Confirmed Trade: [TBL/CAR] Jake Guentzel for 2025 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Stammer is 35 in February, next year. But yeah, this shouldn't be about age.

It's about legacy. This would be like Detroit not resigning 34 year old Datsyuk, and trying to replace him with 29 year old Ilya Kovalchuk.

I think there’s a place for legacy but at a certain point you have to do what makes the team better.

If they strike out on Guentzel and then Stamkos walks though it wouldn’t be a great look.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Considering Florida just to back to back Stanley cup finals that’s a pretty good goal..

This isn’t Pittsburgh..

Kucherov - 31
Vasilevskiy - 29
Guentzel - 29
Point - 28
Cirelli - 26
Hagel - 25..

Add Geekie, Isaac Howard

It'd be good if they could pick up a good younger D like Sergachev to replace Hedman as he ages.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
8x8 is such a dumb offer from Carolina.

You have the 8th year flexibility. Offer 8x9.25 = 74M. Makes it very difficult for other teams to get close with only 7 year offers - they'd have to offer over 10M. Instead they lowball his AAV and use their 8th year like cheap idiots. Now you're losing a player that doesn't come available in free agency very often.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well that changes things. If he asked for 8x8 on Wednesday and Carolina offered it on Thursday, i wonder what went wrong in the days following? If he didn't want to be in Carolina he wouldn't have even negotiated.
Maybe he wanted to telegraph around the league that he won't be too expensive, for the right taker.

Reactions: Regal

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021

You have the 8th year flexibility. Offer 8x9.25 = 74M. Makes it very difficult for other teams to get close with only 7 year offers - they'd have to offer over 10M. Instead they lowball his AAV and use their 8th year like cheap idiots. Now you're losing a player that doesn't come available in free agency very often.
You can't be surprised that a notoriously cheap team is cheaping out again?

Like, how are Skjei and Pesce both walking to free agency? A betting man would assume the same will happen to Orlov and Slavin too. Oh, and I forgot, Burns too.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Like, how are Skjei and Pesce both walking to free agency? A betting man would assume the same will happen to Orlov and Slavin too.

I mean it's entirely possible that Guentzel just doesn't want to be in Raleigh. But the point remains that if they have the 8th year, offer the competitive AAV he'd be getting elsewhere so that you're giving the most money and making his decision more difficult. It's stubborn and stupid IMO.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I think there’s a place for legacy but at a certain point you have to do what makes the team better.

If they strike out on Guentzel and then Stamkos walks though it wouldn’t be a great look.
They're not gonna strike out on Guentzel. They'll just wind up overpaying for him - which is almost worse.

This is the position theyre in after the shenanigans with Stamkos.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Like, how are Skjei and Pesce both walking to free agency? A betting man would assume the same will happen to Orlov and Slavin too. Oh, and I forgot, Burns too.
You game for one month's avatar bet that Slavin signs extension in July?

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Well that changes things. If he asked for 8x8 on Wednesday and Carolina offered it on Thursday, i wonder what went wrong in the days following? If he didn't want to be in Carolina he wouldn't have even negotiated.
Why did his camp insist the Pens never talked to them during the season and then were mad he was moved? His reps seem to not be dealing in the greatest of faith

Reactions: dogbazinho

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The one thing that I will say is that Tampa is getting significantly older by bringing in McDonagh and Guentzel and trading away Sergachev, Jeannot, and letting go of Stamkos. Jeannot didn't quite fit, but Sergachev is the one that I have real questions about them trading. Bringing back McDonagh made sense with Hedman and Sergachev, but dealing Sergachev means their entire defense is reliant on a 33 year old and a 35 year old. With how barren Tampa's farm system is from years of all-in pushes, there's not a lot of spots for Tampa to get cheap support or to reload their team's core. It feels like yet another Pittsburgh waiting to happen.

Reactions: newsportsfan123

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
The one thing that I will say is that Tampa is getting significantly older by bringing in McDonagh and Guentzel and trading away Sergachev, Jeannot, and letting go of Stamkos. Jeannot didn't quite fit, but Sergachev is the one that I have real questions about them trading. Bringing back McDonagh made sense with Hedman and Sergachev, but dealing Sergachev means their entire defense is reliant on a 33 year old and a 35 year old. With how barren Tampa's farm system is from years of all-in pushes, there's not a lot of spots for Tampa to get cheap support or to reload their team's core. It feels like yet another Pittsburgh waiting to happen.
Good thing they got two fake season Cups and don’t have to worry about it

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
They're basically Pittsburgh circa 2019. When your stars start getting older this scenario is bound to happen. They can't just blow it up and start over. Besides they still have a good 3-4 years left to find the right mix for another run.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
garbage posters like this taking over hfboards. what a trash take
I bet you’re super proud of beating a Montreal team that wouldn’t have made the playoffs in a real season in the final. It’s ok, I can’t take away the cup no matter how big of an asterisk is put on it.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Gentzuel isn't worth 9.25 per.

Reactions: Turin

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
You haven't been paying much attention then. Guentzel replaces Stamkos (29 vs 34 years old).
JJ Moser replaces Sergachev (24 vs 26 years old).
They did get McDonagh (36), but they also got a top prospect in Geekie (20) from the Sergachev deal that should be 1 year away from being an NHL player.

So, no, they did not get significantly older.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
McDonagh, JJ Moser, and Geekie > Sergachev.
Stamkos >>>>>>>>>>>> Guentzel.

Stammer may not be 10 times the player Guentzel is, but his legacy to this organization ALWAYS f***ing will be.
Legacy does not win on the ice.
Performance at all aspects of the game (Full Strength, Power Play, Short Handed) does.
Stamkos was a -21 last season and did not play well until after the All Star break when it was clear he was potentially heading towards UFA status and showcasing his talents for what may very well be his final NHL contract.

Reactions: Zwui21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia