Confirmed Trade: [TBL/CAR] Jake Guentzel for 2025 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
So many saying "for a 3rd" without the ". . . round pick" part. I mean if there was a solid chance and desire to sign him it's not that steep of a gamble. IMO.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Canes trade that 3rd for 2 4ths.

Then trade 2 4ths for 1 4th and 3 5th.

Canes use that 4th and 1 5th, but trade back with the other 2 5ths to get 2 more 5ths and 2 6ths.

Canes use both 5ths and 1 6th. They trade the other 6th back and get a 6th and a 7th.

Canes use both those picks.

Canes get 7 prospects added to their already deep pool.
You missed the part about Canes fans trading anything they could for a fifth, just not the same type of fifth the club is trading for.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a team giving up that high a pick for rights. Especially the day before free agency. I have to think they have the deal done already

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a team giving up that high a pick for rights. Especially the day before free agency. I have to think they have the deal done already
I think we wanted cost certainty so we could make other moves (hopefully Stamkos), and Carolina charged us for it.

...Also, pretty clear there was some tampering on our part.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
It’s funny that people think that this makes them cup contenders. I think they could be if there offense out score teams essentially, but the days of their defense shutting people down are over. Hedman has been a massive liability defensively the last two years.
We will have to see what defensive structure is rolled out next season. If it's the new one put in place this past season, there's no telling what's going to happen. Maybe the players are finally comfortable in it. Or maybe they toss that experiment out of the proverbial window because it sucked.

Either way they'll be getting an upgrade in net with Vasilevskiy starting the season off healthy and recovered from his back surgery. He was clearly the goalie we remembered towards the final few weeks of the season. When he came back around Christmas, he looked anything but. Yet returning from back surgery when you're accustomed to having your natural flexibility has to be frustrating.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Pittsburgh, Shero giving the Flyers a 3rd for the rights of Dan Hamhuis. (He refused a offer/to sign)
This is a good example for the other players that have ties to so and so and thinking it's a lock. Shero was his assistant gm in Nashville and figured he'd have an inside track, Hamhuis was heavily rumored to be wanting to play for his hometown team and did.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
how dare people think Tampa can compete! They only got younger faster , better 5v5 and defensively
Their PP is not going to be the same without the threat of Stamkos' one timer. Teams can now overload Kucherov's side.

what like Florida did this last series when Tampa had Stamkos?? Almost like they need to change it up..

Last edited:

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Guentzel at 8M$ at 30 yrs old is not the problem. A term of 8 years is the problem. Yeah he's great right now but he's undersized and won't be worth half that money after age 35. What can you do, he already has a cup so he's chasing money which i guess is fine.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Guentzel at 8M$ at 30 yrs old is not the problem. A term of 8 years is the problem. Yeah he's great right now but he's undersized and won't be worth half that money after age 35. What can you do, he already has a cup so he's chasing money which i guess is fine.
In 5 years Tampa will be in a bad spot whatsoever and will need a rebuild, so that isn't much of a problem right now. But I see your point

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In 5 years Tampa will be in a bad spot whatsoever and will need a rebuild, so that isn't much of a problem right now. But I see your point
Yeah, everything after Hedman declines is basically a dystopian wasteland. No reason to plan for what you're gonna do AFTER the nuclear apocalypse. Everyone's dead anyway.

He'll, if Hedman declines soon enough, we might be able to move this contract for the rebuild still. To some other team with a looming apocalypse.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
There's been reports Guentzel has been taking medication to keep his equipment allergy at bay and there's talks it stops being effective by year 7 of this deal. Possibly year 6 if his production dips. The NHL community is very torn about this news as it's quite tragic and unexpected.

Reactions: Zwui21 and DFC

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I think we wanted cost certainty so we could make other moves (hopefully Stamkos), and Carolina charged us for it.

...Also, pretty clear there was some tampering on our part.
If they knew the price ahead of time maybe they were ok to pay up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay