TB Lightning seem very similar to the 2010-11 Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
People are forgetting how good some of the defensemen on the canucks were at that time. They had number 1 dmen.

Reactions: PM

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
There is no way this TB roster could touch the unlikeablility of that Canucks roster. Luongo, Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows and Lapierre. Generational unlikeablilty.

Reactions: bobbyking

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
We here at HF boards are so lucky to have so many members of the Tampa Bay Lightning posting on this site.

You all are seriously approaching Maple leaf levels “obviously we can be beaten” “ we took Boston to task last playoffs”

It is like such an honor.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Bruin fans can keep telling themselves that to give them some optimism in the playoffs...but this Lightning team is really something else. As of right now (barring major injuries) I don't see how any team could beat them in a 7 game series.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
People are forgetting how good some of the defensemen on the canucks were at that time. They had number 1 dmen.

No they didnt have any true #1D like Hedman.

Had atleast 5 top 4 D whem healthy tho. (Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Salo, Ehrhoff) But they were all 2's or 3's. Good depth but Hamhuis was probably our top D. Comparable to McDonagh now for Tbay.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Another interesting comparable between the teams; Kucherov is having the highest scoring season since Henrik Sedin won the Art Ross+Hart (112 pts, albeit in 09/10 not 10/11).

Still time for Kane/McDavid to eclipse 110pts but for now Kuch is the only one since Hank to do it.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
No they didnt have any true #1D like Hedman.

Had atleast 5 top 4 D whem healthy tho. (Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Salo, Ehrhoff) But they were all 2's or 3's. Good depth but Hamhuis was probably our top D. Comparable to McDonagh now for Tbay.
Edler almost won the Norris that year and hamhuis was def considered way above a top 30 dman at least here. If your point is they had no one as good as hedman yeah but they had #1 dmen.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Ah this old chestnut. If my beer league team trained harder we would've swept the Bruins in 2011. It didn't happen, I'm shocked people still bring this up, another good reason to hate the 2011 Canucks, people are still trying to delegitimize their loss nearly a decade after the fact.

If only we could talk more about Kerry Fraser and 93. I never see that!

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Comparatively I think this Bolts team is just simply better and they've made a cup final as well as multiple ECF's. They have everything you need to win the Cup and they're going to be in the ECF against the Capitals, whoever wins that will win the Cup. I'd bet my forehead on it.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Edler almost won the Norris that year and hamhuis was def considered way above a top 30 dman at least here. If your point is they had no one as good as hedman yeah but they had #1 dmen.

You might be thinking of 11-12 with Edler, he had 49 points that year, was a beast. I'd agree Hammer was a top 30 guy so I guess by that standard your right.

Losing him in game 1 was beginning of the end for the Nucks IMO. It was a really nice hip check though. :rolleyes:

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
team of destiny? lol

we barely beat the blackhawks in game 7 in 2011

maybe a team that knew how to handle adversity after being the yearly sacrifice to the hawks in the playoffs two years in a row.

Loseipeg

Oct 6, 2017
Ah this old chestnut. If my beer league team trained harder we would've swept the Bruins in 2011. It didn't happen, I'm shocked people still bring this up, another good reason to hate the 2011 Canucks, people are still trying to delegitimize their loss nearly a decade after the fact.
Pretty much. Almost lost to depleted chicago 8 seed even before all the injuries. 11 canucks were a paper tiger

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Team that has never won big in the playoffs before (current roster), regular season dominating juggernaut, President’s Trophy clinched early, individual players likely to win several trophies, press calling them unbeatable, and even some of the players more recently with some pretty arrogant comments showing how highly they think of themselves.

This reminds me a lot of Vancouver in 2010-11. Team of destiny, arrogant players, press claiming Bruins have no chance in the Finals (especially after being down 2-0), etc. I wonder if neutral fans will start to despise the Lightning like they ended up doing with the Canucks by the end. As of now, most neutral fans admire the Lightning for what they are doing, but some of those arrogant, unlikable tendencies are starting to show up.

I get the comparison you are trying to draw here but this Lightning team is substantially better across the board.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, Luongo.

His arrogant smug was super cocky after beating Chicago that Boston gave him a run for his money.
Then with the media criticizing him, he creates a Twitter account and then all of a sudden people think he's funny...two faced ******

That 2011 was the best team in history for Vancouver and they freaking blew it.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yea people forget he was arrogant as hell before 2011.

The "easy save for me" quote about the ot goal that beat Thomas in game 2 was par for the course at the time.

Then he gets lit up for 8 in game 3. He was really easy to dislike back then.

I believe he also had some cocky words for kane in the handshake line in the 2010 Olympics, we know how that series went.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yea people forget he was arrogant as hell before 2011.

The "easy save for me" quote about the ot goal that beat Thomas in game 2 was par for the course at the time.

Then he gets lit up for 8 in game 3. He was really easy to dislike back then.

I believe he also had some cocky words for kane in the handshake line in the 2010 Olympics, we know how that series went.

Luongo was complimenting Thomas.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Pretty much. Almost lost to depleted chicago 8 seed even before all the injuries. 11 canucks were a paper tiger

Paper tiger? Lol.

2011 Canucks are one of the best teams I’ve ever seen. They only lost the cup because of injuries and the NHL didn’t want to call the game the way the Canucks played it all season. Bruins got away with so much unnecessary shit after the whistle and for some reason the Nucks are viewed as “whiners”.

How is getting punched multiple times in the face and not reacting whining? Marchand should’ve got 5 and a game for that BS.

Reactions: Excitable Boy

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Luongo was complimenting Thomas.
I'm not traveling back in time to 2011 to argue this. You live in your reality, I'll live in mine. There is a reason he's mocked for that statement, and it's not because of excessive grace or humility.

Moving on, he was another wheel in the canucks being unlikable machine.

Along with the "deal with it" avatars.

Reactions: Mpasta

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I'm not traveling back in time to 2011 to argue this. You live in your reality, I'll live in mine. There is a reason he's mocked for that statement, as it's not because of excessive grace or humility.

It’s because the Canucks had an unorthodox roster that didn’t win “the right way” and the Bruins were a throwback of good ol’ Canadian boys more interested in beating up players in scrums than playing hockey.

Luongo is one of the best to ever play the position and has always been class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad