LeBrun: Teams Wondering if an Offer Sheet a Plausible Avenue for Necas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Per CF, teams that can do a 123 offer sheet without having to reacquire any pick(s):

Buffalo
Chicago
Detroit
L.A.
Minnesota
Montreal
Nashville
New York Islanders
Philadelphia
Seattle
St. Louis
Utah
Washington

Carolina was an elite team in 2021. The Kotkaniemi pick had limited downside risk. A number of the above would be crazy to give up an unprotected 2025 1st for Necas.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Let me guess…Montreal signs Necas to a team friendly offer sheet which Carolina immediately accepts after 6 days and 23 hours.
Yeah but you overlooked the possibility of someone getting a S Aho signed jersey as part of the deal. Could be the piece that puts it all over the top and puts balm on the animosity.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Let me guess…Montreal signs Necas to a team friendly offer sheet which Carolina immediately accepts after 6 days and 23 hours.
Probably, but they've learned to not be petty and go after a player on the team that offersheets him and then get an absolute anchor of a contract and player.

I don't know what the cap hit is for 4 1sts, but it's gotta be high and if you're offering that for Necas you need to be kicked out of the league.

Reactions: EveryDay

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
We’ve already shown we’d match so it would have to be a legit big offer. I love me some Necas but I don’t think a team would do that. If you did go big I doubt we’d match.
Carolina has shown they will match for a player they want. I think the reason you could theoretically expect an offersheet is Carolina doesn't actually want Necas.

The reason they haven't traded him is the think other teams view him as an impact top 6 forward, and want to be paid for that, but at the same time, the Hurricanes don't think he is that.

I don't expect an offersheet, but theoretically if you give him a contract that Carolina views as a "negative value" contract, you can undercut his perceived trade value in compensation.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
From what I've read on this is Necas wants out of Carolina. I have no idea why, because they're a good team, but I guess he wants to be "the guy" somewhere else.

So why would he sign an offer sheet (presumably long term), that CAR could always just match?

Ledge And Dairy

Per CF, teams that can do a 123 offer sheet without having to reacquire any pick(s):

Buffalo
Chicago
Detroit
L.A.
Minnesota
Montreal
Nashville
New York Islanders
Philadelphia
Seattle
St. Louis
Utah
Washington

Carolina was an elite team in 2021. The Kotkaniemi pick had limited downside risk. A number of the above would be crazy to give up an unprotected 2025 1st for Necas.
I would probably exclude Chicago, Montreal, LA, and Philly. The rest would probably all at least consider it. LA definitely can't afford, NYI and Minny probably can't either but I could see them making the room

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Carolina has shown they will match for a player they want. I think the reason you could theoretically expect an offersheet is Carolina doesn't actually want Necas.

The reason they haven't traded him is the think other teams view him as an impact top 6 forward, and want to be paid for that, but at the same time, the Hurricanes don't think he is that.

I don't expect an offersheet, but theoretically if you give him a contract that Carolina views as a "negative value" contract, you can undercut his perceived trade value in compensation.

This is wrong. The Canes want to keep Necas and see him as quite valuable. It's the Necas camp who is requesting a trade.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Worked out good on the KK one eh....

This is wrong. The Canes want to keep Necas and see him as quite valuable. It's the Necas camp who is requesting a trade.
Any idea why? The kid doesn't like the coach?

Any idea why? The kid doesn't like the coach?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Well the reason they haven’t traded him is mostly because we were all talking trade here based on one rumor that was apparently wrong. The Canes weren’t shopping him initially and were trying to work it out. Now over the last week or so it seems it’s game on. We’re still not even at the draft yet, so it’s not like this has dragged out really. They promised him a bigger role next season, so it wouldn’t shock me if they match. Obviously we need to see the details. If it’s short term high AAV they’d match. If it’s high AAV for mid term they probably match. If it’s high AAV for seven years they probably don’t, but then you’re stuck with Necas long term and we don’t know if he’s worth the big AAV really. Really big risk for a team. I think this is just smoke to make the off season interesting, or teams wondering such a concept just to get the price of a Necas trade down a bit.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Buffalo
Chicago
Detroit
L.A.
Minnesota
Montreal
Nashville
New York Islanders
Philadelphia
Seattle
St. Louis
Utah
Washington

Even a reasonable 123 offer probably gets a match from Carolina.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Even a reasonable 123 offer probably gets a match from Carolina.
At the low end, $6.8M? Sure.

But if you are trying to get the player, you make the highest offer you can in the compensation bracket. That’s $9.161M AAV, which is a lot for Necas.

What would be the compensation for 7.5 x 7?
7.5M * 7 = 52.5M.

5 years is the most they will divide the offer sheet by, so 52.5/5 = 10.5M.

2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad