Post-Game Talk: Team is still broken

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Is there anymore McDrai bathwater to go around? They haven't been good enough offensively, and they have been pretty shit defensively.

Leadership is called leadership for a reason. They're expected to carry the load at times.
At times. LMAO

As if McDrai haven’t been carrying the load exclusively for the better part of a decade.

The next time someone else on this team carries the load will be the first time it’s not one of McDavid or Draisaitl since 2015.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Janmark was horrible and has been all season. At some point age catches up. Ryan ain't up to much either. They can look busy sometimes, they can also look behind the play and chasing things out there.
Janmark wasn't much last season either until the playoffs. Janmark and Ryan are fine as #13 and #14 forwards and passable as 4th liners but not close to being quality 3rd liners.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The only players who look slow are RNH, Perry and Ryan.

Did I mention how bad RNH has been?

It’s so discouraging that after 10 years our best two players still apparently need a new coach every year to get them motivated to play a two way game. I honestly thought we were done with this shit last year. Apparently not.
Puck just didn’t go in for us tonight, as many have said. Played well for the most part but Anderson stole this one.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Both things are true. Perhaps the truer look at this team right now would be a 2-0 shutout with nobody cashing anything. Only McD scored, and they were two beauties. Takes a whole team to win a game. Where are the rest?
They were tied with 10 seconds left in the game. His bad decision led to the game winning goal against. IMO, nothing before that matters anymore. If there’s 10 seconds left in the game and they’re already losing and that play happens it doesn’t matter.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I would have never dreamed he would have that stat line and we have had 17 PP's?

Still pathetic

We basically get not even 2.5 PP a game with how much we posses the puck

Yes, it's "loser talk", but I CAN'T STAND that the refs did not call CAR for hooking SKinner at the end of the 2nd when we were up 2-0

That could have been a dagger, but they score on their PP.

HYman high sticked. Skinner tripped on that wrap around

Refs play a hand in too many games

I think the had very little to do with the result.

I would have never dreamed he would have that stat line and we have had 17 PP's?

Still pathetic

We basically get not even 2.5 PP a game with how much we posses the puck

Yes, it's "loser talk", but I CAN'T STAND that the refs did not call CAR for hooking SKinner at the end of the 2nd when we were up 2-0

That could have been a dagger, but they score on their PP.

HYman high sticked. Skinner tripped on that wrap around

Refs play a hand in too many games
I don’t think the refs had much to do with the result. Most of our issues are self inflicted.

Reactions: guymez

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I think I'm still too satisfied with last few seasons to be worried, for the first time in my life as a fan of anything. The run this team had last year really sold me I think on the idea of putting the decade of darkness and all that behind, and setting new expectations based on what the McDavid era has brought us. While we haven't seen a cup in that time, we've generally seen growth in areas big enough to make us an even bigger threat the following season somehow.

Last season I was convinced we were out of the playoff picture, only to rattle off 16 in a row and look unstoppable. Until this team gives me a concrete reason to think we won't somehow improve on our last postseason performance in some way, they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Next game is the start of a 17 game winning streak, or the last loss in the most recent losing skid. There's no way the NHL suddenly finds a way to suddenly contain the talent and experience this team has in doing exactly the kind of shit they're doing right now for any extended period of time.

As of right now, knowing what I know with perfect hindsight, there are only 3 Oilers squads I would bet on to win the cup if the playoffs were "re played" for some reason, simply because of how impressive they are to look back on, despite the frustration at times (2006, 2023), and in the case of this years team, who I would absolutely bet on right now even without the benefit of hindsight, it's because last years team was improved upon no matter how you cut it this year. The chemistry might not be there yet, but in recent history, the team has proven that somehow, they end up making even guys like connor brown end up with masses of fans calling for his re-signing after showing up so huge for so games that were so few, but so massive in significance.

That felt kinda therapeutic to type out. It's nice to feel relaxed a bit when the teams struggles, after proving time after time in recent years that the insurmountable struggles especially in the regular season, have almost always been the afterthought of the season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They were tied with 10 seconds left in the game. His bad decision led to the game winning goal against. IMO, nothing before that matters anymore. If there’s 10 seconds left in the game and they’re already losing and that play happens it doesn’t matter.
It was a terrible play and decision by McD. I critiqued it. But he's also the only reason we were in this game along with Skinner. We lose this game 2-0 without McD. Thus me saying both things can be true.

The way this team is not cashing this year I don't think we were winning this one in shootout either.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The Oilers are great at giving their all for spurts in games... 20 minutes here... 10 minutes there... but never for a full game.

Case in point is they've been outscored 11-4 in 3rd periods this year. When the chips are down... unfortunately the Oilers fold more often than not.

Sad part is I think they DO care... I just don't know if they have the horses to match their level of care... ie their collective age, lack of speed, and weariness from going balls to the wall last season to make the playoffs and grind their way to the SC finals is what has put them in a hole now.

Teams regress all the time... and chemistry and stamina has ebbs and flows even on a team wide basis.

I'm only trying to make sense of what I'm seeing and sure it might be some bad puck luck and may take more time for the team to gel... but I think this roster has some obvious issues.

When Skinner plays likely the best game you are going to see him play in weeks/months and they STILL lose... there's definitely some problems on the team.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We are shitting on McDrai for not doing enough but they have 14 points through 7 games... the rest of the 17 skaters on the team have 22 points COMBINED.

Once again it looks like McDrai are going to have to carry the team and drag the team to the playoffs on their weary, broken backs.

Good luck in the playoffs with that load of corpses on them all season long.
Don’t forget though that McDrai get pretty much all the pp time and that usually inflates scoring by a fair bit. They haven’t looked right all year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Three coaches. Same malaise. This has always been grossly overstated as a coaching issue. Shocking though this year with the load up of forward depth to see such a power outage along with a flaccid PP. I'm not surprised the PK has regressed badly this year. The defense is substantively worse this season.

Still a winnable game tonight. Same for two periods with the Dallas game.

Need more guys paddling offensive results. McDavid needs to be more selfish.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The Oilers are great at giving their all for spurts in games... 20 minutes here... 10 minutes there... but never for a full game.

Case in point is they've been outscored 11-4 in 3rd periods this year. When the chips are down.. unfortunately the Oilers fold more often than not.

Sad part is I think they DO care... I just don't know if they have the horses to match their level of care.. ie their collective age, lack of speed, and weariness from going balls to the wall last season to make the playoffs and grind their way to the SC finals is what has put them in a hole now.

Teams regress all the time... and chemistry and stamina has ebbs and flows even on a team wide basis.

I'm only trying to make sense of what I'm seeing and sure it might be some bad puck luck and may take more time for the team to gel... but I think this roster has some obvious issues.

When Skinner plays likely the best game you are going to see him play in weeks/months and they STILL lose... there's definitely some problems on the team.
Never anything close to 60mins yet and with this lineup and roster I question if they can do it. Almost every game we're wilting as game goes on. Third period has been our worst. Something I've been spotting all season so far. Thanks for the stat.

its a solid post anyway. This team will find a way, they always do, but I don't see them as any world beaters without appreciable help at TDL. Can't stand pat on this lineup.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
At times. LMAO

As if McDrai haven’t been carrying the load exclusively for the better part of a decade.

The next time someone else on this team carries the load will be the first time it’s not one of McDavid or Draisaitl since 2015.
No one else is making close to their paychecks either. There should be a higher expectation there.

• Love
Reactions: Oilhawks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No one else is making close to their paychecks either. There should be a higher expectation there.

Higher expectations for McDavid and Draisaitl seems to be no expectations for anyone else on the roster for some on this forum.

McDavid and Draisaitl have more goals and points than the entire rest of the forward group combined.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Team isn’t slow. They’re just playing stupid hockey looking for low percentage plays instead of taking what’s open.
The team is slow. Up and down the lineup.

At the top, Hyman is much slower than even a season ago, Draisaitl skates like he's being mounted by a rhino and Connor has clearly lost a few steps over the past couple seasons.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think I'm still too satisfied with last few seasons to be worried, for the first time in my life as a fan of anything. The run this team had last year really sold me I think on the idea of putting the decade of darkness and all that behind, and setting new expectations based on what the McDavid era has brought us. While we haven't seen a cup in that time, we've generally seen growth in areas big enough to make us an even bigger threat the following season somehow.

Last season I was convinced we were out of the playoff picture, only to rattle off 16 in a row and look unstoppable. Until this team gives me a concrete reason to think we won't somehow improve on our last postseason performance in some way, they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Next game is the start of a 17 game winning streak, or the last loss in the most recent losing skid. There's no way the NHL suddenly finds a way to suddenly contain the talent and experience this team has in doing exactly the kind of shit they're doing right now for any extended period of time.

As of right now, knowing what I know with perfect hindsight, there are only 3 Oilers squads I would bet on to win the cup if the playoffs were "re played" for some reason, simply because of how impressive they are to look back on, despite the frustration at times (2006, 2023), and in the case of this years team, who I would absolutely bet on right now even without the benefit of hindsight, it's because last years team was improved upon no matter how you cut it this year. The chemistry might not be there yet, but in recent history, the team has proven that somehow, they end up making even guys like connor brown end up with masses of fans calling for his re-signing after showing up so huge for so games that were so few, but so massive in significance.

That felt kinda therapeutic to type out. It's nice to feel relaxed a bit when the teams struggles, after proving time after time in recent years that the insurmountable struggles especially in the regular season, have almost always been the afterthought of the season.
Nice positive post, but keep a couple things in mind. This is a different team from last year with lots of changes. There is no guarantee that the same chemistry and results will reproduce themselves. As in regards to another 16 game winning streak or anything close to it, that particular stretch was historic and only comes around in very few years, so expecting for something like that to happen again is rather naive.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Don’t forget though that McDrai get pretty much all the pp time and that usually inflates scoring by a fair bit. They haven’t looked right all year.
That's fair (and the PP has been dogcrap as well in large part due to Hyman/Bouchard/RNH as well).

Point stands though... McDrai have 39% of the teams goals+assists so far. I doubt there's any other 2 players across the NHL that are depended on for that level of offensive production on their teams.

At that level of production they should be making $34 million between them if they are relied on for 39% of offensive production.

Its definitely time for some other players to contribute more.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Higher expectations for McDavid and Draisaitl seems to be no expectations for anyone else on the roster for some on this forum.

McDavid and Draisaitl have more goals and points than the entire rest of the forward group combined.
And they probably should given expectation, ice time, playing together and far better opportunities. It will even out more as the season goes on.

• Haha
Reactions: Spawn

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
The team is slow. Up and down the lineup.

At the top, Hyman is much slower than even a season ago, Draisaitl skates like he's being mounted by a rhino and Connor has clearly lost a few steps over the past couple seasons.
Do you think they looked slower than the Hurricanes or Stars? I don't think it's speed, it's just finishing

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
A couple of long runs the past couple of years, mean we may need a bit more time to get into sync
Opponents who actually prepare for us every night because we are considered the cup favourites now
Perhaps resting on our laurels a little bit right now

I’m not going to worry right now. If this is December, different story.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Here's an illuminating stat...

Last season McDrai combined for 238 points.
Last season all skaters on the team combined for 799 pts.

So... last season McDrai scored 29.8% of the team's points.

This year they are scoring 38.9% of the team's points.

Maybe this is about all we can expect of McDrai... if teams know there's 2 key offensive weapons they are obviously going to gameplan around that fact and focus on how to neutralize those key players.

The rest of the team is going to have to step up and fill the void.

I'm personally shocked at those stats.

The team surrounding McDrai has been horrendous... sure we can ask more and more and more from McDrai... but how much can they honestly be expected to provide night after night under that pressure knowing if they don't put points up... chances are the team loses almost automatically.

Case in point... even in Gretzky's and Coffey's top scoring season back in 85/86 when Gretzky had his record 215 pts and Coffey had 138 pts... those 2 "only" provided 30.3% of the team's goals + assists.

Are we expecting McDrai to be superhuman all year and drag this team to the playoffs while trying to do basically everything for this team? That's not sustainable and you know the chances of one (or both) of them burning out and/or getting injured are massive if that's the case. Not a good recipe for success.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Here's an illuminating stat...

Last season McDrai combined for 238 points.
Last season all skaters on the team combined for 799 pts.

So... last season McDrai scored 29.8% of the team's points.

This year they are scoring 38.9% of the team's points.

Maybe this is about all we can expect of McDrai... if teams know there's 2 key offensive weapons they are obviously going to gameplan around that fact and focus on how to neutralize those key players.

The rest of the team is going to have to step up and fill the void.

I'm personally shocked at those stats.

The team surrounding McDrai has been horrendous... sure we can ask more and more and more from McDrai... but how much can they honestly be expected to provide night after night under that pressure knowing if they don't put points up... chances are the team loses almost automatically.

Case in point... even in Gretzky's and Coffey's top scoring season back in 85/86 when Gretzky had his record 215 pts and Coffey had 138 pts... those 2 "only" provided 30.3% of the team's goals + assists.

Are we expecting McDrai to be superhuman all year and drag this team to the playoffs while trying to do basically everything for this team? That's not sustainable and you know the chances of one (or both) of them burning out and/or getting injured are massive if that's the case. Not a good recipe for success.
It’s a small sample size where the oilers have been one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. Only San Jose has scored less and it’s one less goal than us. The % is going to be skewed.

Reactions: Oilhawks and guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad