Tank Thread and Tanking GDT XIX: Tankception (BUF @ CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
One thing i dont understand is the people who think that getting the 3rd pick instead of thxe 2nd is going to make us mediocre instead of cup champs.

The gulf between Eichel and Marner isn't thaupst big

It really, really is though. There is a reason that Mitch Marner isn't above Crouse in most scouting polls. And it's that Marner's upside as a pro isn't that high. He doesn't have the tool kit that these other players, including Eichel, have. It seems a lot of people forget that scouting isn't about figuring out how good of a junior hockey player someone will be.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
How cool would it be if we clinched last place tonight, and sold out the game against Pittsburgh cheering for the team like it was a play-off game.

Clock

May 13, 2006
How cool would it be if we clinched last place tonight, and sold out the game against Pittsburgh cheering for the team like it was a play-off game.

If we win tonight I really think that's how it's going to go down. If I was there and we were all clinched I'd be thrilled at the magnitude of success that that rebuild was (obviously just based on the work done at that point, not as if future success is guaranteed).

Tonight's going to be really interesting, because boy is it going to tip the fanbase one way or the other for the Pittsburgh game.

ZeroPT*

It really, really is though. There is a reason that Mitch Marner isn't above Crouse in most scouting polls. And it's that Marner's upside as a pro isn't that high. He doesn't have the tool kit that these other players, including Eichel, have. It seems a lot of people forget that scouting isn't about figuring out how good of a junior hockey player someone will be.

There's a reason why people also disagree with all those rankings. Marner and Strome put up elite junior numbers. They're top talents.

Both would've been our best players in the post co-caps era, by far. This idea that we'll be mediocre if we don't get McEichel is so ridiculously shortsighted. Watch Marner play. He's elite and yes going to be an excellent player at the next level

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't know. If they lock it up tonight, I think I'll just be done, and glad this season is over. I don't know if I'll have it in me to give a damn about tomorrow one way or the other. And I can't help but feel a lot of fans will feel the same way

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I don't know. If they lock it up tonight, I think I'll just be done, and glad this season is over. I don't know if I'll have it in me to give a damn about tomorrow one way or the other. And I can't help but feel a lot of fans will feel the same way

We could use a nice, long hibernation after the past 2 years

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
There's a reason why people also disagree with all those rankings. Marner and Strome put up elite junior numbers. They're top talents.

Both would've been our best players in the post co-caps era, by far. This idea that we'll be mediocre if we don't get McEichel is so ridiculously shortsighted. Watch Marner play. He's elite and yes going to be an excellent player at the next level

If you want to believe that, more power to you. If you want to believe the gap between Eichel and Marner is small though... Well, good day sir.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Yes I trust Tim Murray and Kevin Devine. You should too.

They're not idiots.

Right. I'm already happy with what's been done, especially when you consider we're getting a top three pick again this year. Getting McEichel is the complete icing on the cake, but even with a Hanifin / Marner / Strome instead, the roster and direction of the team inspires so much more hope that middling around with the old Rochester core, and the complete bottoming out / rooting for losses is likely done after this year.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
One thing i dont understand is the people who think that getting the 3rd pick instead of the 2nd is going to make us mediocre instead of cup champs.

The gulf between Eichel and Marner isn't that big

It is not only the difference it is also going to set back the rebuild probably 2 years.

Marner is not a center, Eichel will play in the NHL next year Marner probably not.

Eichel and Reinhart as our centers next year or.....

huge difference.

ZeroPT*

If you want to believe that, more power to you. If you want to believe the gap between Eichel and Marner is small though... Well, good day sir.
You're doing a fantastic job at putting words in my mouth. I never said Marner and Eichel were close.

I said the gulf between the two is not the difference between cup champs and mediocrity. Good day indeed

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It is not only the difference it is also going to set back the rebuild probably 2 years.

Marner is not a center, Eichel will play in the NHL next year Marner probably not.

huge difference.

He might be. He's played both in junior and someone on here mentioned he's playing center in the playoffs right nwo.

ZeroPT*

huge difference.
I'd agree that it delays it a little bit which can be annoying. But again, Marner is elite and will very likely be an exceptional scorer and producer. One this franchise hasn't had since Briere.

We're not doomed of we pick 3rd. It'll suck spiky donkey balls but we're not doomed. That's my point. I can't stress this enough, I want McEichel. Almost more than anyone. Just as TM dreams of McDavid I dream of McEichel along with Reinhart and girgensons and the rest of am elite cup winning roster.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
You're doing a fantastic job at putting words in my mouth. I never said Marner and Eichel were close.

I said the gulf between the two is not the difference between cup champs and mediocrity. Good day indeed

"The gap between Eichel and Marner isn't that big."

Forgive my poor interpreting skills. :rolleyes:

Zippy Chippy

Apr 6, 2015
It's gonna be alright guys...don't worry, tonight is my half-birthday.

IMG_6371_thumb.jpg

ZeroPT*

"The gap between Eichel and Marner isn't that big."

Forgive my poor interpreting skills. :rolleyes:

:handclap: wonderful

Read the whole post. You're taking things out of context. The gap between Marner and McEichel is not the difference between cups and mediocrity. That was what I said. That was my point. I'm not surprised that you're picking things out of context though

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
He used the word "gulf" not gap. That implies an assumption that it's huge, and he's saying it's not super de duper huge.

Cool. Thanks.

Gulf, gap, it doesn't matter. The difference between Eichel and someone not named McDavid is massive and shouldn't be under sold.

Last edited:

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Yes I trust Tim Murray and Kevin Devine. You should too.

They're not idiots.

I do trust them. Problem is these are not sure things as the top 2 picks are, mistakes and busts happen much more when you pick this level of prospect. Marner is the best bet in my mind but he weighs 160 lbs soaking wet. I gamble that he gets bigger but it is a gamble.

ZeroPT*

I do trust them. Problem is these are not sure things as the top 2 picks are, mistakes and busts happen much more when you pick this level of prospect. Marner is the best bet in my mind but he weighs 160 lbs soaking wet. I gamble that he gets bigger but it is a gamble.

It doesn't sound like you trust them. Its not hard. Marner will gain weight. Weight also, is frankly overrated. Especially when you're that skilled.

Gaudreau is actually tiny. He's elite. Marner IMO will be better.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
What if they decided that Crouse was their guy, which is entirely plausible? Do you trust them then?

What if the whole time the plan has been to trade the pick to the maple leafs for Phil Kessel!

WHAT THEN? DO YOU STILL HAVE FAITH?

Or we could just not play in silly hypotheticals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad