Tavares extension -> May Reportedly Happen in the Near Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I have no idea why some in this fan base believe we owe Tavares and i also have no idea why anyone would want to pay him 4-5-6m with term starting when he's 35 and act like his play won't keep declining .

if he doesn't want to waive then let him play out the season in a reduced role and let him walk

Exactly. Just let him walk. It's not that difficult of a decision.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I have no idea why some in this fan base believe we owe Tavares and i also have no idea why anyone would want to pay him 4-5-6m with term starting when he's 35 and act like his play won't keep declining .

if he doesn't want to waive then let him play out the season in a reduced role and let him walk

4.5 x 6 seems good... add a NMC and it helps if he is often injured.

Reactions: Dayjobdave

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Tre has already shown that he is willing to throw money and term at a 34 year old. This would only be good news to me if Tavares pulls a Spezza or Giordano and leaves a lot of money on the table. Otherwise, let both Marner and Tavares walk and retool with the extra 22 million.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The short memories around here always make me laugh.

Tavares was unforgivably terrible against Boston, complete boat anchor. Boston had the easiest time ever shutting cement feet Johnny down. He ain't it anymore guys, just let him play it out and let him walk.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Tre has already shown that he is willing to throw money and term at a 34 year old. This would only be good news to me if Tavares pulls a Spezza or Giordano and leaves a lot of money on the table. Otherwise, let both Marner and Tavares walk and retool with the extra 22 million.
Tre's options this off season were to either ''throw money and term'' at older vet D or write off the season , there's no need to do that with Johnny Mumbles .

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

4M is good third line center money right now let alone when the cap is 100M+ by the mid to later years of a long term extension.

I don’t think anyone has said we owe him anything. Tavares will still be a very useful player for several years yet and that’s why people talk about extending him. There is definitely a number where that still makes a ton of sense for us.

It’s really very simple

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
4M is good third line center money right now let alone when the cap is 100M+ by the mid to later years of a long term extension.

I don’t think anyone has said we owe him anything. Tavares will still be a very useful player for several years yet and that’s why people talk about extending him. There is definitely a number where that still makes a ton of sense for us.

It’s really very simple
he can't keep up with the play now and he does nothing anyone needs from a center outside being good on the dot , if he declines anymore he'll be unplayable even on the wing

he's been carried by Willie and Mitch for years as well as being able rack up points on the pp1 , take that away from him and he'll be a much softer less effective version of Perry

hopefully the team is smart enough to let him walk since 7yrs of listening to people making excuses for Mumbles is enough for me

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Some of the folks on here come across as so entitled… not even the bitter Islander fans who trashed JT when he left NY, hold a candle to the whining and crying of these guys.

I can’t imagine how embarrassing it would be to go to a Leaf game with these whiners.

I’m looking forward to JT having a solid season with some of the spotlight moved off him and extend his stay here on a team friendly deal.
We’re all fine with that. We are shuttering at the thought of him coming back for 6+ on anything more than a 1 year deal. If Marner is re-signed as well literally nothing will have changed except swapping Willy and JTs deals. That’s the issue.

Reactions: HolyCrap

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Just lower the AAV less than you think.

He's too slow for the NHL. People needing his degree of sheltering are cheap.

if JT is signed, it all but guarantees Marner is walking. To build a cup team, you have to move on from Marner. He'd be useful for a team needing to sell tickets on sleepy Tuesday nights. NoWhereVille, USA.
Awesome! Sign Tavares for $12 million x 1 then!

• Haha
Reactions: bax

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We’re all fine with that. We are shuttering at the thought of him coming back for 6+ on anything more than a 1 year deal. If Marner is re-signed as well literally nothing will have changed except swapping Willy and JTs deals. That’s the issue.

There are a lot of people who are giving some really absurd Tavares takes. It’s not only people worried about 6+ million at all

he's been carried by Willie and Mitch for years as well as being able rack up points on the pp1 , take that away from him and he'll be a much softer less effective version of Perry

This continues to be a really stupid argument. Yes, top 6 players play with other top 6 players. They also play on the powerplay. Not sure why him producing with the players he was supposed to produce with is being spun as a negative.

If we take away his powerplay time, he won’t produce as much. Gasp.

His cap hit is going to go way down, and with that some opportunity and a lot of expectation. Thats natural and in no way degrades his ability to be a contributor.

Last edited:
Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
This is the best plan.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This continues to be a really stupid argument. Yes, top 6 players play with other top 6 players. They also play on the powerplay. Not sure why him producing with the players he was supposed to produce with is being spun as a negative.

If we take away his powerplay time, he won’t produce as much. Gasp.

His cap hit is going to go way down, and with that some opportunity and a lot of expectation. Thats natural and in no way degrades his ability to be a contributor.
wtf are you babbling on about now ?

the point is he needs a 90 plus pt winger to drive the play and create all the offense while he does nothing but plant himself on the crease vulturing points and even with the said winger he disappears in the playoffs

how many more f***ing years do you need to get knocked out of the playoffs before you realize this isn't working with him ? my guess is until he's off the team at which time point your being spewing your ''all's sunshine and roses'' drivel in another topic

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
wtf are you babbling on about now ?

Exactly what I think to myself every time I see you posting about JT these days.

point is he needs a 90 plus pt winger to drive the play and create all the offense while he does nothing but plant himself on the crease vulturing points and even with the said winger he disappears in the playoffs

You’re free to believe that.
Doesn’t however make it true.

how many more f***ing years do you need to get knocked out of the playoffs before you realize this isn't working with him ? my guess is until he's off the team at which time point your being spewing your ''all's sunshine and roses'' drivel in another topic

Right because JT is specifically the reason we get knocked out every year. How silly of me. Plus his role is going to be changing if he is re-signed so this is nonsense outright.

I have never at any point claimed or remotely insinuated it’s all sunshine and roses.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Right because JT is specifically the reason we get knocked out every year. How silly of me. Plus his role is going to be changing if he is re-signed so this is nonsense outright.

I’ve never claimed or insinuated it’s all sunshine and roses.
Yeah 2 points in 7 games for an $11M AAV is certainly a leading contributing factor of why we got knocked out.

If not for Willy playing out of his mind how many points do you really think Tavares ends up with in the regular season?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yeah 2 points in 7 games for an $11M AAV is certainly a leading contributing factor of why we got knocked out.

If not for Willy playing out of his mind how many points do you really think Tavares ends up with in the regular season?

I’m certainly not claiming he was good versus Boston.
Especially at 11M

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I’m certainly claiming he was good versus Boston.
Especially at 11M
I give Marner and Tavares the most shit for that Boston series because they were the guys we needed to lean on to win that series with the issues Matthews and Willy were having missing games. You're paying these guys $11M that is the kind of stuff they need to do to prove they are worth that paycheck.

Instead we got the opposite.

Tampa was without Stamkos for essentially all of the 2020 playoffs and Kuch kicked up to a whole other gear and made it happen for Tampa, Just ONCE I want to see that from our guys but apparently they just aren't cut from that same cloth.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I give Marner and Tavares the most shit for that Boston series because they were the guys we needed to lean on to win that series with the issues Matthews and Willy were having missing games. You're paying these guys $11M that is the kind of stuff they need to do to prove they are worth that paycheck.

Instead we got the opposite.

Tampa was without Stamkos for essentially all of the 2020 playoffs and Kuch kicked up to a whole other gear and made it happen for Tampa, Just ONCE I want to see that from our guys but apparently they just aren't cut from that same cloth.

I missed the “not” in my comment lol
At 11M each Marner and JT obviously shoulder more responsibility than others down the lineup so that’s fair

Reactions: IPS

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I’d take every single one of those players on those contracts over JT at 4-5, but before anyone says it, yes I know I don’t own the leafs, I’m just saying what I want then to do.

The guy is a plug in the playoffs. 3 points in the last 12 playoff games. 24 in 38 as a leaf. He’s a 3C for us in the playoffs and a 4C the last two series’s.

We have done Jack shit, and yet are not only content, but overly excited to keep the same group together. If Marner isn’t gone, then Tavares has to be

Let him walk, sign anyone to fill his role and I bet almost any replacement is better than him

-Bertuzzi got 10 pts in Boston, 4 in toronro
-hyman best he had in toronto is 4
-Domi got more pts in a 3rd line in Dallas than on top line in Toronto

When basically every player (except o'reilly) had more succes in playoff somewhere else in playoff, maybe the problem is just the system...

Keefe had been great to hide all leafs issues in their D and goalie but he killed leafs offensive at the same time.

Reactions: LFKevin21

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The anti-JT takes in here are hilariously bad.

Is he the same player he was 7 or 8 years ago? no.

Is be a solid C that will give you 60 plus points for a few more years, yes.

That's worth something.
In the playoffs he's a liability and will be victimized. Guaranteed.

The point is to upgrade the 2c spot and start a new chapter.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Because his linemates in Boston actually came to play in the postseason.

Doesn't appear he has this same luxury in Toronto when he's tied for the team lead in scoring.
It’s everyone but the cores fault

Defence, goaltending, coaching, fans, internet posters, media everyone is at fault but not the core.

• Haha
Reactions: IPS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad