Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Bloomington Bison Thread: Part XV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Not surprising. Another wasted 2nd round pick. Robertson will probably complete the trifecta, though maybe we can at least get a pick for him.

Rangers should target players that want to stay in North America. Cant they find this out during the draft combine. How wiling are they to stay in North America? Tired of these players going back home. Waste of a draft pick. Nothing new here.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rangers should target players that want to stay in North America. Cant they find this out during the draft combine. How wiling are they to stay in North America? Tired of these players going back home. Waste of a draft pick. Nothing new here.
Guys like Lindbom and particularly Henriksson will make more money playing back in Europe and have access to better amenities while playing at home. There's nothing wrong with that. It's far preferable to riding buses in the AHL or worse, the ECHL. And it's not like it's just European players. Ryan Gropp left to go play in Sweden when he had the chance. We traded Joey Keane but he went to Russia at the first opportunity. If any of those guys, Henriksson and Lindbom included, thought they had a real chance at the NHL or to at least earn an NHL salary instead of the minors salary, they'd all probably have stuck around.

It would be one thing if we had a bunch of European players who were legitimate prospects heading back home. But that's not it. It's the guys who are already busts or just about there. Chances are we wouldn't/won't give a qualifying offer to either Henriksson or Lindbom so it doesn't really matter where they've chosen to play next.

Did you actually want Henriksson or Lindbom to stay here? To play as a 4C in Hartford and to share the net in the ECHL? That's what these guys are.

Kravtsov was the only "defector" we've had and that was a totally different story. Maybe Nick Jensen years ago. Spelling, they wanted him to come to Hartford but he chose to stay and become a star in Denmark. Otherwise when these guys are going back it's either because we literally let them out of their contracts because they're not in our plans or we choose to not continue paying them, again because they aren't in the plans. No loss.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's also worth noting that there'd probably be more "reverse defections" of North American prospects leaving to play in Europe, but a lot of the leagues over there have limits on how many foreign players you can have on your roster.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That was always a weird pick. If I remember correctly, Lindbom wasn't rated that highly in the 2018 draft. Why were the Rangers taking a goalie high in the 2nd round?
He was one of the top 3-4 goalies, but they were all rated 3rd round or later. It wasn't a huge surprise that he was the first goalie taken, but it was too early. Hofer and Prosvetov went in the fourth. Schmid and Ersson in the fifth. That's where you should be picking goalies.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
That was always a weird pick. If I remember correctly, Lindbom wasn't rated that highly in the 2018 draft. Why were the Rangers taking a goalie high in the 2nd round?
They over-estimated his worth based on his u18 performance. His stats prior to that were pedestrian in SuperElit. Given the status of the pipeline at the time, they had no business wasting a 2nd on a goalie. Hopefully they've learned their lesson moving forward.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I’m glad that our priority is to draft Canadian and American kids more so now than in past years.
Obviously we should never totally abandon drafting euro players, however knowing the language, familiarity with the country, and style of play are all big head starts for young guys adjusting in new cities.
It’s just a few less things that can go sideways.
There are always exceptions to the rule, but not having to worry about that stuff or family being on the other side of the planet is big for 18-19 year old kids

Reactions: Daves a mess

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack add a F out of CHL Major Junior

if my notes are accurate, he is only F signed with Pack on AHL contract for '24-25

Panwar, Jenkins, Pekar were all on 1-year deals which expired or were terminated
He was at Montreal Canadiens developmen camp last year. Here is a write up from a Canadiens fan blog.

"Isaac Dufort is a 20 year old forward who is coming off a strong season in the QMJHL with the Baie-Comeau Drakkar. He scored 21 goals and 41 points in 61 games on a rebuilding team and added seven more points in seven playoff games. He isn’t lighting the league up with his scoring, but that’s why he hasn’t been drafted yet.

Dufort is worth keeping an eye on as a possible signing candidate and could get the same deal that Rafael Harvey-Pinard, Xavier Simoneau and Joel Teasdale got which is to be sent back to the QMJHL for their overage season and then signed to an AHL-only contract for one year. At 6’2″ and 180 pounds, the Laval native is definitely on the Canadiens radar as a potential future Laval Rocket."

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pretty much every team has made shitty draft picks in the first couple rounds. It's annoying particularly if your team isn't very good because then you really need these guys more. As long as you got some guys developing well who look like they're going to help your team it's better not to lose much sleep over the guys who fail. Saying that some of our worst picks in the last few years have come from Sweden---Henriksson, Lindbom, Tarnstrom for example and they were all kind of reaches to where we took them and we kind of knew it on draft day. There was Edstrom but he was a 6th rounder and unique for his size and already a role player in the SHL at 18. Maybe we need a better man in Sweden.

That said no one had any idea who Chmelar, Laba or Roobroeck were. They were picks out of left field. Rempe is another.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I know it’s still early into the offseason, but I’m surprised there hasn’t been any discussion on the head coaching search for HFD. I’d imagine Smith is still in the running for the full-time promotion, but it would be nice if they were able to find another coaching candidate like they did with Knoblauch.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I know it’s still early into the offseason, but I’m surprised there hasn’t been any discussion on the head coaching search for HFD. I’d imagine Smith is still in the running for the full-time promotion, but it would be nice if they were able to find another coaching candidate like they did with Knoblauch.
Not saying Smith won't get it but you would think if he were going to it would have been announced by now. I also wondered if one of the Rangers coaches, particularly Peca or Muse, might be a candidate. It's not like Ryan Martin hasn't been busy with his Hartford duties. There was a change in ECHL affiliation and the team has signed 5 AHL contracts (historically the team has about 10).

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
some folks would make issue/fun of the juxtaposition,
but I'd be glad if it were Woodcroft, who's gotta be wanting to earn himself another NHL shot

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
some folks would make issue/fun of the juxtaposition,
but I'd be glad if it were Woodcroft, who's gotta be wanting to earn himself another NHL shot
That’s honestly a great suggestion, and I completely forgot about him. He got shafted this year by a combo of injuries, horrible shooting luck, and terrible goaltending. He had good years in Bakersfield too without many prospects to work with either.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Pretty much every team has made shitty draft picks in the first couple rounds. It's annoying particularly if your team isn't very good because then you really need these guys more. As long as you got some guys developing well who look like they're going to help your team it's better not to lose much sleep over the guys who fail. Saying that some of our worst picks in the last few years have come from Sweden---Henriksson, Lindbom, Tarnstrom for example and they were all kind of reaches to where we took them and we kind of knew it on draft day. There was Edstrom but he was a 6th rounder and unique for his size and already a role player in the SHL at 18. Maybe we need a better man in Sweden.

That said no one had any idea who Chmelar, Laba or Roobroeck were. They were picks out of left field. Rempe is another.

All of those Swede picks were made during Gorton/Clark/Bobrov error. I believe Drury has completely removed that scouting staff. No idea how his Swedish scouting staff is now since they haven’t selected a Swede besides Larsson. Tho I will say I’ve liked what his euro staff has done with late round picks like Larson, chemlar, kalle, & sykora. Some were off the board but so far looking solid.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Drury was named GM in May 2021. So he ran the 2021 draft, but it wasn't really "his" in a traditional sense as he was still relying on the input from a lot of guys that he would later get rid of. 2022 and 2023 are really his drafts.

There were 11 picks in those 2 drafts, and 7 of them (Perreault, Fortescue, Larsson, Henricks, Laba, Mancini, Karpa) were either in college, enrolled in the fall, or on their way after a junior season. I'm not suggesting he's going to draft 70% NCAA guys forever, but I do think given his background as an NCAA player and his history and familiarity with USA Hockey, that he will continue to look heavily to guys heading down that path. Which, mind you, doesn't even necessarily mean North American guys, as you can see with Larsson, Chemlar, Ollas, Kjellberg, etc.--more and more European guys are going the NCAA route as well.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad