Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty and Lorentz - 1 year deals

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I don't understand this signing.

Is it just so they can have an OGWAC on the team again. I'm sick of seeing them bring in vets who can't contribute anything other than being a positive locker room presence. How about getting vets who are good in the room AND on the ice.

A better idea would be to give the kids an opportunity.

They need more room for growth from young players. All these vets with one foot out the door have no business playing large roles on this team. Like when they signed Thornton it wasn't the dumbest move they could've made.

Playing him on the top line was.

Thornton was given a position he neither earned through his play or deserved through entitlement. An enviable reward for a long illustrious career playing for teams not named the Toronto Maple Leafs. I expect Pacioretty to be given similar red carpet treatment.

Another Leafs sales job on a player on his way out of the NHL.
And most those vets take alot of time off on the IR and the kids play too and get to play around them. Did Joe play half a season? So half a season went to a youth which isn't all that bad of a spread. Clearly no one took the job running...

Ya, well it’s like the kid on my son’s hockey team.

This kid plays great offense, scores 2 goals - often highlight reel. I’m positive he has a nice car ride home remembering his goals with his folks. At the same time, having no clue that being on the ice for four goals costs the team. Turning the puck over and over again does not justify your 2 goals.

This mindset on the Leafs also has to go.
Who leads in takeaways?

Reijo

Sep 22, 2024
The young players got an opportunity, they didn't earn a spot because they aren't ready.

Some of them, like Grebonkin are very close but they aren't ready.
You already know sire and we still got game like spike lee do. Grebenkin might be ready next season so he gon learn from pacioretty. Some talk, some game. Reaves will teach talking too to so many. Reaves is with us because of talking and looking at others eyes. Straight into em.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ya, well it’s like the kid on my son’s hockey team.

This kid plays great offense, scores 2 goals - often highlight reel. I’m positive he has a nice car ride home remembering his goals with his folks. At the same time, having no clue that being on the ice for four goals costs the team. Turning the puck over and over again does not justify your 2 goals.

This mindset on the Leafs also has to go.

Yeah, you can teach defense, heck even Robertson played some these preseason games.

Kessel?

I'm sure he got better, right?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Pacioretty, I’d definitely give him a 1x1 type deal. Perfectly third line winger who’s big, can shoot the puck, not a defensive liability, can throw his body around a little, etc.

Not to mention, Cowan, Holmberg, Steeves, etc have not outplayed him and shown they’re better. Pacioretty in our lineup definitely makes us a better team right now.

I'm not sure Pacioretty did a lot besides score some goals and earn some assists, but that is what the team lacks in the postseason.

If he can be an add on offense when the playoffs start he's a value add.

If he cannot, then we may be looking at another season where prospects are not given a chance to grow into NHL players, and the team is lamenting the lack of depth once again.

Reactions: Da Mash

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
We have too many already here that we’re not brought in for defense. He will be another old slow defensive liability that will have a hard time skating with the top six. If you have him on the 3rd line then you have to shelter him because of his defensive liability and his lack of speed.
He'll become yet another over the hill vet who've they've made countless promises to regarding ice time.

Reactions: Da Mash

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I guess depth scoring. We still don't know what we have in McMann

Robbie has shown he can score but hasn't played a full season yet.

I would play him every other game. Give the young lads some playing time

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Why is he getting games played bonuses? Come on...

I think it's a good guess that Pacioretty had other offers around the 1m mark and, given it was already hinted that a contract was promised to him, the incentive bases performance bonus was likely already agreed to beforehand. Once the Leafs knew exactly how much $ they had left, they then gave him the 875k when he was probably told it would be around 800-900k or something like that.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
My question is why is he getting above league min, period?
I'm sure he had more interest around the league and could've gotten a contract above league min in multiple places.

Therefore, if the Leafs think he has a decent chance to bounce back, the contract makes sense...

I'm not sold on Pacioretty, but I don't mind the gamble... if he meets the games played criteria he's probably worth his contract and if not he's buriable.

Reactions: phillipmike

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Oh god, we're giving bonus money to Pacioretty? I don't mind signing the player, but he should not cost 1.5m, and we shouldn't be hurting next year's cap. Lorentz is at least cheap and no significant risk; though not really sure why we're signing him. Only really useful if it means purging Reaves, but this feels more like this is going to lead to losing somebody better and having a garbage 4th line again.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Sure they are

He is building a team for this year and not crippling our future like Nonis or Dubas. That's a win.

Reaves for 3
Tanev for 6
OEL for 4
Woll when he isn't proven
Liljegren when he isn't proven
Pacioretty with a bonus that will carry over
6 picks at the deadline last year (they were just mid-picks that he used on players who have no future here, so who cares, is Dewar even going to be on the team? He was the best trade)

Are none forward thinking or you just disagree with his plan? To say he has no plan for the future is ridiculous lol you just don’t like it.

Not forward thinking... I don't mind some of the moves listed above, but he's signing older players to contracts that will hurt in the following years or he is signing players who are a question mark to multi year deals.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Why is he getting games played bonuses? Come on...

This is honestly idiotic.... like this is not their year. This should be a "reset" year; with the cap opening up a bunch next year.

Know where your team is at and own it... if he wants to make $1.5m, just bite the bullet this year and live with whatever other sacrifices that means to todays roster.

At least if it's guaranteed money you can "absorb" it within LTIR which the Leafs are likely to be in all year anyways.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad