Proposal: Tampa - New Jersey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Hell no. No shot we are taking on a forward that will need to be protected just for a 2nd round pick. We don't even have a forward slot to spare.

I doubt any team would go for this. Protection slots will be worth more to most teams.

Mad Brills*

Hell no. No shot we are taking on a forward that will need to be protected just for a 2nd round pick. We don't even have a forward slot to spare.

I doubt any team would go for this. Protection slots will be worth more to most teams.

my bad.

But this thread then should be about what is filppula's value, since he has to go from tampa.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
my bad.

But this thread then should be about what is filppula's value, since he has to go from tampa.

His value is going to be really negative because of that NMC.

I think Arizona is the only team with slots to spare and even then, there's not much an incentive there. Protection slots will be worth more IMO.

Mad Brills*

I think Arizona is the only team with slots to spare and even then, there's not much an incentive there. Protection slots will be worth more IMO.

Wonder if you can get him to waive for the expansion draft knowing vegas isn't likely to pick him.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Wonder if you can get him to waive for the expansion draft knowing vegas isn't likely to pick him.

That's a lot of risk for a team to take. What if he changes his mind? I don't think such an agreement can be binding in any fashion.

Mad Brills*

That's a lot of risk for a team to take. What if he changes his mind? I don't think such an agreement can be binding in any fashion.

Agreed, but the kings got a handshake deal from vinny that he was retiring.

So anything's possible.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

Leafs probably have a slot to spare unless if they want to go with 4D + 4F

JVR
Kadri
Komarov
Brown
Leipsic
Rychel

Then I guess the next would be Bozak? Leivo? Unless if I missed someone

Mad Brills*

A team that has more cap space than the leafs makes sense.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Maybe if Hanzal asks for more than they're willing to commit to?

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
A team that has more cap space than the leafs makes sense.

I think the Leafs can afford Filppula's contract. They may have to move Robidas' LTIR contract if they need to fit in the summer cap, or Greening if they need to fit in the actual cap (I don't know the exact numbers)

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Who would NJ have to expose if they made that trade?

Hall
Palmieri
Henrique
Zajac
Cammalleri
Boucher
DSP
Bennett
Blandisi
Josefson

Those are our expansion eligible forwards, I think I got them all. They are probably also in relative order of how we'd keep them.

I'd value pretty much all of the guys we'd have to expose because of this trade higher than a 2nd and Filppula's contract.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How does Filppula have negative value? He's scored at a 0.58ppg average the past 3 seasons so a 48 point pace per season. He's only got 2 years left at a reasonable 5mil for his production as well as being a good two way center. His NMC isn't set in stone either, there's no evidence it's a full NMC that needs to be protected.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
How does Filppula have negative value? He's scored at a 0.58ppg average the past 3 seasons so a 48 point pace per season. He's only got 2 years left at a reasonable 5mil for his production as well as being a good two way center. His NMC isn't set in stone either, there's no evidence it's a full NMC that needs to be protected.

That's what I was telling you but you didn't listen. By all accounts and reliable sources on the internet Flip's got a NMC. People are getting confused because they see a partial NTC attached to it but that's pretty common in the final years of a contract, the main thing is that Flip's NMC is for real. His production took a nosedive the past 2 years and the guy is getting on the wrong side of his 30's now. So he's maybe going to bounce back, or maybe he's not ! All these things considered within the context of oan upcoming expansion draft and it's highly doubtful many teams will waste money and a crucial roster spot on player that didn't play up to his contract for the past 2 seasons and that maybe or not will produce again. Way too many question marks and a bad, bad context.

There are maybe 2 teams, maybe just one, in this league that could take on Flip's contract and NMC without losing too much.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Who would NJ have to expose if they made that trade?

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

That should help. It should be pointed out that Filppula will not be moved. There are too many hurdles that starts with his full NMC. But let's assume that isn't an issue.

For Filppula to be moved TB has to give up something valuable. Any team that gets him MUST give up their next best forward so you can eliminate any teams that would protect 4 defensemen. No team will give up their 4th best forward pre-Filppula. So lets say NJ is the target team. They will then have to give up the 6th best forward on the list in the link (Clowe has a NMC, but if he doesn't return to the NHL this year I'm sure you can agree to let him waive as he isn't coming back. If that is the case or you are talking about any other team, then 7th best forward).

THEN you have to give enough value for the team to take on a $5M contract for TWO years. Savard cost a 2nd and he was a cap hit with no salary, Bickell cost Terovainen for a 2nd & 3rd who cost less for half the term.

So for compensation you need to give back probably double the value of the cap dump deals above AND the cost of the 7th best forward (6th for NJ). Honestly it won't be done because here is the cost:

Filppula, Point/Erne, 2017 1st
For
Smith-Pelly, 2017 4th

Smith-Pelly had 13 points in 18 games with NJ after being traded from Montreal (25 in 64 for the year). While not the greatest piece just remember that this deal is about dumping cap. If the value looks insane to give up then Filppila will NEVER be traded. His contract is toxic and is only 10 times worse with expansion coming. This deal does work for NJ though as one of Point or Erne will be the replacement for whomever gets snatched by Vegas and the 1st is the cost of the cap dump.

If you TB fans hate this deal (I'm not a fan either) then don't bother thinking of possible Filppula deals, no one wants him this year.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

That should help. It should be pointed out that Filppula will not be moved. There are too many hurdles that starts with his full NMC. But let's assume that isn't an issue.

For Filppula to be moved TB has to give up something valuable. Any team that gets him MUST give up their next best forward so you can eliminate any teams that would protect 4 defensemen. No team will give up their 4th best forward pre-Filppula. So lets say NJ is the target team. They will then have to give up the 6th best forward on the list in the link (Clowe has a NMC, but if he doesn't return to the NHL this year I'm sure you can agree to let him waive as he isn't coming back. If that is the case or you are talking about any other team, then 7th best forward).

THEN you have to give enough value for the team to take on a $5M contract for TWO years. Savard cost a 2nd and he was a cap hit with no salary, Bickell cost Terovainen for a 2nd & 3rd who cost less for half the term.

So for compensation you need to give back probably double the value of the cap dump deals above AND the cost of the 7th best forward (6th for NJ). Honestly it won't be done because here is the cost:

Filppula, Point/Erne, 2017 1st
For
Smith-Pelly, 2017 4th

Smith-Pelly had 13 points in 18 games with NJ after being traded from Montreal (25 in 64 for the year). While not the greatest piece just remember that this deal is about dumping cap. If the value looks insane to give up then Filppila will NEVER be traded. His contract is toxic and is only 10 times worse with expansion coming. This deal does work for NJ though as one of Point or Erne will be the replacement for whomever gets snatched by Vegas and the 1st is the cost of the cap dump.

If you TB fans hate this deal (I'm not a fan either) then don't bother thinking of possible Filppula deals, no one wants him this year.

lol, no chance that happens

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That's what I was telling you but you didn't listen. By all accounts and reliable sources on the internet Flip's got a NMC. People are getting confused because they see a partial NTC attached to it but that's pretty common in the final years of a contract, the main thing is that Flip's NMC is for real. His production took a nosedive the past 2 years and the guy is getting on the wrong side of his 30's now. So he's maybe going to bounce back, or maybe he's not ! All these things considered within the context of oan upcoming expansion draft and it's highly doubtful many teams will waste money and a crucial roster spot on player that didn't play up to his contract for the past 2 seasons and that maybe or not will produce again. Way too many question marks and a bad, bad context.

There are maybe 2 teams, maybe just one, in this league that could take on Flip's contract and NMC without losing too much.

Dan Girardi has a NMC, partial NTC as well and everyone is saying he doesn't need to be protected. Unless you know the full details of Filpulla's contract you can't say either way if he needs protecting or not.

His production didn't nosedive especially not two years ago. He dropped 10 points from his first year here but he wasn't the 2C anymore nor a key offensive piece anymore. For 2 years at 5mil he can be a useful piece on lots of teams.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Dan Girardi has a NMC, partial NTC as well and everyone is saying he doesn't need to be protected. Unless you know the full details of Filpulla's contract you can't say either way if he needs protecting or not.

His production didn't nosedive especially not two years ago. He dropped 10 points from his first year here but he wasn't the 2C anymore nor a key offensive piece anymore. For 2 years at 5mil he can be a useful piece on lots of teams.

No, everyone is saying Girardi has to be protected.

Partial NMCs don't exist.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hall
Palmieri
Henrique
Zajac
Cammalleri
Boucher
DSP
Bennett
Blandisi
Josefson

Those are our expansion eligible forwards, I think I got them all. They are probably also in relative order of how we'd keep them.

I'd value pretty much all of the guys we'd have to expose because of this trade higher than a 2nd and Filppula's contract.

Filppula and a 2nd is good value. He'd make us a better team today, and is the type of dynamic puck carrier we could use. Would have no problem exposing DSP, Josefson, Bennett, Blandisi if it meant keeping Filppula. Plus we get a 2nd rounder for a 4th rounder? Easy call for this devils fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad