Toronto FC: TFC 2024 Season \ Canada Soccer: *Canada advances to COPA Semifinal!*

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
What a dramatic and fantastic win. Canada deserved that game and thankfully the ball didn’t lie and we won in the end. f*** that ref.
That ref was shit.

I played 20 years of soccer. Looking to get back into in my older age but that's another story.

I still hate guys flopping and always have. I know people laugh at that. I do too. Watch a Canadian game... we do sometimes but you have to against the south American and Euro teams.

That was the best I've ever seen the team look. Could have just as easily won by 2-3 goals.
Fun game forsure. Great to watch.

Shootout was brutal but I felt they'd do it... it's all good from here on out.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
The officiating was suspicious to the point of corruption . Just saying.

Well deserved win. Canada we’re vastly superior in every way.

Looks like 2023 was a blip. Canada soccer is back baby!

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Tomorrow is a huge day for the men's program. This is up there with the World Cup qualifying as key moments in the development of these players and potentially the program in general.

Heading into tomorrow, Canada has 1486.7 ranking points (good for 43rd in the world). Argentina is sitting on 1880.22 (36 points up on 2nd in the world).

Potential point outcomes for tomorrow (Note: these may be off by a little bit but should be close):

Argentina WinArgentina Shootout winCanada Shootout winCanada Win
ARG 1887.461880.221880.221880.22
CAN 1486.71499.461509.461519.46

Red text: Scenarios where the team would lose points if this weren't a knockout round game.

Pending other outcomes, Canada could be 43rd (Loss), 39 (PS Loss), 32 (PS win), or 31 (Win).

This is mission accomplished in every sense, but the Argentina squad Canada faces tomorrow isn't the Argentina squad they faced opening night, since Messi isn't 100%. They are still massive underdogs, but they will go into the game and play their hearts out.

Reactions: OddyOh

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Love what da new Canada coach has done to change da lineup and strategy .. bring in 2 new fast big central defenders, a new tender and Schafellburg .. those 4 changes are HUGE .. and those 4 guys bring a dynamic team lacked under previous coach .. also like his D first approach to how he plays his midfield/wingers realizing that we are outgunned in that area against good teams .. finally we got a SMART coach who is maximizing our chances .. we all now see this Herdman guy at TFC has not a clue how to run a team .. sure he is great with his words and building national pride but that does not help when match starts .. clearly Herdman is a weak operator

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Love what da new Canada coach has done to change da lineup and strategy .. bring in 2 new fast big central defenders, a new tender and Schafellburg .. those 4 changes are HUGE .. and those 4 guys bring a dynamic team lacked under previous coach .. also like his D first approach to how he plays his midfield/wingers realizing that we are outgunned in that area against good teams .. finally we got a SMART coach who is maximizing our chances .. we all now see this Herdman guy at TFC has not a clue how to run a team .. sure he is great with his words and building national pride but that does not help when match starts .. clearly Herdman is a weak operator
I disagree. I think TFC's problem is that they have absolutely nothing for depth. The team was so top heavy for so long that they threw away anything resembling depth.

In a perfect world, TFC needs to develop their fullbacks (not rely on vets). Honestly, at this point, a DP CB might be a good idea to stabilize the D.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Jesse Marsch has been such a home run managerial selection. Honestly I am still surprised the CSA got him and maybe just maybe it shows that they are being run like a proper national team program. Herdman did well to get the fans on board and to bring this team some success with the world cup qualifying, but clearly Marsch is a next level manager. I'm been listening to his press work via one soccer on youtube, and he's so well spoken. so professional. what a guy. I was impressed with the hire when he was first announced, but now i don't think i've ever felt this good about Canada soccer.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
As a result of beating Venezuela, Canada is guaranteed two more games, because Copa has a 3rd place game. That means that Canada plays Argentina tomorrow and will play one of Columbia-Uruguay either Saturday (vs loser in 3rd place game) or Sunday (vs winner in championship)

Edit: Doing some quick looking around, that's a guaranteed match against the top team in the world, then a matchup with the 9th or 11th best team in the world (both Colombia and Uruguay are so close in the world rankings that the winner will be 9th regardless of how and the loser will be 11 regardless of how).

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I disagree. I think TFC's problem is that they have absolutely nothing for depth. The team was so top heavy for so long that they threw away anything resembling depth.

In a perfect world, TFC needs to develop their fullbacks (not rely on vets). Honestly, at this point, a DP CB might be a good idea to stabilize the D.
I have not seen enough of TFC play, only 1 game live, but there is something terribly wrong .. for da MLSE top salaried roster seems like either Manning is useless on roster selection OR Herdman is useless managing what he was provided .. given Herdman cost team in world cup in game 1 with atrocious central defense and tending selections I tend to think problem in with him lacking experience but thats only what I saw occur against world class teams .. in concaf he was fine but i think that is because mexico and us are ranked far better than their talent deserves which again showed up at COPA

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
As a result of beating Venezuela, Canada is guaranteed two more games, because Copa has a 3rd place game. That means that Canada plays Argentina tomorrow and will play one of Columbia-Uruguay either Saturday (vs loser in 3rd place game) or Sunday (vs winner in championship)

Edit: Doing some quick looking around, that's a guaranteed match against the top team in the world, then a matchup with the 9th or 11th best team in the world (both Colombia and Uruguay are so close in the world rankings that the winner will be 9th regardless of how and the loser will be 11 regardless of how).
yeah i have been thinking about that third place game from before the venezuela game. I know fans generally view 3rd place games as throw away, but for Canada in it's first ever Copa America, it would be HUGE to take 3rd place. bigger than winning the Gold Cup IMO.

I have not seen enough of TFC play, only 1 game live, but there is something terribly wrong .. for da MLSE top salaried roster seems like either Manning is useless on roster selection OR Herdman is useless managing what he was provided .. given Herdman cost team in world cup in game 1 with atrocious central defense and tending selections I tend to think problem in with him lacking experience but thats only what I saw occur against world class teams .. in concaf he was fine but i think that is because mexico and us are ranked far better than their talent deserves which again showed up at COPA
DING DING!

correct!

Manning sucks at building the team. Absolutely the worst vision.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Also, as much as the tournament has been a blast, the horizon for Canada has the US (Sep 7 in KC), Mexico (Sep 10 in Dallas), then the Nations League QF (somewhere between Nov 11-19)

He is dealing with the hand he was given.

Basically, TFC needs some of the kids to suddenly become MLS regulars if they want to compete. Management has been completely incompetent financially which is why the team will underperform.

The sad truth below that is that I hope some of the kids find their way to Europe to develop (say the English Championship, for example).

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm not expecting anything out of tomorrow's match but the CMNT has already exceeded expectations in this tournament and should be proud of their accomplishments regardless of what happens next.

TFC should get a significant boost once they have a full squad available following the Copa America tournament. Our lack of depth has been exposed in recent weeks.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
FWIW, this isn't the Argentina team that everyone expected when the tournament started,

Even if they ramp up their game, unless Messi is truly 100% (which I doubt), they will likely only be as good as they were in game 1.

That's not to say that this will be easy or that Canada should be anything other than significant underdogs, but there is a path to victory here. Canada's attack has caused absolute nightmares for every team they have faced. With a little more finish, Canada could be 4-0 instead of Argentina.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
One of the ways to evaluate a team is by breaking down the roster by superstars, Champions League starters, Big 5 starters and everything else.

Before Herdman, Canada only had a couple of Big 5 players (including Davies, who was the only one with CL experience).

There are rumors that Cornelius and Bombito could be headed to France.

Canada has the biggest superstar in CONCACAF (Davies is top 20 in the world by any measure)

Johnston will be playing CL as a starter, and David has a chance to join him. Eustaquio has been a CL starter for Porto.

After that, Larin plays for Mallorca, Kone is headed to Marseille. A Shaffelburg move to a big 5 and Canada could have some decent depth there (Buchanan plays for a big 5 team, but isn't a starter).

On the bench, McGill is the backup in Brighton and de Fougerolles is likely to be up with Fulham between now and 2026.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad