Swayman Vs The Bruins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
200.webp

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Yes - it's too bad Boston couldn't have looked into the future and seen these contract issues coming up with Swayman. Dammit Sweeney - buy a freaking crystal ball and save yourself all these headaches. :nod:

Yeah bro it takes a real genius to see that trading your other NHL goalie and leaving you with a cap dump/buyout candidate and AHL goalies is a bad idea while you're in the middle of your contending window and trying to sign your franchise goalie.

Who would've ever thought an NHL agent would feast on those circumstances?!

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Waa waa I'm worth so much waa they said mean things.

Dude has accomplished nothing in his career and wants to be paid like he's Carey Price/Bobrovsky who were Vezina winning studs when they got paid 10+ million.

8x8 is extremely fair and if he was so confident in himself, he could always have taken 1x6 or 2x7 to prove it and then get his bag, but the dude is acting like some massive victim because the team probably offered him 6.5-7 mill per which is basically what he has proved so far.

Honestly with how bad things are for the average person, there should be zero sympathy over these overpaid crybabies (all of them not just him) haggling for an extra 1-2 mill per year as if their lifetime earnings hitting 100+million and not a paltry 70+ million is making some massive life quality difference for them and their family.

There's a few players in the league that basically deserve a blank check, he has done nothing so far to even be close to that category.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Look I’m not going to sugar coat this. I am loving every second of this.

I hate the bruins, and I hope facing their own ‘big decision’ with a contract that they’ve had to face in a decade blows up in their face and the team suffers.

Look Up

I won't ruin the market for Audis
Oct 3, 2013
In the parlance of Swayman, Neely and Sweeney are not going to ruin it for how NHL teams handle RFAs.

The window is closing fast on Swayman, if he is determined to go beyond $64M then his days as a member of the Bruins are very short.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Look I’m not going to sugar coat this. I am loving every second of this.

I hate the bruins, and I hope facing their own ‘big decision’ with a contract that they’ve had to face in a decade blows up in their face and the team suffers.
Refreshingly honest.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
This is the definition of f*** around and find out. The teams f*** around by tearing down their players trying just to get a discount on the contracts. Now they're finding out after the player outperformed that contract and isn't about to sign a team friendly deal. Good on Swayman
Is 8x8 really team friendly tho....

Like dude had ONE good playoff run. 44 games is his season high. Getting an 8x8 for a goalie with that resume is absolutely incredible.

Swayman is so out to lunch im sorry.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Still remarkable that they thought it was a good idea to deal Ullmark without being anywhere near close to signing Swayman.

His 15 team ntc was about to kick in

The Bruins will test the theory good teams make goalies and you can win with journeymens between the pipes for all of us.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I can’t get over a guy becoming offended at a process THAT HE ELECTED FOR.

I’m not gonna go to a comedy club where the comedians roast the crowd I’m easily offended or can’t take a joke.
Lol electing for arbitration doesn't mean he can't be upset by the arguments made to lower his value. Your metaphor is junk.

Reactions: JKG33

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Holy crap - how many times does it need repeating here that the Bruins needed to deal Ullmark before July 1st. :banghead:

This...I seem to recall about the potential for things to go bad for the Boston brass had they not moved Ullmark (and possible Swayman contract woes afterwards)...Funny how the well oiled Bruins netminding duo sorta fell apart.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes - it's too bad Boston couldn't have looked into the future and seen these contract issues coming up with Swayman. Dammit Sweeney - buy a freaking crystal ball and save yourself all these headaches. :nod:

You don't think they were trying to sign him before trading away Ullmark ???? :dunno:
I'm pretty damn certain Swayman's agent Lewis Gross planned this out...Just that he was certain Neely/Sweeney would have caved in by now...

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
So many people in this thread just assuming Neely was being 100% truthful and there is a 64 million dollar offer floating around. We have no way of knowing who is currently lying.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd love to be a fly on the wall for all of this because even though I don't really think much of it is out of line, both sides have made it unnecessarily contentious.

from a logistical standpoint I have to wonder what the front office is thinking...you have a goalie you raked in arbitration, represented by an agent notorious for this AND with recent bad blood, AND you just traded away your alternative leverage (Ullmark)...and you just assume he's going to play nice? That seems like a bad assumption and the major misstep that's leading to all the grumpiness. I don't blame Gross or Swayman for holding them hostage as such, minus the theatrics. Assuming it was all in good faith, of course.

I do think both sides swallow their pride and get something done. It's the best ending for everyone involved and maybe I'm being naive but it just seems like both are playing extreme hardball. The question for me is just--and it's literally a question, I have no idea--is Swayman's mental game strong enough to get to work after this or is he all psyched out because of 'what the team thinks of him' in arbitration and offers and otherwise.

I dont know, if Im the front office, maybe i start the season with Korpisalo and get some wins just to add some pressure.

I could be swayed on either side here, I think...I'm just legitimately intrigued. Negotiations are always what I nerd out on :laugh:

Yeah I don’t mind Gross doing his job either. Although at some point, see Nylander as a RFA, when chasing every penny isn’t actually in the players interest.

There is obviously history with the Bruins and Gross with Krug. Gross wouldn’t meet them where they wanted, so the Bruins pulled their offer and said “fine good luck”.

Swayman has less options than Krug here since he is an RFA. I take both sides at their word when they say they want Swayman to stick around and that Swayman wants to be a Bruins, but you hate to see the public comments escalating. I would have done the same thing as Neely, but it is an escalation that could backfire. Regardless, if the Bruins took a no-Gross policy in the future, I wouldn’t complain.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Seems to me swayman wants to be paid like a workhorse, but he hasn't had the opportunity to be one. What is the most starts he's ever had?

A solution might be to sign a short term deal and see how he does with a larger load, but maybe that isn't part of the bruins belief system right now to have a guy pick up the lions share of burden in net.

Swayman is taking advantage of the situation with Ullmark now gone. If Ullmark was still a Bruin, Swayman wouldn't be trying to milk the franchise for every penny out of them. Shame on him for doing this.

Your last two former captains both took discounts at a chance to win.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah I don’t mind Gross doing his job either. Although at some point, see Nylander as a RFA, when chasing every penny isn’t actually in the players interest.

There is obviously history with the Bruins and Gross with Krug. Gross wouldn’t meet them where they wanted, so the Bruins pulled their offer and said “fine good luck”.

Swayman has less options than Krug here since he is an RFA. I take both sides at their word when they say they want Swayman to stick around and that Swayman wants to be a Bruins, but you hate to see the public comments escalating. I would have done the same thing as Neely, but it is an escalation that could backfire. Regardless, if the Bruins took a no-Gross policy in the future, I wouldn’t complain.
Nylander got paid. And then he got paid again. In what way were his interests not served?

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Swayman has weakmind.
I'm a dumb fan and even I know when players elect to go to arbitration, things get real. If you can't handle the truth, don't elect to go to arbitration. Simple as.

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
They should trade him if he doesn't fall in line. No single player is more important than the team.

"Fighting against the owners" (good joke) doesn't happen at a contract negotiation between a player and team. It happens with the PA through the CBA. But of course NONE of the players are serious about that at all.

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Options--Can't Swayman sit out this year (he has made around $6M so far so he can afford to) get to his free agent year of 27, Nov 28, 2025 and then get his money from another team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad