Tavares extension -> May Reportedly Happen in the Near Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
He's last back checking as well.
You know why ?
He is slow.
I’m not a JT fluffer, but I respectfully disagree.

My son get’s this too on his competitive team as a Centre. He is always second man into a corner or to a loose puck. He strips the puck and then starts the breakouts by moving the puck quickly. Often this happens from behind the net or in the slot moving the puck up to wingers.

It’s literally impossible to catch up if you are 25-40 feet behind the play.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He can't PK.
You know why ?
He is slow.

slow winger. 2.5AAV or bye. he wants to stay in TO because of family reasons (he can be hard balled).

We need someone who can PK.

There would be some wiggle room. Especially as I'm not resigning Marner. If this crappy org is contemplating signing Marner .... JT FOR SURE HAS TO GO.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Steven Stamkos, who's essentially a year ahead in all of this fun, just signed a 4 year deal at $8m per season.

Fair analysis but there's another factor beyond just pure stats: Stamkos captained the Bolts to 2 Stanley Cups and a final. Tavares has captained the Maple Leafs to exactly one playoff round victory.

The point being that I think Stamkos' rather sweet deal is at least in part an acknowledgement of his contribution to the Lightning's success. Tavares on the other hand ...

There really is no basis for keeping him here.

I've read the posts about how hard it is to get a replacement 2C but for me that's not nearly a strong enough rationale to re-sign a slow, 33 year-old center for another 3+ years who can't PK, doesn't really contribute on the PP anymore, whose sole "A" skill is winning faceoffs and was stripped of the captaincy as a result of his team's failures.

I wish I had the optimism that Brad taking the "C" away was a sign they intend to move on from him, but with this organization I'd be less surprised if they offer him a 4 (or more) year deal than let him walk. Far less surprised.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Tavares will easily put up 70 points this year. Productive player, easily would get $6-7M on a short term deal on the open market. For a 5 year deal I would hope for $4-5M per season.
Agree if he was still in his prime. Tavares will be a 50 point player on average for the next 5 years. 7m per is too much.

4m per or gtfo. We find someone with some upside.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I am honestly in the camp that JT signs a massive undervalued contract or go ahead and move your family and play elsewhere.
But what is massively undervalued now? His issue has been he earned his deal in year 1 and not thereafter. If he was making $7.5 per for the last few years would there would be so much hate? I wouldn't extend him at $7.5 now but some people here are talking $2-$3M so they think he will re-up for Kampf money.

I hope the club waits until mid season to see if last year was a down year or the beginning of a decline no matter who the coach is. Two years ago he was 28th in points for forwards and 103rd in ice time. Not close to an $11M guy but not a scrub either. Offer him a deal in January based on what he does this year.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
But what is massively undervalued now? His issue has been he earned his deal in year 1 and not thereafter. If he was making $7.5 per for the last few years would there would be so much hate? I wouldn't extend him at $7.5 now but some people here are talking $2-$3M so they think he will re-up for Kampf money.

I hope the club waits until mid season to see if last year was a down year or the beginning of a decline no matter who the coach is. Two years ago he was 28th in points for forwards and 103rd in ice time. Not close to an $11M guy but not a scrub either. Offer him a deal in January based on what he does this year.
His next contract won't be based on his points. It will be based on him wanting to retire in Toronto.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Fair analysis but there's another factor beyond just pure stats: Stamkos captained the Bolts to 2 Stanley Cups and a final.

He played 2:47 in one of those playoffs...

Good player, but he was hardly the reason they won anything.

Point, Vasi, Hedman, Kucherov, and even McDonagh got Conn Smythe votes the year Stamkos was healthy and he didn't...

Reactions: AvroArrow

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
The difference between having and not having Tavares has been one goal. Through 6 seasons. 1 f***ing goal. We are one goal better than we were without him.

It’s a straight up joke the impact he’s actually had. He stopped our rebuild we waited decades to get! He has done sweet f all except bank one puck off a defenders skate. Complete joke for 77 million dollars.

Reactions: hotpaws

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I like JT, out of the four core he’s the most likeable guy to me, but I’d let him walk, not because at the right price he couldn’t bring back value, but to change the team’s culture, and personally if I was him I’d want to move on after what they did to him this summer…….

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
The difference between having and not having Tavares has been one goal. Through 6 seasons. 1 f***ing goal. We are one goal better than we were without him.
Since coming to the Leafs, he's scored more goals than all but 16 guys in the league. Including more goals than Matthew Tkachuk, Sidney Crosby, Nikita Kucherov, and Brad Marchand. He's 25th overall in points.

You might not like him, but don't be ridiculous.

Reactions: Gallagbi and banks

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Since coming to the Leafs, he's scored more goals than all but 16 guys in the league. Including more goals than Matthew Tkachuk, Sidney Crosby, Nikita Kucherov, and Brad Marchand. He's 25th overall in points.

You might not like him, but don't be ridiculous.
We were one goal away from the second round before he got here. With him for 6 years we got one win in the second round. You obviously didn’t get what I was referencing though. For 11M off our cap I’d expect to get a bit more than one extra win in 6 years. The core was doing the exact same thing before JT was here and they were 18/19 years old.

Reactions: hotpaws

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We were one goal away from the second round before he got here. With him for 6 years we got one win in the second round. You obviously didn’t get what I was referencing though. For 11M off our cap I’d expect to get a bit more than one extra win in 6 years. The core was doing the exact same thing before JT was here and they were 18/19 years old.

The 11M wasn't dead cap before him... you are saying that the team improved slightly by using the 11M on him instead of other players, it is nice that you support him.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The 11M wasn't dead cap before him... you are saying that the team improved slightly by using the 11M on him instead of other players, it is nice that you support him.
In my mind him and Stamkos were on the same level, one got 8.5m and the other got 11m.

It's always the Leafs setting the precedent, and not piggybacking off the last big deal.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Zaitsev - 4.5M
Marleau - 6.25M
Horton - 5.3M
Martin - 2.5M

Go on though please. We have almost no dead cap right now except Tavares compared to those years.

Oh let me just add some assets we lost to get/keep JT too: Hyman, Kadri, 13th overall pick.

JOKE

He’s the single biggest reason we are cooked. It stopped the rebuild and by accelerating that other assets were lost for pennies on the dollar and we are now here with a massive lack of futures and young talent with nothing to show for it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
In my mind him and Stamkos were on the same level, one got 8.5m and the other got 11m

Other people can argue that taxes matter or don't, but GMs and agents have said they do, so I'll take their word.

That says Stamkos makes more on those salaries... I am sure that is not accurate and there are ways to mitigate your tax obligations, but I am sure the difference in salary is not 2.5 million.

The issue was Tavares actually met with other teams and got offered more than we signed him for.

Zaitsev - 4.5M
Marleau - 6.25M
Horton - 5.3M
Martin - 2.5M

Go on though please. We have almost no dead cap right now except Tavares compared to those years.

LTIR is not dead cap, bad players and overpayments are still on this team.

But this is also proving my (and your) point.

We both think the team improved by signing Tavares instead of players equaling his cap hit.

I am glad we are finding common ground.

• Haha
Reactions: hamzarocks

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Zaitsev - 4.5M
Marleau - 6.25M
Horton - 5.3M
Martin - 2.5M

Oh let me just add some assets we lost to get/keep JT too: Hyman, Kadri, 13th overall pick.

JOKE

He’s the single biggest reason we are cooked. It stopped the rebuild and by accelerating that other assets were lost for pennies on the dollar and we are now here with a massive lack of futures and young talent with nothing to show for it.
I tend to agree with you, except for one huge difference - I don't blame Tavares for stalling the rebuild, I blame the guy who signed him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I tend to agree with you, except for one huge difference - I don't blame Tavares for stalling the rebuild, I blame the guy who signed him.

Do one better... blame Stamkos for not signing with us...

Or blame the young kids for performing good enough to make the playoffs, this accelerated it too, they needed more high picks.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Honestly I see no real upside to resigning Tavares for even league minimum. This isn't because of the player he is or will become as he declines but more the fit moving forward and him blocking a player like Minten, Cowan or even Grebenkin. As much as people worry about the 2C spot past this year there are UFA's the Leafs can look at (Bennett for one) or trades ( Norris if he can prove he is healthy). They will have around 30 million in cap space with the potential of a lot more to spend. Depending how this season works out and how prospects develop The Leafs could have 3 ELC's in the top 9 next season leaving them lots of cap space to add a 2C and address any other holes.

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad