GDT: The 2023 NHL Entry Draft, June 28 - 29, 2023

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Here it is: The 2023 NHL Draft GDT.

Our list of picks is for reference below. I will update the OP if we make any deals with some of these picks throughout the day.

Will also try to update the OP as picks are made, and link to each prospect's discussion thread.

RoundPick#OAConditionsPick Made/Disposition
1stDET9N/A9OA: Nate Danielson
1stNYI17From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.17OA: Axel Sandin Pellikka
2ndDET41
2ndSTL42From St. Louis (21 Mar 2022). Leddy Trade
2ndVan43From Vancouver (1 Mar 2023). Hronek Trade.
3rdDET73
4thMIN117From Minnesota (3 Mar 2023). Sundqvist Trade.
5thDET137
6thDET169
7thDET201

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I like Kasper, I think it is a massive mistake if we don't get a center with one of the two first rounders. I think too many are just counting that as the end of the top 6 centers already. It helps that I like Danielson and Moore a lot and have them in my top 10. But I really do think it is important, Dvorsky would also be nice. I want one of those guys though to be honest, I think it is important to the pipeline. It allows for better development and wouldn't have us relying on Veleno's next step or Lombardi being a homerun. All those can happen, but I think Stevie needs to add another high end center to our mix.
I think they're all capable of playing wing, so I'd rather have a center as well. Lombardi might be better suited for wing anyways, and Joey can't win a FO. If they all pan out and Copp winds up being the 4th line center, ten the team is STACKED. Run 4 lines like Seattle does.

Helm is an extreme example but he is an elite skater that struggles in a cycle and with puck possession.

If the floor for Moore was a 2C he would be a consensus top 5-6 pick in this draft.
If this was an average draft, he would be. I mean the US talent alone is so deep, he's playing 2C on his team. In an average draft guys like Gagner and Zadina were taken at #6. I'll take Moore over either.

I think he'll go top 10. One of the GMs will fall in love with his speed. I don't think Moore has a puck possession problem any more than Larkin does. He just like to go directly to the net instead of fiddling around.

Helm was actually good at both cycling and protecting the puck. He just couldn't shoot or direct pass, and had poor puck reflexes near the crease.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
At this point you take whatever picks you have after you acquire DeBrincat and you go get some combination of the following in no particular order: Leonard, Barlow, Honzek, Edstrom, Wood, Musty, Perrault, Danielson, Yager, But, Dvorsky, Nilsson, Nadeau, Dvorak, Ritchie, Rehkopf, Strammel, Bonk, Halttunen, Nelson, Pitre, Molgaard, Bertucci, Julien, Wahlberg, Brindley, Gulyayev, Suniev, Strbak, Shaugabay and some goalie,

That is just about all I have to say about this draft at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
The top 10 is a ridiculously hard group to crack.

Bedard/Fantili/Carlsson/Smith/Leonard/Reinbacher/Michkov/Dvorksy/Benson take up 9 of those spots imo. Then youve got Perreault/Barlow/Willander etc. I can't see him sneaking into the top 10 to put it even more into perspective Vegas has his draft line of o/u 14.5 as a total coinflip.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Same thing.

How dare you, sir!

One is a storied five decades long tradition that has seen champions rinse from all walks of life and across international waters, ingrained in the heart of Americans young and old alike, and has showcased some of the finest demonstration of human endurance and majesty that we have ever had the honor to bear witness to..

...the other is the WNBA

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'll take a shot at the picks. I do think Detroit makes a trade, or two.

#9. Wallinder
#14. Honzek(#17 for Granlund ,#14, NJ 2023 3rd )
#41. Nilsson
#42. Strbak
#43. (Traded: #43 and Boston 2024 1st for Bennett)
#73. Pitre
#90. Cheslock(NJ 2023 3rd)
#117. Chaly
#169. Lutfullin
#201. Khazheyev

If I get anything right I'll be happy.

Reactions: Realgud

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

#9. Wallinder
#41. Nilsson
#42. Strbak
#73. Pitre
#117. Chaly
#169. Lutfullin
#201. Khazheyev

That's the kind of draft I'd be disappointed in personally

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

#9. Wallinder
#41. Nilsson
#42. Strbak

#73. Pitre
#117. Chaly
#169. Lutfullin
#201. Khazheyev

I like the bolded, personally (yes even Granlund).

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Willander really concerns me.
He was a consensus 2nd round pick two mounts ago. Then a big U18’s pushed him to the top 10 conversation? Not sure I would bite on that.
Seems like he is being pushed up just because there aren’t many D men to talk about this year.

He had a similiar draft year to Albert Johansson and in my opinion he profiles like a right handed Aljo. Both solid skating 2 way defenseman, but they aren’t going to blow anybody’s socks off with their puck skills and probably will never see the ice on an NHL power play.

Reactions: lilidk and jfrank21

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He was a consensus 2nd round pick two mounts ago. Then a big U18’s pushed him to the top 10 conversation? Not sure I would bite on that.
Seems like he is being pushed up just because there aren’t many D men to talk about this year.

He had a similiar draft year to Aljo and in my opinion he profiles like a right handed Aljo. Both solid skating 2 way defenseman, but they aren’t going to blow anybody’s socks off with their puck skills and probably will never see the ice on an NHL power play.
And that's perfectly fine. I'll take a right handed Maatta with better skating all day everyday.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
And that's perfectly fine. I'll take a right handed Maatta with better skating all day everyday.
That is fair. Nothing wrong with a Maatta or Methot type.

I would personally swing for something bigger, because it’s not too rare for defensive defensemen to become available via UFA. That’s my thinking.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That is fair. Nothing wrong with a Maatta or Methot type.

I would personally swing for something bigger just because it’s not too rare for defensive defensemen to become available via UFA. That’s my thinking.
Good righties usually get locked up.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
My top 3 for #9 are Dvorsky, Wood, Barlow.
Top 3 for #17 are Willander, Musty, Hzonek.

Not going to pick all the rest, but would like at least one of Edstrom, Wahlberg, Nelson, or Fisker Molgaard with the three 2nds.
Good luck.

EDIT: on the rest

Last edited:

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com

He had a similiar draft year to Albert Johansson and in my opinion he profiles like a right handed Aljo. Both solid skating 2 way defenseman, but they aren’t going to blow anybody’s socks off with their puck skills and probably will never see the ice on an NHL power play.
Personally, Willander has been in my top 20 all year. For better or for worse, I always thought he was way ahead of Pellika and Lindstein, even in league play. The U18 was just a bonus for me.

Reactions: norrisnick

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
Tomorrow we trade Boston's 24 1st for DeBrincat

9 - Perreault
Trade to 14 to take Moore/Barlow

Thats some fire power for offense there!

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Posting ranking here since the consolidated board thread is closed. Added some player comparisons at the top end - these are stylistic comparisons based more on ceiling and not what I expect everyone to turn into.

1 Bedard MacKinnon
2 Fantilli Hintz++
3 Carlsson Tavares
4 Simashev Pietrangelo
5 Danielson Norris
6 Willander Sergachev
7 Benson Point
8 Barlow Pacioretty
9 Michkov
10 Ritchie Scheifele
11 ASP Dunn
12 Leonard Couture
13 Smith Nugent-Hopkins
14 Dvorsky Hertl
15 Perreault Raymond
16 Reinbacher Dobson
17 Moore Kyrou
18 Honzek
19 Morin
20 Rehkopf
21 Musty
22 Yager
23 Edstrom
24 But
25 Nadeau
26 Wood
27 Heidt
28 Bonk
29 Wahlberg
30 Akey
31 Stramel
32 Lind
33 Sawchyn
34 Cristall
35 Gauthier
36 Perron
37 Sale
38 Gulyayev
39 Brindley
40 Halttunen
41 Pekarcik
42 Price
43 Strbak
44 Fisker Molgaard
45 Lindstein
46 Brzustewicz
47 Nelson
48 Stenberg
49 Lardis
50 Dragicevic
51 Molendyk
52 Cowan
53 Gibson
54 Ziemmer
55 Myatovic

After #40 or so I’m less confident on the ranking as some guys I couldn’t find time to watch and aren’t ranked as a result

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad