talent and become truly elite are Dahlin, Benson and the goalies.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I live in Calgary. Listening to the morning show on the sports radio station here on the drive in to work, and the guys were just absolutely shocked by how bad the Sabres looked to start the season. Their minds were totally blown by how we came out and looked like an AHL team against an NHL team in what is supposed to be a showcase event for the league.

Hiring Lindy Ruff to be the answer here instead of a younger sharp mind, is going to be the demise of this core of players.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It will because we always trade our leading players and then we see them sink or thrive without the Buffalo pressure!😁
The true pleasure of being a Sabres fan.

My own belief is that Granato got the max effort from the team the "good" season and that last year was what we are capable of a normal year.

The only ones I think can surprise when it comes to talent and become truly elite are Dahlin, Benson and the goalies.
Those two season are my point.

The “good” season had zero playoff expectations. They were expected to be one of the worst teams in the NHL. No one saw that season coming. The following season they had expectations of playoffs and struggled badly trying to handle them. And by “they”, I mean our top guys.

EDIT: The idea that Tage isn’t an elite talent doesn’t jive with what he’s done since becoming a center

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I live in Calgary. Listening to the morning show on the sports radio station here on the drive in to work, and the guys were just absolutely shocked by how bad the Sabres looked to start the season. Their minds were totally blown by how we came out and looked like an AHL team against an NHL team in what is supposed to be a showcase event for the league.

Hiring Lindy Ruff to be the answer here instead of a younger sharp mind, is going to be the demise of this core of players.
Granato was supposed to be the sharp young mind and he was run out of town.

Coaches don't affect hockey like they do football, this is just the team that Adams assembled. They are exactly the same every year, just like every other team. Changing a team identify in the NHL takes like 5 years and a ton of roster changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad