GDT: Tampa Bay @ Carolina: One Last Monster Mash

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
It makes me feel vindicated that people are starting to realize how important Pitkanen was to this team, but it's a hollow victory when I have to watch the team stink without him. More importantly than that is the goalie situation. The Canes had double Tampa's SOG halfway through the game; that backboard goal pops in and the whole team deflates. Peters played his best game of the year and it still wasn't good enough. The skaters are terrified of anyone actually taking a shot on Peters, and once they really started playing to tie it up in the third, Peters looked like dirt. I'm no statistician, but I counted 3 legit odd-man rushes for Tampa the entire game- limiting an offense like that to 3 is pretty good. One of them got broken up by Murphy and the other two were goals. Would Ward or Khudobin have definitely stopped either of them? Impossible to know, but they both showed that they could handle oddman rushes more than once a game.

Also, the PP sucks. It has always sucked. I can't figure out why and apparently neither can anyone else in the Carolina organization. The playing defensively to help out Peters idea doesn't really jibe with that.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Yeah, 4 games into a losing streak, and I'm already sick of hearing people blame it all on Peters. I bet if Ward was playing in those losses, you'd never catch one word of complaint about his holiness. I wish Rutherford would just go ahead and buy out Ward and Ruutu.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah, 4 games into a losing streak, and I'm already sick of hearing people blame it all on Peters. I bet if Ward was playing in those losses, you'd never catch one word of complaint about his holiness. I wish Rutherford would just go ahead and buy out Ward and Ruutu.

You realize buying those guys out only gives the team cap space and costs them more up front money right? Money that they wouldn't put back intoxicated the roster.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pitts wouldn't change much IMO. What's the chance he would even stay healthy enough to be in the lineup regularly? Even if he was, he typically held the puck way too long waiting for someone to go where HE wanted them to go before accepting them as a passing option. He was infuriating. I don't really miss him at all, and I don't think his ability to skate and pass would change that much in terms of success.

Faulk, sekera, Murphy, hainsey can all pass the puck. All can skate it too. Murphy has been more direct with his attack than Pitts ever was and IMO replaced much of what was lost all by himself. I'm saying he's better yet, just that his ability to push forwards compared to Pitts being too picky and constantly delaying makes the two fairly equal in overall offensive effectiveness. Sekera raises the level too. I don't think the problem is the d at all. All game they look up and delay, when typically they individually have no Pitts in their game at all, Faulk isn't one to hesitate to pass but he was last night. To me that's the forwards. Either not moving enough or being too far ahead of the play for the d to feel comfortable passing.

Pitts wouldn't solve this mess. He never did before. As for the goaltending situation...you can't blame the goalie when you get shut out. Didn't matter if he let in 1 or 5, wasn't his fault. Goalies can't work with zero goals.

Last edited:

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I was being partially sarcastic in my Peters rant. The guy hasn't been playing bad, and you can't blame the goalie when the team isn't scoring goals.

We have problems up and down the roster :sigh:, but at the end of the day Peters isn't a NHL goaltender and he isn't going to help this team win anything.

caniac315

Nov 21, 2011
Raleigh, NC
If the Rex commercial with the mobile and the baby was true to life, the baby would take a swipe at Cam Ward's groin as he swung from the mobile, and take him out for the 'baby watching mobile' season. Or at least 3-4 weeks.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut

What are you talking about? Everything would be blamed on Ward.. Sure, he has his fans but The goalie is demanded to carry the team to shutouts if the team is not scoring.

Plus, if he gave up that first goal last night, Ward would have been roasted. Since its Peters, its like "oh poor Peters, you tried.."

I was being partially sarcastic in my Peters rant. The guy hasn't been playing bad, and you can't blame the goalie when the team isn't scoring goals.

We have problems up and down the roster :sigh:, but at the end of the day Peters isn't a NHL goaltender and he isn't going to help this team win anything.

Having a third string goalie may delay Muller from getting fired but it doesn't excuse the offensive woes. I think the Canes are executing Muller's system, even last night, Tripp was talking about the High forward getting in scoring position, that happened numerous times. The system isn't paying off with goals.

Last edited:

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Well, I asked CI to post today's GDT as well, but I'm not sure whether or not he's in the process of making it. I suppose I'll check back around in about an hour to see if there's one up, or else I might throw together some crap.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Well, I asked CI to post today's GDT as well, but I'm not sure whether or not he's in the process of making it. I suppose I'll check back around in about an hour to see if there's one up, or else I might throw together some crap.

The high-effort GDT have not worked so far. More low-effort GDT now!

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
What are you talking about? Everything would be blamed on Ward.. Sure, he has his fans but The goalie is demanded to carry the team to shutouts if the team is not scoring.

I should have specified.....I'm talking about the Facebook crowd...which is good for a laugh after each game.

Half of them are complaining about certain players, and the other half are calling those people out for being not true fans. A lot of them are blaming it on Peters. Ward can do no wrong.

I'd love to see Ward traded/bought out etc, just to get rid of him and the enigma.

t, he's just a complete waste of a roster space, and nearly $5m. He needs to be benched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad