Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] Shattenkirk to TB (1 year, $1.75M)

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Disagree. There are a lot of mouths to feed on the TB blue line. He will be clearly behind Hedman and McDonagh. Sergachev is a ticking time bomb to break out as an elite defensemen as well. No team in the league can support a 70 point defensemen and two 40 point defensemen. Plus the whole world will be watching come playoffs and that is plenty of opportunity for him to get exposed on national TV.

If he truly wanted to rebuild his value and was looking to be in the best position to get to 40 points he would have been better off signing on a team where he would be one of the top dawgs on the back end. A team like Edmonton for example. Or Ottawa, I mean someone has to score there and playing alongside Chabot he would rack up the points by default.

I have a feeling a new multi year contract in 2020 is the last thing on his mind right now.
Much more likely a repeat of Washington, with their group when he was there. He was absolutely terrible and probably should have been in the press box a lot more than he was. In Tampa, he could, and probably should, be a healthy scratch instead of Schenn.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Disagree. There are a lot of mouths to feed on the TB blue line. He will be clearly behind Hedman and McDonagh. Sergachev is a ticking time bomb to break out as an elite defensemen as well. No team in the league can support a 70 point defensemen and two 40 point defensemen. Plus the whole world will be watching come playoffs and that is plenty of opportunity for him to get exposed on national TV.

If he truly wanted to rebuild his value and was looking to be in the best position to get to 40 points he would have been better off signing on a team where he would be one of the top dawgs on the back end. A team like Edmonton for example. Or Ottawa, I mean someone has to score there and playing alongside Chabot he would rack up the points by default.

I have a feeling a new multi year contract in 2020 is the last thing on his mind right now.

Does not sound like that to me
Shattenkirk has 'huge chip' on shoulder for Lightning

"The second half of the year last year down the stretch, I felt and our scouts that watched him play on a regular basis felt that he had bounced back pretty nicely, had really rebounded and was back to his old form," BriseBois said. "And in talking to Kevin, the fact that he's been able to have a full summer of training when he's healthy and confident, we expect him to be a strong contributor for our team this season."

"You know, this is obviously an important year for me to show everyone I'm back to my old self and prove that I can be a player in this league again," Shattenkirk said. "In order for that to happen, you want to put yourself in the best position, and I think this is one of the best positions by far I can be in as a player."

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Much more likely a repeat of Washington, with their group when he was there. He was absolutely terrible and probably should have been in the press box a lot more than he was. In Tampa, he could, and probably should, be a healthy scratch instead of Schenn.
Nah, there were nights where we really needed another puck-mover. Particularly in the playoffs. Less so in the season, obviously, but if management has addressed it as a need, my guess is we use Shattenkirk as a puck-mover on the third pair, mainly, but he could see time on any pairing, really.

Not expecting huge things. 20-some points while being sheltered. But it makes us better to have a guy other than Hedman who can break out nicely, and quickly. No doubt he comes with warts. But our left side is built for babysitting.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
When I heard this I wanted to vomit. My prediction he will be waived by 1 Nov.

The guys last 20GP in ny puts him at a 56Pts 232sog pace (per 82)

He’s going to crush it... dude gets injured... takes a while to recover and now he’s nothing lol

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

He’s going to crush it... dude gets injured... takes a while to recover and now he’s nothing lol
He won't get the same playtime in Tampa. He will most likely play <14 minutes and <1:30 PP/TOI with us. He won't be able to put up anywhere near those numbers.

Taking his numbers from his last 20 games in NYR really doesn't mean anything for Tampa. Basically if he puts up 25 points and doesn't shit the bed, we basically got what we needed out of him.

Reactions: DaBolts

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He won't get the same playtime in Tampa. He will most likely play <14 minutes and <1:30 PP/TOI with us. He won't be able to put up anywhere near those numbers.

Taking his numbers from his last 20 games in NYR really doesn't mean anything for Tampa. Basically if he puts up 25 points and doesn't **** the bed, we basically got what we needed out of him.

The quotes from Brisbois and Shattenkirk does not sound like that will be his usage at all

I’m just going by what they were saying a few days ago

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Sergachev was not all that impressive last season. If Shattenkirk comes out strong and Sergachev looks like he's still struggling, I wouldn't be shocked to see them give Shattenkirk more time.

The door is cracked. He just has to kick it open. Whether he will or not is the question.

Given the usage of Rutta over a healthy Coburn in the playoffs last year just go to show that anything is a possibility.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

His last decent year was 16 sure injuries have nicked him he has averaged 11 goals a year since 16 and years of 56,23 and 28 points playing 80,46 and 73 games. He is slow and behind the play much of the time now and his PIM's just confirm that averaging mid 40's in pims are in ,line with Hedmans but his output is well below. His TOI for his career is 20.46 and Hedman 22.55.

In short Shattenkirk still thinks he is a 1D and was paid as such in NY but was bought out. Now can he revive his play to that of his St Louis days? History is not on his side. At best he is the #5 guy in Tampa at worst he is a rotating 7 that will hold up the young guys from getting there needed games developing them.

He will be a asset 5 on 5 but special teams he is too slow to keep up with the PP and will be burned on the PK that was among the best in the league last year.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Shattenkirk at 16 mins/gm of ES ice time, and top 6 matchups... not great.
Shattenkirk at 14-15 mins/gm of ES ice time, bottom 6 matchups... good.

With a reduced load and more favorable usage, he will be a great addition to their depth. Very good addition.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His last decent year was 16 sure injuries have nicked him he has averaged 11 goals a year since 16 and years of 56,23 and 28 points playing 80,46 and 73 games. He is slow and behind the play much of the time now and his PIM's just confirm that averaging mid 40's in pims are in ,line with Hedmans but his output is well below. His TOI for his career is 20.46 and Hedman 22.55.

In short Shattenkirk still thinks he is a 1D and was paid as such in NY but was bought out. Now can he revive his play to that of his St Louis days? History is not on his side. At best he is the #5 guy in Tampa at worst he is a rotating 7 that will hold up the young guys from getting there needed games developing them.

He will be a asset 5 on 5 but special teams he is too slow to keep up with the PP and will be burned on the PK that was among the best in the league last year.

?

He won't have a PK role, and, just a guess, his PP role will be limited. He's coming in as, like you said, about a #5. We'll shelter him and hope he can create some offense.

Reactions: DaBolts

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Shattenkirk
I think it was more 10 points in last 21 games. Anyway, I expect at least 35 points for him this season. He just didn't fit our roster after we stocked up on D-men and he was the scapegoat in clearing cap. If we would have been able to trade him at 50%, I'm sure any team that got him would have been satisfied with his production at that cost.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
giphy.gif

He's going to eat up 12-14 minutes per game, maybe a tad more depending on matchups.

He gives us a solid blue line offensive option as a D5-6, and keeps our first 4 healthy. If we limit his minutes and Sergechev barfs the rug he can replace him and gives us an April-May option we did not have with the old farts we had before.

Enjoy.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Hedman - Cernak
McDonagh - Sergachev
Coburn - Shattenkirk/Schenn

That D tho....

Fixed it for you. Plus no Rutta is at least worth a "I Love You Man" for JBB. I hope JBB sends him down or out or to Anaheim or wherever. Hell, I hope he goes to wherever Planet Groot is. Just not in our lineup.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Watch Shattenkirk play 18+ mins a night and peoples heads explode. His game is fine, and I actually think he'll thrive in Tampa with those forwards. Look at the offense he was surrounded by during his big stretch at the end of the year in NY and tell me he's not in a much much better situation for his style of game. I don't think it's too out of the realm of possibility that if he commands a PP spot and stays healthy that he could have career bests in points (45).

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Apparently Anaheim had offered him a 2 year deal worth just north of 4 million and he turned it down.

Report: Ducks offered Shattenkirk 2-year deal worth over $4M

Makes sense he turned it down, TB is in a position to win a cup, Ducks are still re-tooling, and he can pad his stats in TB for this upcoming year and potentially sign an even bigger multi-year deal next season.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
giphy.gif

He's going to eat up 12-14 minutes per game, maybe a tad more depending on matchups.

He gives us a solid blue line offensive option as a D5-6, and keeps our first 4 healthy. If we limit his minutes and Sergechev barfs the rug he can replace him and gives us an April-May option we did not have with the old farts we had before.

Enjoy.
The problem isn't his offensive game; it's his atrocious defense. Washington benched him for a reason in the playoffs. I'd like to see you guys well, and frankly Schenn is a much better player at this point in their careers.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Apparently Anaheim had offered him a 2 year deal worth just north of 4 million and he turned it down.

Report: Ducks offered Shattenkirk 2-year deal worth over $4M

Makes sense he turned it down, TB is in a position to win a cup, Ducks are still re-tooling, and he can pad his stats in TB for this upcoming year and potentially sign an even bigger multi-year deal next season.
How is he going to pad is stats playing 10 minutes or less.. Makes zero sense. People are thinking the guy is going to get top 4 minutes that's just not going to happen if he lasts he will pot maybe 5 goals and have 15 to 20 asst's. He wants a cup and would kiss what ever ass he has to, to do it. I do not like the guy and makes me want to puke seeing him on the roster and the same can be said for Shenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad