TV: Survivor: General Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gonna try to send an audition tape in probably by Christmas. I wanna lose another 20 lbs if I can before then. Advice? Also know a guy who's brother is married to Parvati's cousin. Don't know if that matters.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Gonna try to send an audition tape in probably by Christmas. I wanna lose another 20 lbs if I can before then. Advice? Also know a guy who's brother is married to Parvati's cousin. Don't know if that matters.
Biggest advice is probably to ham up specific character traits/ways you are going to play. Really gotta stand out in some way. Try to make it as entertaining as possible.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Biggest advice is probably to ham up specific character traits/ways you are going to play. Really gotta stand out in some way. Try to make it as entertaining as possible.
Was going to tell them the absolute mountain of shit I've gone through and it's aligned with the kind of contestant they're looking for

1. Lost my job twice
2. Career change
3. Sweetheart gets addicted to meth
4. She recovered
5. Dad killed by drunk driver
6. There's more but I am leaving out a very bad detail that I don't know reflects on me even though it's not my fault

Was gonna talk about how my perfect day is yelling at my TV from the couch. That overcoming all this crap for such a happy life is the hardest thing I have ever done and it isn't enough for me anymore. That I want the hardest challenge of my life to be winning the million and I'm tired of watching people just like me change their lives and emphasize that Survivor is more about the journey of life and overcoming obstacles than anything else.

Gonna wear a Trogdor shirt to give them a sense of the kind of guy I am and tell them I love escape rooms and using my brain. I plan to winning by virtue of if there's any kind of advantage I'm gonna sniff it out like a bloodhound. Like I am straight up looking for the idol as soon as I land on the beach albeit i won't be obvious. And If I gotta lie so be it

Edit: this is badly out of order. I'll introduce myself talk about myself, why I'm good and "my story" is the finale of it

Change it up or keep it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You have to stand out. Don’t try to make yourself sound as normal as you can. That’s not what they’re looking for.
Unfortunately, I feel like that is. They don't want to stand outs who cause drama and issues like they used to. Most of the cast is so vanilla these days aside from maybe 1-2 players a season. Now they just have a check list of diversities/sexual orientations they need to fulfill. Never mind looking for entertaining players.

Reactions: shakes the clown

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Unfortunately, I feel like that is. They don't want to stand outs who cause drama and issues like they used to. Most of the cast is so vanilla these days aside from maybe 1-2 players a season. Now they just have a check list of diversities/sexual orientations they need to fulfill. Never mind looking for entertaining players.
I think both can be true. You have to check certain “different” boxes. If you don’t have some wicked story or belong to this or that box and are just a regular person, you almost certainly aren’t getting on the show.

So yeah, you don’t really have to put on a show to make yourself seem different, but also don’t appear like a completely average person. Being authentic like that isn’t what they want. It’s probably even a waste if you don’t check their boxes. You just aren’t what they want.

For someone that checks their boxes and has a wicked story, you play that up. For someone that doesn’t check their boxes, you gotta try a Hail Mary and be as unique as possible and not normal at all.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
@These Are The Days you might have already checked them out but heres a bunch of audition tapes on youtube.

Thats a playlist for some older contestants.

Jesus Christ. I really WAS better off doing a mock idol hunt in the woods with an absolutely giant sign saying "idol here" not being able to find it. All while panning back and forth talking about myself in a confessional style. I was no shit gonna have a friend of mine have it say "Slapaho tribe" on the corner next to my name in the editing process

I talked myself off of that to sit at my kitchen table and calmly talk about why I'm a fit

This is insane

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
just saw the photos of the new cast. It looks like a diverse collection of people who have never been laid. Just looking at them I have a pretty good idea that the season is going to suck.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago

Only advice I can give u as someone who applied for a show (Love Cruise) with an audition tape, made it to the show and was told that I had a great audition tape.....do something unique that stands out, but at the same time features your authentic self.

My tape assignment was to talk about yourself. I went with a man on the street interview segment where I interviewed several people in the community who knew me and asked them weird funny questions about me. Back then I was very self deprecating so a lot of that made it's way into the video. It was a romance show so to prove I could get a girl I ended the interview interviewing a very pretty friend of mine who i had dated previously and asked her to rate me in bed and stuff like that. Video ended with me and her getting naked in a hot tub.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
A couple people who have been on the show have given me some advice on audition tapes.

- Apparently the casting folks like people to mention how much they want the money and if you have a sappy story about why you want/need the money.

- Play up a certain character trait/trope that you want to portray. It sounds cliché but you also need to find a way to stand out.

- Try to keep your video somewhat simple. If you put too much flair and production into it it can come off as too contrived.

- Stay persistent. Wendell told me that it took him like 5 or 6 recruitment cycles to get on the show.

You could also try to look up some of the stuff that Adam Klein has shared. He works as a coach to help people get through casting and onto the show and has had a lot of success recently. Three of his clients made it onto season 45 (Brandon, Brando, and Kaleb). Pretty pricey, but I'm sure you could probably find some of the info he's shared online somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad