Tavares extension -> May Reportedly Happen in the Near Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I am not a fan of resigning JT BUT I have heard that it is a done deal and was part of pact made when JT gave up da C .. it is apparently a 3-year deal .. likely announced at camp .. and shift to LW comes with it .. lets hope it is not stupid AAV but much closer to league MIN
It will be a very team-friendly deal. He will retire as a Leaf.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
5m isn't team friendly

i know everyone's throwing out numbers like he isn't going to continue to regress but the thing i can't understand is why people believe that

His season of so-called regression in which he still put up 65 points, his skating lost no speed, but his shooting percentage was way down. Tavares is not all that old, it’s just as likely he “bounces back” so to speak offensively in 2024-25.

He’s way overpaid for being a 2C but he’s still very easily a 6-7M player in this market and people trying to predict when/if aging players will fall off is all baseless assumption, much like those forecasting magazines that try to predict how many games a player will lose to injury in the upcoming season and are almost always wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Confucius and banks

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
5m isn't team friendly

i know everyone's throwing out numbers like he isn't going to continue to regress but the thing i can't understand is why people believe that

Steven Stamkos, who's essentially a year ahead in all of this fun, just signed a 4 year deal at $8m per season.

Yes, he's a better skater, and yes, he had 40 goals, but it might be worthwhile to consider that 19 of those 40 goals came on the powerplay; where is the primary "trigger-man", playing 3:45 per game. 21 came at even strength, where he played 14:27 per game.

Tavares had 9 powerplay goals and 20 goals at even strength. From a powerplay perspective, he's of course never been the "trigger man" or focal point of the Toronto-powerplay, and much moreso a guy to get a tip in or rebound. His powerplay time was 3:05/game and even strength 14:47.

If the apparent 3 year deal is true, and $5m is a quite team-friendly number for Tavares, when he'll be getting 1 year less, 1 year later, than Stamkos.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He won't be paid like a core piece so this won't matter as much. Leafs should be happy to wait and see what he does this season. Even if he has a great year and scores 40 goals and 90 points, he will be 35.

I could see a Tanev type deal. 6 years 2M
Ditto for Marner……

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Not really. It's still losing.
Maybe but it at least shows improvement and evolution whereas the leafs have stalled out and have made no ground for how many years now? The one time they get past an injured Vas and they get clobbered by the next team and then get knocked out in the 1st again is not showing anyone anything that indicates they are on the right path, quite the opposite in fact.

Would need to depend on the term. I would do 4 years x $5 million. Im sure it would be tempting to do y years x $4.5 but imo that would be ridiculous.
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The dude is CONSTANTLY behind the play.

He wasn’t something that worked out. Why cling to the past ? I’d rather walk away than pay JT 5.
5+ million to watch Tavares slog around the ice fumbling pucks and ride the coattails of an insane Nylander hot streak is just lunacy. Boston was probably laughing their ass off in the locker room after every game at how easy he was to shut down.

People just don't even use their eyes anymore, not even sure what to say anymore.

Yes, he's a better skater, and yes, he had 40 goals, but it might be worthwhile to consider that 19 of those 40 goals came on the powerplay; where is the primary "trigger-man", playing 3:45 per game. 21 came at even strength, where he played 14:27 per game.
Wouldn't that be spectacular if our PP didn't go 1 for 23 against Boston?

This whole ideology of PP goals/points meaning less has to f*** off already.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Maybe but it at least shows improvement and evolution whereas the leafs have stalled out and have made no ground for how many years now? The one time they get past an injured Vas
It doesn't show anything really, other than an easier path. People put way too much emphasis on it. Also, Vasilevsky wasn't injured.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No idea why anyone wants to bring this guy back. He's a loser with zero passion or emotion and it's time to move on.

I just don't think they'll get Crosby to sign.

Really, would like to see Sid play with Nathan to end his career.

For Leafs, give some prospects some rope. What's the worst thing that could happen ... losing in the first round?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
5+ million to watch Tavares slog around the ice fumbling pucks and ride the coattails of an insane Nylander hot streak is just lunacy. Boston was probably laughing their ass off in the locker room after every game at how easy he was to shut down.

People just don't even use their eyes anymore, not even sure what to say anymore.

Wouldn't that be spectacular if our PP didn't go 1 for 23 against Boston?

This whole ideology of PP goals/points meaning less has to f*** off already.

It's not that they mean less, it's that they need to be taken into context.

Powerplay and 5 on 5 are really 2 separate animals. Powerplays tend to be much more "rigid" in their flow, adn the goals typically come from the guys in certain positions.

Steven Stamkos basically plays the equilaent of a Matthews position on the powerplay. Matthews had 18 powerplay goals and Nylander had 11.

If you magically swap Tavares for Stamkos, it's not like the Leafs can reasonably expect another 10 goals from their powerplay. Sure, Stamkos might score more than Tavares, but it would likely come at a cost of some of Matthews goals.

Ultimately, we'd still be short a Kucherov, who is the magic sauce that makes the Tampa powerplay tick, with his ability to demand that the team covers the shot, but excellent passing ability.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

:clap:

Chat" with CurrentNameHere.
1-900 numbers.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
The dude is CONSTANTLY behind the play.

He wasn’t something that worked out. Why cling to the past ? I’d rather walk away than pay JT 5.
This is common for Center’s based on D zone coverage and the style of our breakouts.

Matthews often is too. It’s because he cares about the d zone.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
This is common for Center’s based on D zone coverage and the style of our breakouts.

Matthews often is too. It’s because he cares about the d zone.
He's last back checking as well.
You know why ?
He is slow.

He can't carry the puck.
You know why ?
He is slow.

He can't zone entry.
You know why ?
He is slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad