Tank Thread and Tanking GDT XIX: Tankception (BUF @ CBJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I'm hoping they'll want to give a good effort for the home finale on Friday.

Thats what is keeping my head on, Columbus has been proving themselves to the rest of the league that they are a playoff team when healthy so I don't think that they will mail it in on fan appreciation night especially to a team like the Sabres.

What also helps is the fact that Arizona plays two teams that really have nothing to play for (Anaheim and Vancouver) so hopefully they rest some players and Arizona can collect some garbage points.

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I'm not worried so much about that as I am the law of averages catching up with them. They're due for a bad game.

Same here, I did not want them coming up to us with an 11 game winning streak because they were BOUND to lose one eventually, even though it was only an OT loss it is a start. I hope Toronto actually wins tonight so Columbus comes home with something to prove.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Not that you're wrong but thats an odd thing to say about this. I usually associate that with trying to do something (winning) to make an outcome happen (make the playoffs, etc). As opposed to having something the team itself is trying to prevent happening (losing) being something we control.
I get your point. I made the comment because in a previous tank thread, just as EDM began climbing in the standings and a few days before BUF - ARI played their home-and-home broken by the Colorado game, a gloom and doom poster harped about the Coyotes "controlling their own destiny". The inference was that ARI could lose out and finish last. While that was true, ARI was not in control of their destiny because BUF could have similarly lost out and finished 30th, or even picked up a few points and finished 30th.

If by some miracle, ARI loses Thurs, BUF wins at CBJ and the PIT finale seems headed to overtime, or even enter overtime, I fully expect Murray to tell Lindback to let in a softy, or accidentally score an own-goal.

"Anders, I'll re-sign you for a $100k/year raise if you let in 1 shot."

I can't wait to never pay attention to Arizona hockey again.
Nice avatar.

Just a reminder that Isles haven't clinched their playoff spot yet:sarcasm:
Welcome, rookie!!

fing0rz

Nov 29, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.justin.tv
I can't wait for that juicy Crosby turn over in the final seconds of the pens game that kaleta takes and scores to finish his hat trick, giving buffalo a 3-2 win, finishing the season 1 0 1 and raising that 29th place banner.

We can then have another reason to hate Crosby

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Same here, I did not want them coming up to us with an 11 game winning streak because they were BOUND to lose one eventually

That's not really a real thing though unless you believe the outcomes of past independent events affect the outcomes of future independent events - something like a gambler's fallacy. Teams aren't really more likely to lose the longer a winning streak gets.

Like, you could flip a coin and it land heads 9 times in a row and say it's bound to flip tails eventually, but really the odds of it flipping tails on the 10th flip is no different after 9 heads than any other outcome of the first 9 tosses, if the coin is balanced. If you do not know the coin is balanced its probably more logical to assume the 10th flip would also be heads.

BornBuffaloFan

Nov 30, 2014
I can't wait for that juicy Crosby turn over in the final seconds of the pens game that kaleta takes and scores to finish his hat trick, giving buffalo a 3-2 win, finishing the season 1 0 1 and raising that 29th place banner.

or more reason to hate nolan and the players on this team

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Please. That's not the nightmare.

The nightmare is winning against CBJ, then we go into Pittsburgh with the clock already against us because we need to lose in regulation. Couple that with a scenario where Pittsburgh needs just one point... gulp. So just modify your scenario to Kaleta's goal tying it, then we get to watch for 2 long minutes as our McEichel dreams tick away, with Pittsburgh not trying because they just need to hold on for the point.

Then of course we lose in OT, but it doesn't matter. We got our point. We lose.

That's the nightmare.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
hockeyplaya00 said:
Same here, I did not want them coming up to us with an 11 game winning streak because they were BOUND to lose one eventually

That's not really a real thing though unless you believe the outcomes of past independent events affect the outcomes of future independent events - something like a gambler's fallacy. Teams aren't really more likely to lose the longer a winning streak gets.

Like, you could flip a coin and it land heads 9 times in a row and say it's bound to flip tails eventually, but really the odds of it flipping tails on the 10th flip is no different after 9 heads than any other outcome of the first 9 tosses, if the coin is balanced. If you do not know the coin is balanced its probably more logical to assume the 10th flip would also be heads.
I'd say the streak/bound to lose is real though and different from the coin flip. the coin has only two outcomes heads or tails, so no preceeding flip affects the next.
With the streak guys could mentally be out of gas, working hard to keep the streak going. They could get an unlucky bounce whereas in the past the bounces have gone in their favour. So while the previous games don't have direct affect on the following games there is a possibility that there is some, where the coin flips have none.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Please. That's not the nightmare.

The nightmare is winning against CBJ, then we go into Pittsburgh with the clock already against us because we need to lose in regulation. Couple that with a scenario where Pittsburgh needs just one point... gulp. So just modify your scenario to Kaleta's goal tying it, then we get to watch for 2 long minutes as our McEichel dreams tick away, with Pittsburgh not trying because they just need to hold on for the point.

Then of course we lose in OT, but it doesn't matter. We got our point. We lose.

That's the nightmare.

This is what amuses me, the woe is Buffalo/supposed worst-case scenario stuff as some kind of depressing rallying cry or something.

Having lived in Buffalo for over 35 years before leaving, I must say, you guys don't do nightmare/doomsday scenarios very well.

The nightmare scenario is getting one of the top 2 picks and then some sort of career injury hitting them.

Please, pick up the sky is falling game, you're all lacking!
:p:

Clock

May 13, 2006
It's interesting, but reading some of these nightmare scenarios, I can't help but think that we're really at the point where if the Sabres decide to win out in a blaze of glory, it's really quite close to giving the finger to the fans. I wonder if any of the players are feeling that pressure somewhere.

I can't wait to never pay attention to Arizona hockey again.

I've actually become somewhat of an Arizona fan after watching all of these games.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I've actually become somewhat of an Arizona fan after watching all of these games.

I've always liked the Coyotes for whatever reason, though they really need to go back to the Aztec jersey design. The solid red seems really boring.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
As a yotes fan my nightmare scenario is winning the lottery and then us picking hanifin 1st OA. I didn't follow the draft much when we drafted blake wheeler, but I remember the commentators scrambling for info on him since he wasn't projected to go for like a whole nother round haha. Could see it again.

I've always liked the Coyotes for whatever reason, though they really need to go back to the Aztec jersey design. The solid red seems really boring.

Me too, love the kachina colors and design, very unique very southwest. Reds are.......red.

I've said in the yotes board but I've also become a bit of a sabres fan during this process. Cheering for a team makes you want to continue to do so I guess. Also I love me some risto and ennis, studs.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's interesting, but reading some of these nightmare scenarios, I can't help but think that we're really at the point where if the Sabres decide to win out in a blaze of glory, it's really quite close to giving the finger to the fans. I wonder if any of the players are feeling that pressure somewhere.

I think that's called Stockholm syndrome. :laugh:

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
26 of our 54 points have come at the expense of playoff teams.

If the nightmare scenario happens, I will look back at those 3 wins against Montreal and just :shakehead.

In fact, 7 points against the Canadiens. Ugh.

Last edited:

ROC

Mar 27, 2015
Rochester NY
Any of the games tonight have an effect on the Sabres? Need to know who to pull for if I watch a game tonight.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Any of the games tonight have an effect on the Sabres? Need to know who to pull for if I watch a game tonight.
On Buffalo's pick? No.

On the Islander's pick? The Washington Boston game could have some implications. I believe just cheer for a 3 point game with Boston winning.

An Anaheim win would lock up the conference for them as well.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport

Not directly.

Boston and Washington game does influence Pittsburgh's playoff picture, Sabres final game.

Anaheim game tonight may influence their motivation in the Game against Arizona on Saturday. A win tonight would seal up the top conference slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad