TB Lightning seem very similar to the 2010-11 Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Team that has never won big in the playoffs before (current roster), regular season dominating juggernaut, President’s Trophy clinched early, individual players likely to win several trophies, press calling them unbeatable, and even some of the players more recently with some pretty arrogant comments showing how highly they think of themselves.

This reminds me a lot of Vancouver in 2010-11. Team of destiny, arrogant players, press claiming Bruins have no chance in the Finals (especially after being down 2-0), etc. I wonder if neutral fans will start to despise the Lightning like they ended up doing with the Canucks by the end. As of now, most neutral fans admire the Lightning for what they are doing, but some of those arrogant, unlikable tendencies are starting to show up.
from my experience neutral fans despise the lightning. for example @Deficient Mode

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Its not the same. Only in your world its the same team. Look at the standings. How could we possibly have this much better record with the same team as last year? We cant.

I think the Bruins are a better team than last year. However you are extremely naive if you think this is the same Lightning team.

Im not talking about record/improvements. Its the same cast

Cmon

This said Iam not stating Tampa had to do anything

But 95 percent is the same. Team probably made the least changes since the playoffs ended last season

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Its the same cast

Cmon

This said Iam not stating if Tampa had to do anything

But 95 percent is the same. Team probably made the least changes since the playoffs ended last season

Whatever you need to say to convince yourself of improved chances against our team...

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Ok so little has changed

You list two 4th line/rookies

And 2 young players that were with the team last season

These are minor
If you think Cernak is minor, you can just dismiss yourself from the conversation, because you clearly do not understand what you're speaking on.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I’m convinced if Edmonton played them in a best of 7 we would win. Regular season success and presidents trophies are often a bad determinant of who is going to win the Cup. If we end up facing them in the 2020 playoffs I’m going to say bring it on.

LMFAO

How about worrying about making it to the playoffs first?

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary

Cmon

You are correct it is the same cast...On Paper

However only looking at the returning players is for a lack of a better work, ignorant, as most of that cast has improved. Some a lot more, some only a bit, and yes a couple of guys seem to have digressed (Stralman is getting fragile, Palat is not the same as he was a few years ago as examples) but overall the whole team has improved since last year. That is why you see such a discrepancy in standings for the team from last year to this one. They upgraded at pretty much every position without having to make any trades.

So as many have said, yes the team is better.

Boston has also improved and they made some good trades to do it. But you would be insulted if someone said Pasternak DeBrusk, Krug, or McAvoy are the same players they were last year. That is essentially what you are saying about the entire Lightning roster.

Last edited:

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I personally think this Lightning team will win the cup with very little difficulty, they’re just a cut above everybody else. Will be genuinely surprised if they play a single Game 7 along the way.

Reactions: Sk8M8

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Ok so little has changed

You list two 4th line/rookies

And 2 young players that were with the team last season

These are minor
We've added a top 4 d-man, Point has gone from 60 point player to 95-100 point player, Stamkos is back to his old self, McDonagh has adjusted to the system now, Kucherov is even better and so is Vasilevskiy.

But ok, very little has changed.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Thats what a lot of your players said last year when they got their ass kicked by those players.
Seriously, what a ridiculous thing to say. This team full of midgets physically abused the Bruins last playoffs. The "Big Bad Bruins" don't exist anymore.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Oh boy.

As a fan of a team who has been chasing Tampa all year I fail to see the supposed arrogance from their players, coach or GM. They seem to have a good culture where players want to stay and other player want to go to. Most of the team is homegrown and they treat their own well. Are the fans a bit arrogant? Sure but who wouldn't be when you get to watch your super team destroy the rest of the league and then go back to the beautiful weather after. They've earned their confidence.

As a Bruins fan I'm much more focused on Toronto than Tampa as it as we are almost assuredly going to face them first and despite their recent play are an improved team since last year. If the team is fortunate enough to move on to the second round then I would love nothing more than to avenge last years frankly embarrassing performance, one I do not anticipate happening again.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Bolts are better than that Canucks team

They had a solid defense with depth but not a #1 guy like Hedman.

Sedin twins and Kesler were their Kucherov-Point-Stamkos but i think the secondary guys weren’t as good.. Burrows, Samuelsson, Raymond, Higgins and Torres vs Palat, Johnson, Miller, Killorn, Gourde...

Canucks also had the one and only Tanner Glass on their 4th line, played almost every game in that season

Heck, i might take this years Bruins post TDL team over that one.
It was a different league back then. Your average third line back then would probably pass for 4th line now.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019

Cmon

TB is better in many ways:
  • Defensively better with McDonagh over his injury and familiar with the team, and with the emergence of Cernak. Even Sergechev, though not putting up the same offensive numbers as last year, is better defensively.
  • Vaselevsky is rested, due both to an early month-long injury and the emergence of a really good backup in Dominque (and the coach's confidence in using him). Last year he was in pretty serious decline in the final month of the season.
  • They are WAY better on the PK, going from one of the worst in the league to one of the best--this is coaching
  • They are WAY better at faceoffs, going from one of the worst in the league to top-10--this is coaching/work/whatever, but it's real thing
  • Gourde and Cirelli aren't rookies any more, and are playing with more confidence and effectiveness, and playing larger roles
I'm sure Boston is better too, but anyone who thinks the TBL are putting up better numbers with the same players/system is not paying attention.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
TBay would have to hit a tonne of Injuries in playoffs for then to be 2011 Canucks.

2011 Canucks healthy would have swept that Bruins team.

-Kesler torn labrum during WCF
- Hamhuis only plays game 1 and 2 only of SCF
- Ehrhoff badly injured shoulder in WCF. Needed numbing shots before every game
- Edler 2 broken finger in game 6 of sCF
- Samuelsson out after round 2
-Higgins broken foot since rnd 3
- malhotra with a career ending eye injury

If Tbay avoids that they will cream any team.

Did those injuries occur during the spankings in Boston or just in the spanking shutout in the game 7 in Vancouver?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Team that has never won big in the playoffs before (current roster), regular season dominating juggernaut, President’s Trophy clinched early, individual players likely to win several trophies, press calling them unbeatable, and even some of the players more recently with some pretty arrogant comments showing how highly they think of themselves.

This reminds me a lot of Vancouver in 2010-11. Team of destiny, arrogant players, press claiming Bruins have no chance in the Finals (especially after being down 2-0), etc. I wonder if neutral fans will start to despise the Lightning like they ended up doing with the Canucks by the end. As of now, most neutral fans admire the Lightning for what they are doing, but some of those arrogant, unlikable tendencies are starting to show up.

I don't see the arrogance from Tampa Bay at all. I see a top to bottom skilled team that has also been healthy and deep in every position.

The only criticism you can give them (and this is nitpicking) is that they've been so good and healthy that they've never had to face adversity this year. They may never have to unless some teams give them reason to.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
As someone who was pretty young in 2011 and a Canucks fan can someone explain to me why that team was so hated by everyone outside of Vancouver?

Was it more due to the individuals on the team or the fans/media?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Oh boy.

As a fan of a team who has been chasing Tampa all year I fail to see the supposed arrogance from their players, coach or GM. They seem to have a good culture where players want to stay and other player want to go to. Most of the team is homegrown and they treat their own well. Are the fans a bit arrogant? Sure but who wouldn't be when you get to watch your super team destroy the rest of the league and then go back to the beautiful weather after. They've earned their confidence.

As a Bruins fan I'm much more focused on Toronto than Tampa as it as we are almost assuredly going to face them first and despite their recent play are an improved team since last year. If the team is fortunate enough to move on to the second round then I would love nothing more than to avenge last years frankly embarrassing performance, one I do not anticipate happening again.
Ya I agree. Hopefully that’s the players focus as well.

It’d be a fun rematch for sure. Tampa is the best team I’ve seen in a while.

I would like Don Sweeney to drop a ‘well they’re a lock right’? comment rightt before the playoffs start ala Chiarelli after losing the Iginla trade. Always thought that added a little swagger to that Bruins team in 2013.

Anyway. Tampa is good no doubt. Better than the 2011 Canucks. Dive a lot less too which is nice.

Hopefully Boston can play them with a full roster and we’ll see how it shakes out. Beat Toronto first though.

Reactions: DrJustice

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The 2011 Vancouver Canucks lead the league in goals, goals against, penalty kill and were 3rd on the power play.

The team was completely beaten up in the finals a healthy Canucks team wins the cup.

So yeah great thread.

If Hawks had a healthy Dave Bolland for first half of series they would have ousted Nucks in round 1. Bolland was beast and his return to lineup was reason for turnaround in series

This TB team is far superior to that Nuck team in depth , has legit #1 defender and a much better #1 goalie

I do think AV is better coach then Cooper though

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I don't see the arrogance from Tampa Bay at all. I see a top to bottom skilled team that has also been healthy and deep in every position.

The only criticism you can give them (and this is nitpicking) is that they've been so good and healthy that they've never had to face adversity this year. They may never have to unless some teams give them reason to.

I guess you forgot Vasilevky was out with a broken foot for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad