Taxes on UFAs signing in Montreal.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's true, but his money making years playing the NHL are almost over already.

Lots of guys have a very hard time afterwards. 325000$ doesn't last you a lifetime if you make it at 23.
A player like Pazette should be planning is after career. 500 000 - 750 000 would not last him a lifetime either. Pazetta should just appreciate the fact he is in the NHL. I like the guy but many players about his skills level are rotting in European pro league.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He's not a good NHLer. I think ALL pro athletes are overpaid, but that's obviously a whole other discussion.
He is one of the top 700+ NHLers though since HuGo gave him an NHL contract

Supply & demand economics - nobody watches or spends $, no player will get paid

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
I'm raising my kids in a multilingual household with yet even more languages in the jurisdiction we reside -- by the time my children are teenagers they will be fluent in five languages if you'd believe it. It's awesome -- I have three under my belt and I feel like I could've had five easily in hindsight.

With that said, moving somewhere where the local language is alien/different is not for everyone. I've struggled at times... sometimes big, sometimes little. Hockey players and their wives are not typically the most intellectually curious types so I don't think it's fair to expect them to full-breasted embrace a radical change in language.

In Montreal we're cursed in a variety of ways (big and little) and blessed in a variety of ways (big and little). I think Habs fans have to simply accept it. It could be a lot worse. Truthfully, I don't think I'll move back but my heart will always belong in my hometown. Every time I visit my love (for the place) and decision (to not re-settle) are re-validated.
Especially when you read headline stories such as the language police now visiting hospitals or how the healthcare system is dangerously incompetent,so morally and intellectually stupid its no wonder why Bettman doesn't want another nhl franchise in that oppressive province

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
It's hard to feel bad for a guy that is/can be set up relatively well for the rest of his life and retire before age 30. Or he could do like the rest of us, and get a real job after.
I'm not saying we should feel bad for him. I'm saying we also shouldn't be jealous because he had 2-3 years of making great money.

A player like Pazette should be planning is after career. 500 000 - 750 000 would not last him a lifetime either. Pazetta should just appreciate the fact he is in the NHL. I like the guy but many players about his skills level are rotting in European pro league.
1. I bet he is, but you don't plan for a retirement at 30 with 3 years of making money. Still has to live, these guys have a higher-than average lifestyle by default (tons of restaurants, flights, etc.)

2. The apprecation for his career has nothing to do with the financial side of things.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Especially when you read headline stories such as the language police now visiting hospitals or how the healthcare system is dangerously incompetent,so morally and intellectually stupid its no wonder why Bettman doesn't want another nhl franchise in that oppressive province
If I were to move back to MTL I would sign up for private health insurance for me and my family. I think Habs players would too. It be like that sometimes.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm raising my kids in a multilingual household with yet even more languages in the jurisdiction we reside -- by the time my children are teenagers they will be fluent in five languages if you'd believe it. It's awesome -- I have three under my belt and I feel like I could've had five easily in hindsight.

With that said, moving somewhere where the local language is alien/different is not for everyone. I've struggled at times... sometimes big, sometimes little. Hockey players and their wives are not typically the most intellectually curious types so I don't think it's fair to expect them to full-breasted embrace a radical change in language.

In Montreal we're cursed in a variety of ways (big and little) and blessed in a variety of ways (big and little). I think Habs fans have to simply accept it. It could be a lot worse. Truthfully, I don't think I'll move back but my heart will always belong in my hometown. Every time I visit my love (for the place) and decision (to not re-settle) are re-validated.
Yet you citicize Draisaitl, calling him a massive fool if he stays in Edmonton...that's rich.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
If I were to move back to MTL I would sign up for private health insurance for me and my family. I think Habs players would too. It be like that sometimes.
As far as I know there's no "real" private health insurance in Quebec. You can pay to see a doctor in the private sector, can pay to get some tests done in the private sector, even surgeries can be done in the private sector, but we don't have a private hospital where you can stay for days/weeks and where everything can be done at once like in the states.

Could be wrong.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What a disingenuous comment by Pezzetta. He made his debut with the Habs in 2021-22. He had already been in Laval since 2018-19. He knew what the tax rate in Quebec was. Stop acting like it was such a surprise. You also have an agent that explains these things to you in detail.

You’re also a nothing player making a salary 99% of us only dream of. The only reason anyone knows that you exist is precisely because you are in Montreal. Otherwise you’d be some 4th line plug in Columbus and out of the league pretty quickly.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What a disingenuous comment by Pezzetta. He made his debut with the Habs in 2021-22. He had already been in Laval since 2018-19. He knew what the tax rate in Quebec was. Stop acting like it was such a surprise. You also have an agent that explains these things to you in detail.

You’re also a nothing player making a salary 99% of us only dream of. The only reason anyone knows that you exist is precisely because you are in Montreal. Otherwise you’d be some 4th line plug in Columbus and out of the league pretty quickly.
Pezzetta stated clearly he’s very grateful for being able to earn what he does despite the taxes ….

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
As far as I know there's no "real" private health insurance in Quebec. You can pay to see a doctor in the private sector, can pay to get some tests done in the private sector, even surgeries can be done in the private sector, but we don't have a private hospital where you can stay for days/weeks and where everything can be done at once like in the states.

Could be wrong.
Hospital are good in Quebec though. Not the best in the world but certainly good enough. The problem is general practitioner which you can get privately. Every time i went to the hospital i was well served. Most of the emergency waiting time problems can also be attributed to the general practitioner problem. Lot of people at the emergency should not be there. It's almost impossible to see a general practitioner in quebec if you don't have one and the quality of said general practitioners is often dubious anyway.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Pezzetta stated clearly he’s very grateful for being able to earn what he does despite the taxes ….
So it’s a nothing comment by him. People trying to stir the pot. His money is also worth 30% more since he’s paid in USD, players never seem to mention this very important detail.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So it’s a nothing comment by him. People trying to stir the pot. His money is also worth 30% more since he’s paid in USD, players never seem to mention this very important detail.
Not people it was the interviewer who asked “what’s with the high taxes in Quebec”

And the exchange rate BS needs to stop - cost of living is significantly cheaper in the US even when adjusted for foreign exchange, luxury housing prices are 1/2 the price in most markets let alone goods & services

Cdn cities have become ludicrously unaffordable

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
LOL … I didn’t even see that

Sorry about that I just saw the alert and responded :oops:

I saw the notifications and I was wondering if it's a new thread. And if it is, I don't recall posting in it. When I saw you actually replied to a post of mine, I had to check when I wrote it. As soon as I saw it was written in 2018, I was perplexed why it was unearthed.

But I don't blame you. I blame @Scintillating10 who probably went back 50 pages to re-up this thread. :laugh:

Oh, how innocent you seemed back then...

I was a young pup. Now I'm a full grown pitbull. A pitbull that meows rather than bark, but a pitbull nonetheless.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Yet you citicize Draisaitl, calling him a massive fool if he stays in Edmonton...that's rich.
I don't understand how a comment on a hockey player's contract with his club has anything to do with me, a private individual. Go ahead an explain what's rich.

Could be wrong.
Yeah some level of medicine can only be delivered through the public system but general, regular healthcare can be treated in private. I reckon everyone above a certain wealth level is utilizing private medicine in some way or another in Canada.

Hospital are good in Quebec though. Not the best in the world but certainly good enough. The problem is general practitioner which you can get privately. Every time i went to the hospital i was well served. Most of the emergency waiting time problems can also be attributed to the general practitioner problem. Lot of people at the emergency should not be there. It's almost impossible to see a general practitioner in quebec if you don't have one and the quality of said general practitioners is often dubious anyway.
Hospitals in MTL are perfectly fine. Many Canadians are spoiled if they think their hospitals are in bad shape. Some hospitals in other countries... woof. You're right it's generally a GP and primary care issue in Quebec/Canada... but the problem is severe. Surgery bandwidth is far too little too, but we digress.

My point is I don't think pro players are concerned so much about the healthcare/clinical situation in QC/MTL because for general things they have a simple solution: private, out-of-pocket.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't understand how a comment on a hockey player's contract with his club has anything to do with me, a private individual. Go ahead an explain what's rich.

Yeah some level of medicine can only be delivered through the public system but general, regular healthcare can be treated in private. I reckon everyone above a certain wealth level is utilizing private medicine in some way or another in Canada.
You call him a fool for possibly wanting to stay in Edmonton which actually is none of our damn business where he decides to live and play. I refuse to hit ignore with you because you are entertaining with your holier than thou, condescending personality. I can't wait to read what you say next.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
You call him a fool for possibly wanting to stay in Edmonton which actually is none of our damn business where he decides to live and play. I refuse to hit ignore with you because you are entertaining with your holier than thou, condescending personality. I can't wait to read what you say next.
Draisaitl is a pro-hockey player and I made a comment about his decision in terms of his franchise - a notoriously badly run franchise. We comment on any hockey move that comes up. Do you draw the line at Draisaitl or Edmonton, I don't understand.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Draisaitl is a pro-hockey player and I made a comment about his decision in terms of his franchise - a notoriously badly run franchise. We comment on any hockey move that comes up. Do you draw the line at Draisaitl or Edmonton, I don't understand.
Both...if a player decides to re up with his team that's ok with me. I am glad stars are open to staying in towns like Edmonton and Winnipeg. These teams need to keep their talent and it's challenging.

Reactions: Andrei79

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Pezzetta is not even naming Montreal it's the guy asking about the taxes.

What he says is true 4th liner on miminum salary paying taxes and escrow should not make dumb money moves. Especially a bubble player like him.

Not true…

A $5M home is Westmount costs approx $8M in Forest Hills (Toronto), costs $3,5M-$4M Cdn in Henderson (similar affluent neighborhood) 20-min from Vegas strip ..w newer, bigger, more land and modern luxury layout / amenities and 1st class schooling system

It’s not only income taxes but lower cost of luxury living in a handful of US no tax southern markets

Westmount... Who lives there? Matheson and Kent Hughes? They can afford it.

Pacioretty/Weber home in Candiac had an indoor pool 3 doors garage double island kitchen for 2.4M. Sold for 3.2 recently. It's cheaper here than a lot of spots like Van, Tor, NYC

Reactions: TRG and le_sean

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not people it was the interviewer who asked “what’s with the high taxes in Quebec”

And the exchange rate BS needs to stop - cost of living is significantly cheaper in the US even when adjusted for foreign exchange, luxury housing prices are 1/2 the price in most markets let alone goods & services

Cdn cities have become ludicrously unaffordable
Montreal isn’t less affordable than big cities in the US. Plus these guys all live in Brossard, they aren’t buying condos in the Plateau or mansions in Westmount.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Both...if a player decides to re up with his team that's ok with me. I am glad stars are open to staying in town like Edmonton and Winnipeg. These teams need to keep their talent and it's challenging.
Glad you think so, good chat thank you Tyson.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Pezzetta is not even naming Montreal it's the guy asking about the taxes.

What he says is true 4th liner on miminum salary paying taxes and escrow should not make dumb money moves. Especially a bubble player like him.

Westmount... Who lives there? Matheson and Kent Hughes? They can afford it.

Pacioretty/Weber home in Candiac had an indoor pool 3 doors garage double island kitchen for 2.4M. Sold for 3.2 recently.
Montreal isn’t less affordable than big cities in the US. Plus these guys all live in Brossard, they aren’t buying condos in the Plateau or mansions in Westmount.

House in similar neighborhood in Dallas / Nash / Vegas goes for $1M - $1.5M Cdn … w lower taxes, interst on mortgage tax deduction (which isn’t huge but something) etc

Mtl used to have a tremendous cost of living advantage w depressed housing market…. can’t match many US southern states now (urban centers) - talking luxury neighborhoods w best of services too

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That 30% in the difference, and it is huge.
Players are very quiet about that aren't they.

Hockey players always make themselves look bad when they talk about money......athletes in general not just hockey.

Fans who make 50-60K are the ones who buy the tickets for gods sake.....

Reactions: le_sean

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm not saying we should feel bad for him. I'm saying we also shouldn't be jealous because he had 2-3 years of making great money.

1. I bet he is, but you don't plan for a retirement at 30 with 3 years of making money. Still has to live, these guys have a higher-than average lifestyle by default (tons of restaurants, flights, etc.)

2. The apprecation for his career has nothing to do with the financial side of things.
But you're responding to my post, which basically boils down to "I won't feel bad for him, because he makes more money than any of us can dream of."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad