Confirmed with Link: Tanev Signs With Leafs | 6 Years $4.5 Million AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The leafs always have to give everything, never get a discount. 6 years, 80% signing bonus, and a full NMC the whole way through and still couldn’t get him lower

Glad to have him, but who the f*** is negotiating these contracts
In a vaccum this is a discount. He would have gotten 5.5+ on the open market.

Domi also signed a discount

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Okay, you know what. I’m gonna start by saying glad he’s here. I think he can really help us for the next probably 3 or 4 years

6 years of term at 4.5M AAv is not great at but acceptable enough to get the player.
Giving him basically a buyout proof deal and full NMC however is utter f***ing lunacy and shifts my overall sentiment toward the deal a fair amount.

Did he just not want to be here so we just brute forced the contract to be all the way player friendly to get it done?

If we win in the next 4 years, fine whatever, but right here today this is an ugly contract

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
After the playoffs he just had with Dallas, would he not get 6 or higher on a short term UFA contract? This IS a discount, at the cost of going way too long of a term for a player with his injury history and age.

BUT, this is a desperate, desperate defense, that is begging for players of Tanev's caliber. We needed him badly last season, really badly. Rielly - Tanev will be the best pairing we've had since Muzzin - pylon. Our right side PK spot was completely devoid since losing Holl. The fit is immaculate.. at what cost though.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This is David Clarkson 2.0
The league is going to change the LTIR rules apparently soon as well

I dont get why chris tanev:

1) needs 6.year term committment whne hes old as shit

2) is a toronto boy, has been linked to us for so long, and apparently wants to play with Rielly due to WCH experience, yer still wants 4.5M

He should have sing 3.25 x 3 and shown hes here to win like Domi.

IF we were giving 4.5M make it on 2 year term for f***s sake

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Good player, will be the best partner Mo has had with us. I would have hoped that the AAV would have been lower with that term, but I think we will be saying that a lot today.

lowski

Nov 6, 2023
Lol the arm chair GMs today will be insufferable. Are the Leafs better today with him or not? Don't think too hard.

Reactions: DeadEye

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'd say Domi gave them a discount.

$4.5m for a player of his quality is fine. The term doesn't really matter as they can send him to Robidas Island, he can retire, or whatever.
The term does matter, as it was used to supposedly lower the cap hit.

And Domi’s deal isn’t some sort of steal for the leafs. Get real

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Didn't Tanev and Reilly make a great pairing at the World Championships? Paying $4.5m to recreate that is not a high price.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
... he played 22 minutes a game for Dallas in the playoffs against the other teams top players?
He usually plays 19-20 mins (past 3 reg seasons) & 21-22 playoffs for the flames

Stars are an elite team top to bottom. He was their 3rd best D after Heiskanen (top 5D in the world) and Harley. He also had Oettinger in net (top 5G)

Leafs have morgan rielly (low end 1D maybe) and Woll (unproven, goalie). He will have worse defensive support and be relied here for more than hes capable of

Didn't Tanev and Reilly make a great pairing at the World Championships? Paying $4.5m to recreate that is not a high price.
That was in 2017

That was in 2017

Reactions: Rare Jewel

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This is a good deal.

Tanev is the best defensive RD in the entire NHL. He is going to take our blue line to the next level over the next 2-3 years.

If he gets injured/old he will 100 % be LTIR’d. Tre understands how this league works. If you don’t think he’s gone by year 6, you don’t understand how business works. The league will do nothing to stop LTIR. If a guy is not physically able to play there is nothing they can do.

This is a 4 year deal at 4.5 m. Make no mistake about it. This is what was required to keep him from going to Vancouver.

Also, Al Horford just helped Boston win an NBA title at 38. Tanev will win one here younger than that.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
good player, incredibly stupid contract
since he's not 35 yet can't they buy it out at any time??
that's what I get from this contract
love the signing, cap hit abit high only due to the length but eh....finally have a legit top pairing, rielly better step up now, no excuses. this makes both players better

defence is better already

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think a lot of people don't get this deal.

It's basically a way of paying a player a good amount of money without having to absorb a cap hit of $5 mil or more per season. He's not going to be playing by the end of this contract.

I'm sure another team would have given him at least $6 mil per season for two or maybe even three seasons. The question is whether he'll be good enough over the next two or three years.

horner

May 22, 2007
Another home town boy takes the Leafs to the cleaners
Is Tanev any better than 20-21 and 21-22 Brodie?

Hes older, more injury prone, and somehow less offensively inclined than Brodie

Our defense in 2021-2022 playoffs had:

Rielly - Lubyuskin (round 1)
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano (pre fall off) - Holl (pre being pure shit)
Sandin - Lilijgren

The current defense will be worse then that a by lot, and that defense itself wasnt good enough to win come playoffs
He's alot better than Brodie was
He was Dalllas best dman in the playoffs

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Glad to have him. The AAV is fine, and well below the level he has played at.

He is, as of today, easily our best defenseman, and he has the skill set to unlock Morgan’s offense. We are a much better team with him in the lineup.

Yay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad