Taxes on UFAs signing in Montreal.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
You also have to account for the fact that NHL players do recieve a great pension compared to average folk. You get a full pension if your player 400+ NHL games (I belive its about 250000 a year), but even a guy like Pezzetta if he didn't play another NHL game would qualify for about $55000 a year at age 62. Also as most people know if you put money into RRSP's in your 20's, that money will be a lot come your later 50's and 60's.

There are also endorsement opportunities and other money making offers. Maybe not massive ones like the Crosby's and the Gretzky's, but they are still out there. Alot of active and former players can run hockey schools, which for the hours spent can create decent income.

Also you need to account that ex-NHL players can find pretty decent jobs after leaving hockey. Coaching at the college/ minor pro levels, sales jobs for larger corporations that love adding a 'name' to their staff, player agencies, etc. Heck in Thunder Bay, Ontario, even the players who played at the senior level (Allen Cup level stuff) tend to find good jobs locally.

If an NHL player that even plays 100+ games in the league, if he manages his money even half decently, will never really need to worry about money the rest of their lives.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
That's true, but his money making years playing the NHL are almost over already.

Lots of guys have a very hard time afterwards. 325000$ doesn't last you a lifetime if you make it at 23.
Which is actually much better. Most of us make more money later in our life (promotions, experience, salary scale), so we do not have time to save money and live on the interests. Making a lot of money early in your life is much more desirable.

But it does need some maturity from the person to save some money to generate a lifetime revenue.

Pezzetta will have earned $5.3M at 27 (assuming he stops there). Even if he only saved $1M of that, at 8% interest, he is guaranteed a revenu of $80K for the rest of his life doing nothing. So any job he gets is on top of that. But obviously, if he got used to a lavish lifestyle, he is going to take it hard.

And that is considering that he is an example of a guy on the low end. The average NHL salary is $3.2M. Anyone playing 5-6 years at that salary and saving about half of the money after tax, they should have a revenue from interests around $400-$500K/year.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Name me UFA's we've missed out on , its a non issue , we aren't calgary or edmonton or ottawa here....

Having incompetent staff for two decades was our issue not taxes.

Build it and they will come , its hockey mecca , everybody knows it , people who wouldn't want to play here aren't real dogs and they know it, If you aren't cut out for MTL why would we want them here?. Let them go somewhere quiet its not a big deal. Dogs only

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Name me UFA's we've missed out on , its a non issue , we aren't calgary or edmonton or ottawa here....

Having incompetent staff for two decades was our issue not taxes
Hull, Briere, Hossa, Stamkos, Tavares, Panarin - all of who Habs confirmed to have serious interest in signing: met with / offered a contract to.

No traction on any of the close to PPG players who rarely hit the market

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Hull, Briere, Hossa, Stamkos, Tavares, Panarin - no traction on any of the close to PPG players who rarely hit the market
The team was awful on paper every year those guys were available (not sure about Hull). I don't see them as losses since I don't think they take us over the top , not to mention 75% of the league also did not get those guys.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Sounds like I have a new career plan. I personnally can’t wait for the most useless goon in hab history to gtfo and leave his spot to hockey players.

Reactions: David Suzuki

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The team was awful on paper every year those guys were available (not sure about Hull). I don't see them as losses since I don't think they take us over the top , not to mention 75% of the league also did not get those guys
Briere said his now ex-wife (francophone) wanted nothing to do with returning to Quebec

Hossa wanted nothing to do with returning to Canada

Tavares & Panarin refused to meet w Habs - both had a singular destination in mind (Toronto & NYC)

Stamkos said last year he enjoys leaving the rink and being anonymous…

None of it has to do with how good a team is

I would only point out not one of them is a American player the only one Hull didn’t have the opportunity w bonus structured contract as taxation was not in place per US / Canada tax treaty back in 2001

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Briere said his now ex-wife (francophone) wanted nothing to do with returning to Quebec

Hossa wanted nothing to do with returning to Canada

Tavares & Panarin refused to meet w Habs - both had a singular destination in mind (Toronto & NYC)

Stamkos said last year he enjoys leaving the rink and being anonymous…

None of it has to do with how good a team is

I would only point out not one of them is a American player the only one Hull didn’t have the opportunity w bonus structured contract as taxation was not in place per US / Canada tax treaty back in 2001

At the end of the day, it's a family decision for most these players. I would be more concerned if our young stars didn't want to be here. they do want to be here so I'm happy, and I think Hughes is building a player friendly environment, so maybe in a couple years we will be able to attract better talent. None of the UFAs make us a contender but how Hughes is building this team, actually through the draft, is going to make us better than the MB years. especially if the young guys want to be here.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
At the end of the day, it's a family decision for most these players. I would be more concerned if our young stars didn't want to be here. they do want to be here so I'm happy, and I think Hughes is building a player friendly environment, so maybe in a couple years we will be able to attract better talent. None of the UFAs make us a contender but how Hughes is building this team, actually through the draft, is going to make us better than the MB years. especially if the young guys want to be here.
I can’t recall the the last time Habs or majority of NHL teams for that matter have any issue re-signing their homegrown players..

Hockey players tend to be a loyal bunch in general… perhaps with cap ceiling about to explode, that may change, but I wouldn’t bet all down on it

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
at the end of the day I remember they are millionaire athletes swatting a puck around for a living, while us pleebs try and put dinner on the table for our families. Then you just say 'ah right f*** it, this has no impact on my life in the grand scheme of things'.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Taxes
Media
2 Official Languages
Fans/Pressure
Insane History of the Team ( Cups )
Lack of Anonymity

The list goes on and on eh guys...........

I've talked to a lot of players over the years, and the things that comes up over and over again as the big drawback of playing in Canada is their profile.

In Canada, playing for the local NHL team makes you a celebrity.

That same player can play for the Washington Capitals and be able to have a totally normal life away from the rink. Nobody recognizes their kid's last name in school and they can go out to a restaurant and be totally anonymous.

It's a way different thing then if you play for the Montreal Canadiens. It requires a certain kind of player to handle all of that.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We never really had any problems re-signing our own player and most of the time they don't try to break the bank either. Only time it was an issue was Damphousse and Recchi but it was mostly just the owner not wanting to give them market value and also Danault and cie but we had no cap room left.

Reactions: Nedved

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Which is fine you just need to go grab the right kind of players. You can figure that part out in a draft interview.

Not really.

A lot of 17 year olds will tell you that being famous is cool and part of the package of being a professional hockey player, but that's easy to say before you realize you can't go out to a movie anymore, you can't go shopping and you can't go to most restaurants, or hang around at your cottage, or go golfing or all kinds of sacrifices that come with fame.

When you realize you can be and NHL player and have all the benefits that come with it, without having to give up your private life - and the private life of your family - it's an easy choice for most guys.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I've talked to a lot of players over the years, and the things that comes up over and over again as the big drawback of playing in Canada is their profile.

In Canada, playing for the local NHL team makes you a celebrity.

That same player can play for the Washington Capitals and be able to have a totally normal life away from the rink. Nobody recognizes their kid's last name in school and they can go out to a restaurant and be totally anonymous.

It's a way different thing then if you play for the Montreal Canadiens. It requires a certain kind of player to handle all of that.
I think you put it the right way with your last statement. It isn't that every player hates it, but definitely only certain players embrace being in the spotlight and getting all this attention.

Ultimately what the Habs can do is ensure they have a top organization in as many respects as possible, have the players speak highly of the organization, and have the GM make a compelling case for the organization. It isn't complicated but it isn't easy. Hopefully when the time comes, we can make the move we want to make.

Reactions: BLONG7

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I remember Mike Cammalleri saying he wouldn't sign with the Leafs because that's where he lived in the off season. Also remember Ryan Getzlaf liking his anonymity. Each player has his priorities if he has the leverage, like Jacob Trouba in New York for his wife.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
Not really.

A lot of 17 year olds will tell you that being famous is cool and part of the package of being a professional hockey player, but that's easy to say before you realize you can't go out to a movie anymore, you can't go shopping and you can't go to most restaurants, or hang around at your cottage, or go golfing or all kinds of sacrifices that come with fame.

When you realize you can be and NHL player and have all the benefits that come with it, without having to give up your private life - and the private life of your family - it's an easy choice for most guys.
You mean like Marner who thinks he is a God? I don't think he would like it if no one would recognize him.

There are players like Price who valued his privacy a lot, but I think he is more of an exception. Most of these guys have been basking in celebrity since young age, and they certainly like the attention.

I think at the end of the day, it comes down to money. And opportunity is a big part of it, because if you can put yourself in a good situation (top6, PP time, etc..), then you are more likely to get a better contract after.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
im sorry if I’m missing something when I say this, but if the league truly wants parity, then why don’t they make adjustments to the cap based on taxes? How is it fair for Montreal to have the same cap as Vegas, when the state has no tax? That’s an unfair advantage under the cap system. You truly are not playing with the same money when you think about it. To a free agent, it’s more attractive to sign in Vegas because they’ll save on taxes. That could work out to quite a bit of money. Montreal would need to offer more to level the playing field. Why not adjust Vegas cap down and Montreal’s up in this case? I believe there are other States in there as well. It’s not a level playing field.
I’m just speaking financially btw. not climate, history, competitiveness or other attractions.

Because it is an impractical task due to its complexity and the disparities are not as large as most people think.

For a more precise answer, you really have to deal with a CPA who specializes in cross border tax.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been brought up but the fact that Canadian market hockey players sign endorsements for a lot more than their American based counterparts is something that is often overlooked in this conversation. You don't even need to be a star player as there is a lucrative market for even the fringe players in places like Montreal and Toronto and that is before you also factor in all of the free benefits that get thrown their way from restaurants and other businesses as opposed to American markets where most of the population could care less about the NHL and wouldn't recognize a player's face or name if they met them.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Hull, Briere, Hossa, Stamkos, Tavares, Panarin - all of who Habs confirmed to have serious interest in signing: met with / offered a contract to.

No traction on any of the close to PPG players who rarely hit the market
wasn't Sundin in conversation at one point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad