Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Why trade down to take a worse player? This team can’t afford moves like that. Run to the podium to take Perfetti.
While in this scenario I would just take Perfetti, we see every year that pre-draft rankings dont mean that much.

So trading down to take a "worse player" might not be that at all.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
While in this scenario I would just take Perfetti, we see every year that pre-draft rankings dont mean that much.

So trading down to take a "worse player" might not be that at all.

Especially when I personally don’t see much difference between 8-13 or so. It’s personal preference in that range.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Especially when I personally don’t see much difference between 8-13 or so. It’s personal preference in that range.
I would be ok with perfetti because of his production, which isnt a great reason to pick someone, but its rare someone scores at the rate he did and flops in the NHL.

That sad, it cracks me up when people are mad at GM's for drafting "out of order". Like if it was that simple, they'd just assign players and there would be no reason to have a draft. Redrafts never look like pre-draft rankings so there's always a degree of wait and see.

I'm sure in 2005 someone got mocked for ranking Kopitar above Pouliot or Brule. 2008 Karlsson over Bogo would have been laughed at. 2016, I watched people shocked as CBJ took dubois and not puuljajarvi.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Not my point. I'm noting that it's unfortunate that the odds changes greatly aid two teams, and both are in our division. With how tight the bottom of the standings were, this is a big boon to the Sens because it eliminates the possibility that both Ottawa and/or the Sharks could have moved out of the top-5, and provides Detroit with the certainty that it previously lacked under the rules as they existed as recently as last week.

Yeah, but Ottawa and Detroit have been screwed for the last few years with the draft. I don't agree with the Buffalo "luck" factor. We guaranteed one of Eichel/McDavid in 2014 which was massive. There isn't a player of either caliber in this years. (debatable/Laf) We also had a 1 in 5 chance of winning the Dahlin Lottery (the best D prospect in 30 years) in a place of need. We have fallen a few spots the last few years, but our drafting is not based on Buffalo "luck", its based on terrible pick selection, a bad GM, and a bad scouting staff.

Detriot fell 3 spots in the 2016-2017 draft to pick 9th. In 17-18th they didn't win a top 3 spot and went down 1 place in the draft. Last year they fell 2 spots after being the 4th worst team. They've been a bottom team for awhile now with no top 3 picks. Ottawa is a similar story, by far the worst team last year and had to give their pick to the Avs. (Didn't win lottery, picked 4th) The year before they finished 2nd last to us and fell 3 spots to take Brady. No lottery wins. I have no problem if they both get top 3 picks.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Holloway has limited offensive upside. What is the allure of taking a guy who probably maxs out as a 3 rd liner. This team needs top 6 offensive gunners and he is not one.

Comparing Perfetti to Mitts is silly. Perfetti battles every shift, every play and has racked up huge numbers at every level. Mitts was drafted for his skill level but hadn’t shown huge offensive production or work ethic.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Holloway has limited offensive upside. What is the allure of taking a guy who probably maxs out as a 3 rd liner. This team needs top 6 offensive gunners and he is not one.

Comparing Perfetti to Mitts is silly. Perfetti battles every shift, every play and has racked up huge numbers at every level. Mitts was drafted for his skill level but hadn’t shown huge offensive production or work ethic.
From what I've seen they are similar in that both are supremely skilled, both overtly enamored with stick handling, both lack that extra skating gear, neither are physical and are easily taken out by aggressive forwards that attack them.
Hopefully Mitts works that out in the AHL, Perfetti is OHL for the next 2 years due to age so dipsy doodling to his heart's content

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
From what I've seen they are similar in that both are supremely skilled, both overtly enamored with stick handling, both lack that extra skating gear, neither are physical and are easily taken out by aggressive forwards that attack them.
Hopefully Mitts works that out in the AHL, Perfetti is OHL for the next 2 years due to age so dipsy doodling to his heart's content

you sure you were watching the right a Perfetti?

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Any of y'all like/dislike Lundell?

Seems he's not getting talked about as much as before. I read he was hampering an injury.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd rather take Quinn over Perfetti. Its just me but I get the same don't draft vibe off him that Mittlestadt gave me

The thing with Quinn that scares me is can he score like that away from a playmaker like Rossi.

He could be like DeBrincat who fell in part because of a belief that he was a byproduct of playing with McDavid and Strome. DeBrincat has proven that wasn't the case over time. But, I could see that question being something that scares people off of Quinn.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Seems he's not getting talked about as much as before. I read he was hampering an injury.

Lundell is one of the more polarizing forward prospects in the top half of the first round of this draft.

Some feel he has limited offensive upside and will be more like Johan Larrson and others believe that he has a great two-way game and has the potential to be a Bergeron/Couturier/ROR type player at the NHL level.

If you are debating between Lundell and Holloway, I take Lundell every day of the week.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I’m not interested in Lundell at 7. I’d either rather go for a higher-skilled forward or, like I mentioned yesterday, try to trade down a few spots and pick up another asset.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
The thing with Quinn that scares me is can he score like that away from a playmaker like Rossi.

He could be like DeBrincat who fell in part because of a belief that he was a byproduct of playing with McDavid and Strome. DeBrincat has proven that wasn't the case over time. But, I could see that question being something that scares people off of Quinn.
Quinn and Rossi didn't play together, they were on separate lines. They also didn't get much PP time together as Ottawa spread the offense around

Reactions: Slangston and m0pe

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

I have cooled on him a bit. Would be disappointed with him with our 1st.

He is still a good player who I am sure will become a useful NHLer...I just am not confident it is as a top line (or maybe even top-6 guy). The skating, hands and overall offensive upside is just lacking too much for me to want him top-10.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Quinn and Rossi didn't play together, they were on separate lines. They also didn't get much PP time together as Ottawa spread the offense around

I didn't realize that.

It seems like the late birthday is about the only knock on him.

Although, some people may worry about him being late to the game with regards to working out. But, I like that as it makes me believe he still has some growth as an athlete.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Quinn is 8th on my list.

Sure he is an older player on a stacked team but there isn't much of a knock on him in terms of his game.

He has an elite shot and goal scoring instincts. He is a very good skater, has great hands, and underrated playmaking ability. Strong two-way game and can win battles.

Just a very well rounded player. Can easily see him as 30 goal scorer at the next level.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
I didn't realize that.

It seems like the late birthday is about the only knock on him.

Although, some people may worry about him being late to the game with regards to working out. But, I like that as it makes me believe he still has some growth as an athlete.
Its his late birthday and jump in production. I like that he had his growth spurt and is now 6'1ish, and plays the game right. Goes hard to the net, defensively responsible, PK

Reactions: Jim Bob

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think lundell has some decent offensive instinct just isn't as dynamic as some of the faster guys.

To me what stood out the most about him was his constant involvement in the play. Watching shifts from him, stutzle, raymond, Holtz, perfetti, and rossi, lundell seemed to be constantly involved in all zones while the others were more likely to disappear at times. And I don't really remember him making bad plays, just not the big flashes like the others. Aside from speed I think too many bad angle shots were the biggest criticism I had

Reactions: Der Jaeger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad