Confirmed Trade: [TBL/CAR] Jake Guentzel for 2025 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
This team traded a whole draft class for Tanner Jeannot. They clearly are willing to pay for what they want.
The funniest thing would be if they traded for Jeannot, moved assets to get him off the books took a big net loss to move him off the books, moved assets to acquire Guentzel, and then they strike out on Guentzel.
That would be an expensive tire-spinning endeavour and I am praying to multiple deities that it happens.

Last edited:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The funniest thing would be if they traded for Jeannot, moved assets to get him off the books, moved assets to acquire Guentzel, and then they strike out on Guentzel.
That would be an expensive tire-spinning endeavour and I am praying to multiple deities that it happens.

Yeah I don’t particularly care one way or the other about the Lightning, but the fit on paper for Guentzel there just is too good.

Reactions: HabsQC and Rschmitz

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The funniest thing would be if they traded for Jeannot, moved assets to get him off the books, moved assets to acquire Guentzel, and then they strike out on Guentzel.
Tampa got assets in return for Jeannot

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Legacy does not win on the ice.
Performance at all aspects of the game (Full Strength, Power Play, Short Handed) does.
Stamkos was a -21 last season and did not play well until after the All Star break when it was clear he was potentially heading towards UFA status and showcasing his talents for what may very well be his final NHL contract.
Their PP is not going to be the same without the threat of Stamkos' one timer. Teams can now overload Kucherov's side.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
So he hasn’t signed yet? Clearly Tampa had an offer handed to him immediately. Jake stated last trade deadline he wanted to go to Vancouver and they wanted him as well. Now both have the opportunity to make it happen.

If he hasn’t signed by now it’s not happening
they have until 6am pacific time/9 am i guess before they put pen to paper on anything.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Stammer is 35 in February, next year. But yeah, this shouldn't be about age.

It's about legacy. This would be like Detroit not resigning 34 year old Datsyuk, and trying to replace him with 29 year old Ilya Kovalchuk.
The only way I like this move as a Lightning fan is if they find a way to sign Stammer and put Jake on his wing.

Reactions: Aoko

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I want to believe that Guentzel told Carolina “I’m not signing under any circumstance, I want to go to free agency.”

And Carolina then traded him to Tampa for a 3rd knowing that he wouldn’t sign with the Lightning either—but extracting a 3rd from it anyways.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Their PP is not going to be the same without the threat of Stamkos' one timer. Teams can now overload Kucherov's side.
New players mean the power play has to change to play to the strengths of the new pieces. Whether it is the NHL or the AHL, the Power Play of the Tampa Bay organization has become predictable. That will change this season.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
I want to believe that Guentzel told Carolina “I’m not signing under any circumstance, I want to go to free agency.”

And Carolina then traded him to Tampa for a 3rd knowing that he wouldn’t sign with the Lightning either—but extracting a 3rd from it anyways.

that or JBB just really wanted to offer him 3 million take it or leave it a day earlier

mrdomino

Begrudgingly, a Canucks fan
Oct 13, 2020
Weird that he hasn’t signed in Tampa yet
Not really. There is 0 benefit for Guentzel to not wait another day to see what other teams offer. Trading a 3rd for his rights was an asinine move

I could have seen it if it was an 8 year sign and trade, but just for his rights 24 hours before he can just go to market and get the same 7 year term anywhere?

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
The only way I like this move as a Lightning fan is if they find a way to sign Stammer and put Jake on his wing.
I agree. Then I wouldn't mind it at all.

But as is, Guentzel is Stammer's replacement... and that very notion makes me sick. Yes, even if Guentzel ends up being better next year than if Stammer were to resign. Doesn't matter to me. Optics matter more at this stage.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Guentzel has been heavily linked to Vancouver for awhile, unlikely to happen but would be hilarious if he snubbed Tampa for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay