Team Trajectory

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I can see the logic with d-men needing a longer runway before being ready to contribute at the NHL level. IMO - Hawks will end up with another top 5 pick next year, and probably not much better than that in 2025/26 with a bunch of the kids currently in the pipeline replacing the Hall, AA, Donato, Martinez, etc currently on the roster.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
If you look at the 2025 draft crop , none of the D look elite while many of the forwards do. I was on the Demidov train but when you consider this and the fact so many forwards in our system look like solid Nhler's picking Levshunov was probably the astute move . If there are any people missing Kirby Dach this guy seems like a better version , who should be available where we are going to pick .

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
If you look at the 2025 draft crop , none of the D look elite while many of the forwards do. I was on the Demidov train but when you consider this and the fact so many forwards in our system look like solid Nhler's picking Levshunov was probably the astute move . If there are any people missing Kirby Dach this guy seems like a better version , who should be available where we are going to pick .

Unless they have a subpar season, I doubt the Hawks will be in position to pick McQueen or Martone. I'm expecting the Hawks to pick in the 4-7 range.
Things stay as they are, and those two are probably going top 3.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Unless they have a subpar season, I doubt the Hawks will be in position to pick McQueen or Martone. I'm expecting the Hawks to pick in the 4-7 range.
I'd agree with drafting in the 3-7 range. I do think that with the number of high end forward prospects that there are other options that are really close in potential, and the Hawks should be in position to add an elite forward prospect.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I'd agree with drafting in the 3-7 range. I do think that with the number of high end forward prospects that there are other options that are really close in potential, and the Hawks should be in position to add an elite forward prospect.
I don't doubt that they're going to get a nice F next year, but a guy with primo skill+size is far from guaranteed.

If they can't get that, I hope it's someone who is a good bet to stick at C as Bedard is questionable there atm.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Big thing about Demidov vs Levshunov is whether you truly believe Lev will hit and become a #1D. I think he holds a good chance, but I don't feel confident enough to bet money on it; Hawks brass felt differently.

I take solace in the fact we're looking at a top 6 or so pick for next year. A lot of good forwards that can ride shotgun to Bedard, or be an outstanding 2C (one of those that could be a 1C elsewhere).

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Other than Hagens and Martone there's going to be alot of moving parts this year with prospects. Some guys who are projected top 10 now will slip as well as guys who aren't even a thought in the first round soar up the draft boards cuz of their season. Not a doubt in my mind though thay those two will stay in the top 3 in some form.

Reactions: HawksDub89

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think Matt Schaefer goes top 5. Maybe higher.

He’s been very impressive.
He had a good first Hlinka game, thats for sure. He'll be among the youngest players in the entire draft as well. Will depend on his offense this year for Erie.

He's been through a lot, his billet mom committed suicide and his mother died from breast cancer within a 3 month period.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
I can think of 2 anaheim and SJ. Ott, Calgary, Utah, montreal, Columbus will probably be in the mix for 3-8 along with the hawks. I see the hawks in the 70's point wise which would put them around #5th.
I can agree with that mostly. I think Utah is going to be better than most people do and I'm pretty sure Washington will be bad. And of course Pittsburgh will bottom out right in time to get McKenna...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
With tge expected vast improvement in offense the Haws should get at least 73-77 points this season ...at most maybe 82 points......but this all depends on how much improvement also cones from cutting down opposition scoronging against the Hawks..

Last season...despite dreadful defense overall,there was positive improvement in the 2st D pairing...Vlasic managed to get Seth Jones down to ONLY -15 from the dreadful-39amd -39totals of the prior two seasons.. Vladic did game a bit as the seadoson wore down from his stellar defending of the fist 3/4of tgecsesdon but overall he was our best drma defending dman.

The pair should get better +/- as the puck will be less in our zone this sessonon with the improved expected offense from the free agents we signed...
At minimumI expected Jones to actually pistca positive +/- ..0to +5is not that hard to think is realistic .We also shoukd get better goaltending from the Brossoit signing..

If all goes even better then maybe we see Jones and Vlasic get to +15 or better ?

They will not be +30s..our team offense is not going to be that level to produce that much difference.

The 3rd pairing of 2 vests...Martinez and Bridie need only be a neutral 0tp+5and we would call that a success.

The hardest expectation is with Kaiser and Murohy as 2nd pairing.

If Murphy is Barfy again like last season that will drag Kaiser doen with hom..If Murphy is -39bad again that will force LR to bench hom..I do not know how long the rope will extend ..
Halfxazsrsson?

If Murphy returns to "normal" Murohy we should expect a 0to+5 kind of hold the fort ok average acceptable range for the pairing.Much minutes.. hold tge fort ..but no real big difference..Sort of like tgex3rd pairing expectation range.

However ..with the better (hopefully) improved offense,maybe they too can get to +15 or better plus/minus..Maybe Murphy posts hos best sesson ever?

So really tge concern about how much the Hawks will improve at ES is all on Murphy and which version we get.

If we just get a rebound year to normal for hom that is barely acceptable but we will take it gladly...If however he plays his best ever level ,the that will push the Hawks higher than most expect ..not to playoff level but flirting aWith a .500 or just above it level.

Nobody expects this team to be a 95 point playoff level team..We at least expect low 70s points but maybe if Murphy plays well,it can be a pint a game level team ?

But if he just cannot play anymore at anacceptable level that will mitigate how high the inprovenent from the rest of the team will get to.

In this sense ...besides health of key players,the X factor in how much improvement Hawks can achieve IS Connor Murphy.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
They will be looking so great if they can find the Malkin to Bedard's Crosby in the next draft.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
They will be looking so great if they can find the Malkin to Bedard's Crosby in the next draft.

Not gonna lie I’m kinda getting jealous of what SJ has done. Seems like they’ve surpassed the Hawks in terms of future outlook all in one summer. Like you said it’s that drop off from Bedard to the rest of our forward prospects that’s hurting us rn. We desperately need to find our “Will Smith”.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

I’m really hoping we aren’t going to be as good record wise as the improvement on paper initially leads one to believe. Hopefully we get lucky and the kids develop but also the team piles up the losses cuz man o man would it make a huge difference to land another top 3 pick instead of landing in the 4-7 range. Let the tank roll on.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I’m really hoping we aren’t going to be as good record wise as the improvement on paper initially leads one to believe. Hopefully we get lucky and the kids develop but also the team piles up the losses cuz man o man would it make a huge difference to land another top 3 pick instead of landing in the 4-7 range. Let the tank roll on.
Depends so much on health IMO. Hawks got essentially nothing from Hall or AA last year, and with adding TT and TB along with growth from Bedard the potential is there for a significant improvement. Goaltending wise who TF knows. Mrazek was great last year, and Soderbloom was a guaranteed loss. I think some regression for Mrazek will be more than offset by having a legit NHL goaltending in Brossoilt. Probably see a 15-20 point improvement.

Being in the bottom 3 teams really depends on how teams like ANA and CLM develop. I can build cases for them to take strides or implode. I don't think that UT, MON, or OTT will be that bad. I honestly don't see anyone else except ANA or CLM potentially in the CHI/SJ tier of bad next year.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Not gonna lie I’m kinda getting jealous of what SJ has done. Seems like they’ve surpassed the Hawks in terms of future outlook all in one summer. Like you said it’s that drop off from Bedard to the rest of our forward prospects that’s hurting us rn. We desperately need to find our “Will Smith”.
Other than landing Bedard out of sheer luck I haven't really been overly impressed with KD. When it comes to FA he way overpays, he never takes a shot at kids on Waiver wire, and he misses all opportunities to acquire young ascending talent. I really don't think he is a good GM

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I guess future outlook doesn’t include defense, which San Jose is ridiculously behind on.

Other than landing Bedard out of sheer luck I haven't really been overly impressed with KD. When it comes to FA he way overpays, he never takes a shot at kids on Waiver wire, and he misses all opportunities to acquire young ascending talent. I really don't think he is a good GM
Which free agents has he overpaid? Which kids on the waiver wire did he not take a shot at? Which opportunities did he miss to acquire young ascending talent?

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I guess future outlook doesn’t include defense, which San Jose is ridiculously behind on.

Which free agents has he overpaid? Which kids on the waiver wire did he not take a shot at? Which opportunities did he miss to acquire young ascending talent?
I'm not a huge fan of his drafting and trading ability. I think he doesn't get enough when selling and overpays when buying.

One improvement of his is that he doesn't overpay long-term. Everyone knows what they were doing with Foligno/Perry/AA last year.

The Bertuzzi, TT and Vlasic contracts were great.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It wasn’t sheer luck. He dismantled the team and intentionally placed us in the position to have the best shot at the highest draft picks. Sheer luck would’ve been us finishing 8th or something and then winning the Bedard lotto.

The waiver wire, really? Oh man we sure are missing out on that epic talent pool.

We have no cap space issues and the single problematic contract on the team wasn’t signed by KD.

You’re being critical for the sake of being critical.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Being in the bottom 3 teams really depends on how teams like ANA and CLM develop. I can build cases for them to take strides or implode. I don't think that UT, MON, or OTT will be that bad. I honestly don't see anyone else except ANA or CLM potentially in the CHI/SJ tier of bad next year.
Agreed and I don’t see where the Hawks are going to be jumping up the standings. San Jose may not even be as terrible this season as they were the last. The Hawks are in a pool of 5-6 teams worst teams in the league where anything can happen so I’m assuming we’ll be somewhere in that range. With a little lotto luck we’re going to be just fine.

The players we signed are an improvement on our AHL level roster but Bertuzzi, Teravainen, and Maroon aren’t going to be 70+ point players. Alec Martinez and Broissoit aren’t going to prevent us from giving up 280 goals against next year either. All of these signing just gave us a NHL roster instead of the tweener squad we were icing. Which is great, honestly. Bedard gets to play on a real team, albeit still a bad one, and get more comfortable in the league.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of his drafting and trading ability. I think he doesn't get enough when selling and overpays when buying.

One improvement of his is that he doesn't overpay long-term. Everyone knows what they were doing with Foligno/Perry/AA last year.

The Bertuzzi, TT and Vlasic contracts were great.

I'm not sure how anyone can not be a fan of his trading ability (unless you mean his trading during the draft in which case you still don't know how any of those trade ups are gonna turn out). He got Mrazek AND a pick for free, he got Dickinson AND a pick for free, Foligno and Hall (we'll see how Hall does this year) for nothing (Foligno's leadership in that room is second to none for those kids in the future) I can go on and on.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I'm not sure how anyone can not be a fan of his trading ability (unless you mean his trading during the draft in which case you still don't know how any of those trade ups are gonna turn out). He got Mrazek AND a pick for free, he got Dickinson AND a pick for free, Foligno and Hall (we'll see how Hall does this year) for nothing (Foligno's leadership in that room is second to none for those kids in the future) I can go on and on.
I don't think he got enough for DeBrincat and the trade up this past year was stupid.

Now DeBrincat hasn't been the same player since being traded but that's beside the point.

Reactions: BHFAN92

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I don't think he got enough for DeBrincat and the trade up this past year was stupid.

Now DeBrincat hasn't been the same player since being traded but that's beside the point.

I'm sure Ottawa would do that trade all over again 10 times out of 10. And the fact you listed one trade (and even that one is debatable) when I gave you several isn't helping your argument.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I'm sure Ottawa would do that trade all over again 10 times out of 10. And the fact you listed one trade (and even that one is debatable) when I gave you several isn't helping your argument.
I thought the trade up was stupid this year and I'm not sure he's getting enough for cap dumps. They should have gotten a decent draft pick for taking Hall like the Habs did for taking Laine.

I don't think picking 50 vs 54 was the difference between getting Vanacker or not and Boisvert probably would have been available at 20. They gave away a pick for no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad