Proposal: Tavares for Kopitar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He also produces pretty much what Tavares can now (especially when you factor in linemates), while adding high-end defense.

Toronto would come away like bandits in this trade.

Its funny because it often takes a thread like this for most to realize that Kopitar is really only regularly outproduced by the McDavid/Matthews tier of scorers.

Despite JT playing offensive roles on offensive teams his whole career and Kopitar playing heavy defensive roles, the difference between their average/82 is....4 points. Kopitar at 73, JT at 77. JT the superior goal scorer with a 47G season, Kopitar the superior playmaker with a 92 point season.

JT is a great offensive player, Kopitar is Mr. Everything. TO would take this and run. Kopitar is still the most overlooked player in the NHL.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I have a hard time to figure out how this trade makes the Kings better

The only player of interest for our future would be Matthews.
So if there is a desire by the Leafs to trade Matthews at some point we can talk.
Beside that, there is not much interest

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Tavares has a full NMC, and Kopitar submits a list of only 7 teams to which he would accept a trade. The OP needs to include reasons why the Kings, the Leafs, Kopitar, and Tavares would do this, not just the two teams. There's four equities to resolve here.

My read is that both players have made it clear they are where they want to retire, though anything can change, I suppose.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Tip for anyone posting a trade scenario involving Tavares: Just stop, he's not waiving.

This has been stated repeatedly in virtually every thread posting a trade scenario involving Tavares, yet these threads continue to be made.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Brind'Amour, Yzerman, Fedorov, Francis, Gilmour, Clarke would also join him on that.

Datsyuk was close at 918 and pretty clearly could have hit that mark. Bergeron is at 920 so he's gonna get there. Toews *probably* gets there as he's at 821 but who knows. Maybe the guy is cooked? ROR has a ways to go but if he plays for a while he could get close. Couturier is unlikely. Barkov will probably do it.

Anyway, there's been 7.

Datsyuk didn't play in the NHL til age 23...had he started ~20yo he's much higher on that list. Good post though.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Leafs WOULD do it.

Debatable. A lot of peolple bringing up that Kopitar will retire a King, and he will. The same consideration applies to Tavares.

Leafs are going to trade their captain, the Toronto kid who came home as a high profile free agent? For what? A minor contract improvement, maybe a small on-ice upgrade (to the "AINEC" brigade, let's be real here, we're splitting hairs between two very comparable players), but with added risk given the age difference.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Stumbling Jack

Jan 4, 2013
Valencia
That's not true at all, Kopitar is built for longevity. He's very rarely injured, missing only 1 game in the last 5 seasons and only 29 in his career, all the while always near the top in ice time. His defensive game is built on his positioning, strength, reach, and awareness. He doesn't throw hits and he rarely gets hit. Everything about his game indicates he'll be around for a while.

Well put - was going to say something very similar. Reminds me of Joe Thornton in regards to longevity..

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Debatable. A lot of peolple bringing up that Kopitar will retire a King, and he will. The same consideration applies to Tavares.

Leafs are going to trade their captain, the Toronto kid who came home as a high profile free agent? For what? A minor contract improvement, maybe a small on-ice upgrade (to the "AINEC" brigade, let's be real here, we're splitting hairs between two very comparable players), but with added risk given the age difference.
There’s nothing comparable between the two, Kopitar is a notch above Tavares. Despite being one of the best 2-way players of his generation his offensive production is on par while his defense speaks for itself.

If Kopitar was given the offensive free reign and lack of defensive responsibilities most offensive oriented players are given.. well hell, we’d be taking about a guy with a few hundred more points and he’d be in the conversion for best player of his generation.

with that said, these are all hypothetical trade scenarios and if such a trade could be made.. the question was would either team do it, I think it’s pretty damn clear to any non bias fan what each team would say..

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The premise is that Tavares would serve the Kings resurgence better because he’s 3 years younger than Kopitar, but I still think Kopitar ages better, more gradual. The Tavares decline will be swifter, more abrupt.

Father Time is undefeated, Kapitar will and is slowing down much faster. It’s not like JT has another 7 years.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Wouldn't want to do it as a Leafs' fan. Although, I don't think there is much of a gap between them as players.

I am also sure that the hot start that Kopitar has gotten off to and the relatively slow start Tavares had has nothing to do with a lot of opinions in this thread.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Kopitar is the more complete player, hands down.

But I probably would not touch him right now. He could be falling off at any moment.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
There’s nothing comparable between the two, Kopitar is a notch above Tavares. Despite being one of the best 2-way players of his generation his offensive production is on par while his defense speaks for itself.

If Kopitar was given the offensive free reign and lack of defensive responsibilities most offensive oriented players are given.. well hell, we’d be taking about a guy with a few hundred more points and he’d be in the conversion for best player of his generation.

with that said, these are all hypothetical trade scenarios and if such a trade could be made.. the question was would either team do it, I think it’s pretty damn clear to any non bias fan what each team would say..

Career achievments. And I don't disagree, I would say he is one of the best players of his generation. But we're not trading for careers. He's 34, and the stats suggest while he's still a solid 2-way player he's not exactly the defensive beast he once was. He's no Selke contender anymore.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
no way Kings do this, Kopitar is playing great this yr. Tavares is also playing well and I think by the end of the year he will pass Kopitar in points.
Also even if it was a case of Tavares being significantly better than Kopitar, I still wouldn't make the trade from LA's side. There is a ton to be said about loyalty. The players notice what teams stand by their guys and it factors in when trying to get UFA's
So sometimes not making a trade actually allows you to land a better player later.

Reactions: Guitpik

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
But I probably would not touch him right now. He could be falling off at any moment.
Kopitar has such talent and game sense that he could play into his 40s.
The question as he gets older is his desire to play and win more than him physically falling off a cliff.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Kopitar has such talent and game sense that he could play into his 40s.
The question as he gets older is his desire to play and win more than him physically falling off a cliff.

Not sure what you are basing that on.

Players randomly fall off the cliff all the time; while others will last to have a Jagr lengthen career. There is no way to tell until Father Time marches to that beat.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Not sure what you are basing that on.

Players randomly fall off the cliff all the time; while others will last to have a Jagr lengthen career. There is no way to tell until Father Time marches to that beat.
Based on watching him for the last 15 years. Theres nothing else you can base this off of other than watching a lot of hockey and comparing him to other players longevity.
He can pretty much play as long as he wants. Hes that good of a hockey player. Hes the prototype player really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad