TB Lightning seem very similar to the 2010-11 Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Ive had this thought too throughout the year, watching TBay coast through the season as the best team in hockey like the 10-11 Canucks. Top offense, great goaltending, great special teams. The same.

But I think this Tampa team is better. The Canucks had better goaltending but thats about it. Tampa has a #1D like the Canucks have never had which is the biggest difference but i also think they have alot better depth on offense.

Not that they cant be beaten, but as long as they dont get rocked with injuries like the Canucks then I think they'll be alright.

Reactions: Canucks5551

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Ive had this thought too throughout the year, watching TBay coast through the season as the best team in hockey like the 10-11 Canucks. Top offense, great goaltending, great special teams. The same.

But I think this Tampa team is better. The Canucks had better goaltending but thats about it. Tampa has a #1D like the Canucks have never had which is the biggest difference but i also think they have alot better depth on offense.

Not that they cant be beaten, but as long as they dont get rocked with injuries like the Canucks then I think they'll be alright.

And the arrogant players? Cant forget them.

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
The OP conveniently leaves out the part about 3/4 of that team being injured in the finals.

But this TB team is better than the Canucks were that year for sure, and I think this is the first time since that year that I’ve thought a team really looked better than the 10/11 team.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The way I see it is some people consider the Lightning arrogant for having the audacity to not suck forever and forever like all expansion teams in the south "should" according to them. The Panthers are a perennial HF darling by contrast because they are cute and cuddly and never a threat to their favorite teams, so it's fun to speculate about their potential.

The main reason why Lightning fans here are somewhat arrogant themselves is because we're sick and tired of your own arrogant shit and we've decided to give you a taste of your own medicine.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
That Vancouver team was lucky to beat the Hawks in round 1 that year. Needed game 7 OT to do it and that was before all those injuries they suffered later in their post season run.

I wouldnt say they were lucky. The Hawks underachieved in the reg season but were still a good team. It was a huge rivalry that brought them to life. The nucks did blow it in games 4 & 5 but showed up & were the better team in game 7.

Then after that series they rolled right through Nashville & especially SJ.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Lol what? This Tampa team is historically good with players having historically good seasons. They’ve dominated from game 1. They remind me a lot more of the lockout blackhawk team that dominated that season, albeit a shortened one, than the 11 Canucks.

Haven’t seen an ounce of Arrogance out of them either. In fact, I’d say they were quietly going about their business.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
If anything Tampa Bay is too classy of a team. They seem like wieners.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
2011 Canucks lost because of injuries. Again for the people in the back. 2011 Canucks lost because of injuries. There is no debate.

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
What injuries did they have?

-Kesler torn labrum during WCF
- Hamhuis only plays game 1 and 2 only of SCF
- Ehrhoff badly injured shoulder in WCF. Needed numbing shots before every game
- Edler 2 broken finger in game 6 of sCF
- Samuelsson out after round 2
-Higgins broken foot since rnd 3
- malhotra with a career ending eye injury

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
-Kesler torn labrum during WCF
- Hamhuis only plays game 1 and 2 only of SCF
- Ehrhoff badly injured shoulder in WCF. Needed numbing shots before every game
- Edler 2 broken finger in game 6 of sCF
- Samuelsson out after round 2
-Higgins broken foot since rnd 3
- malhotra with a career ending eye injury
And didn't Bergeron play with a collapsed lung?

Every team has injuries in the playoffs and there's been worse situations than what the Canucks went through that year.

Reactions: Mpasta

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Hockey playoffs are grueling. Tougher than any other sport imo. Even with how dominant TB has been in the regular season, it's rare to play 4 rounds of hockey unscathed by injury. On top that, the pressure for a dominant team makes it even more difficult. An injury to a top player, even with their depth, can flip the series.

Also, teams choke. Vancouver may have had injuries but they choked to the Bruins. Capitals chocked it up to the Rangers a few years ago. It happens but it makes the playoffs great. Sometimes you just need momentum at the right time...

Reactions: Fresh Prince

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
And didn't Bergeron play with a collapsed lung?

Every team has injuries in the playoffs and there's been worse situations than what the Canucks went through that year.

Bergeron was 2013.

I don’t think injuries account for Boston outscoring them by 15 goals and Thomas posting 2 shut outs and a 1.14 GAA

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The 2018-2019 Lightning would embarrass the 2010-2011 Canucks and Bruins. I haven't seen any arrogance from the lightning, whereas both of the 2010-2011 tams acted like clowns during the series.

2010-11 had to be the most pest-filled finals ever. Non-Bruins fans were actually cheering for Marchand, as he seemed like the lesser of two evils at that point.

There were literally points where both teams stopped playing hockey and instead appeared to be putting on WWF style theater shows.

Reactions: Flair Hay

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
40362CCA-7D08-482B-8BA0-26C2F32CC477.gif

Wait, who’s the arrogant jerks?

Reactions: Hoek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad