Post-Game Talk: superstorm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
1st game I didn't watch to the end. When it was 4-1, told puppies to do nite, nite. Got into bed, then 5-1, then Sam says "they have to kill this penalty if they have any ideas of coming back"........when I heard that, I laughed and shut it off. Wow, Sam. Really?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
There are no great teams this season, so far.

Every team has lost games like that this season.
This is correct. This team is FAR from perfect... but is as good as anyone else because EVERY team has holes. Depending on what happens at the TDL, and let's face it, every good team is up against the cap so..., I see this post season as being even more of a crapshoot than usual. and a low seed made it all the way to the Finals last year... beating a record setting regular season team in the first round.

Glad I had to miss this game though...

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There are certainly holes on the roster and things you could discuss as concerns, backed up by long-term trends.

With that being said, it's important to never derive too much from one result.

On May 9th, 2022, we played maybe the worst game I've ever seen the Rangers play. It's up there. That was in a playoff series. We won that series.

The Rangers also lost a pivotal playoff game at home to the Devils. It put them down 3-2 in the series. A completely flat effort in which they fell behind 4-0 on MSG ice. The year? 1994.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I actually missed this game, went to an Army hockey game up in West Point. Was a nice experience. I guess reading the comments, things were bad, tried to read some of the GDT but was pretty bad, lol.

I just think some people need to take a step back and appreciate this team. Nothing will ever be perfect, and it takes the entire season to really get ready for the playoffs. I would like to see some upgrades here and there, especially if Chytil is done for the year.

We are fortunate to have the skill and talents of Panarin, Fox, Mika, and Kreider. Shesty shit the bed last night it happens. Have to move on and just try to improve things.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I actually missed this game, went to an Army hockey game up in West Point. Was a nice experience. I guess reading the comments, things were bad, tried to read some of the GDT but was pretty bad, lol.

I just think some people need to take a step back and appreciate this team. Nothing will ever be perfect, and it takes the entire season to really get ready for the playoffs. I would like to see some upgrades here and there, especially if Chytil is done for the year.

We are fortunate to have the skill and talents of Panarin, Fox, Mika, and Kreider. Shesty shit the bed last night it happens. Have to move on and just try to improve things.
All one-dimensional players as opposed to multifaceted, as far as I'm concerned.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Panarin and Zibanejad, I could see the argument that they have huge blind sports.

Fox and Kreider are one-dimensional???? Fox????????????
They all do. Fox lacks speed. I said from the very beginning of his career that once opponents figure him out, he will not be able juke people like he once did on guile.

Maybe one-dimensional is too far but lack of speed is a major blind spot.

Kreider, he has great hands and sometimes takes the body and works the walls. Still, he's a tip artist and a rush player. But I'm not rehashing him.

Reactions: Graves94

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They all do. Fox lacks speed. I said from the very beginning of his career that once opponents figure him out, he will not be able juke people like he once did on guile.

Maybe one-dimensional is too far but lack of speed is a major blind spot.

Kreider, he has great hands and sometimes takes the body and works the walls. Still, he's a tip artist and a rush player. But I'm not rehashing him.
Lacking one dimension and one-dimensional are opposites, sir.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Lacking one dimension and one-dimensional are opposites, sir.
I'll just say, when this core is done and turns over, the FO needs to adopt a more well rounded approach tmto player evals that's also less about finesse for building the next core.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll just say, when this core is done and turns over, the FO needs to adopt a more well rounded approach to player evals.
Fine but I would like you to officially strike Adam Fox from the record. He's one-dimensional like Andre the Giant had one beer.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I see a lot of people say there's something wrong with Fox. It's been going on, honestly, since he won the Norris.

Nothing about Fox has changed. This is who he is and he's still the guy that won the Norris.

He was never a player that's going to get you out of your seat. He's Bret Hart. He's technically perfect, makes everyone else better, understands what the game is, and delivers constantly. He's also, like Bret was, a bit f***ing boring. Sorry.

When nobody else noticed, and Fox was our little diamond in the rough, that generated the excitement.

Now that everyone knows who he is, and it's just Adam Fox on another Tuesday in January, people are asking themselves why they're not excited. He's just not that kind of player. It's not any different from what it was.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I think you have blinders on when it comes to Fox. I love the guy and think he's an outstanding player, but if you can't see that he's not the same player as previous years, I don't know what to tell you.
He's not as creative offensively and gets beat often on the defensive side, you can tell by the number of times he lifts his hands up or looks up in sky, every time he gets beat, including last night, in the third period...
Great player, but I expect more from a guy making $9.5M

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I see a lot of people say there's something wrong with Fox. It's been going on, honestly, since he won the Norris.

Nothing about Fox has changed. This is who he is and he's still the guy that won the Norris.

He was never a player that's going to get you out of your seat. He's Bret Hart. He's technically perfect, makes everyone else better, understands what the game is, and delivers constantly. He's also, like Bret was, a bit f***ing boring. Sorry.

When nobody else noticed, and Fox was our little diamond in the rough, that generated the excitement.

Now that everyone knows who he is, and it's just Adam Fox on another Tuesday in January, people are asking themselves why they're not excited. He's just not that kind of player. It's not any different from what it was.
Simple metric: how many oohs and aahs does he draw per 60 nowadays?

Reactions: WhereO Is Kakko

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Simple metric: how many oohs and aahs does he draw per 60 nowadays?
patrick-spongebob.gif

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Sam unwittingly sealed our fate last night with "these two teams have outstanding special teams"

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Some consistency would be nice
They are consistent. They win pretty consistently, and not only that, I pretty much know what to expect out of this team most nights in terms of the style of play, the flow of the play, where they will likely perform, and where they will likely not.

When people say "consistency" they mean never having a bad game.

Reactions: frozenrubber

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
They traded him for a good return and he’s basically been the same player in Carolina? Is this supposed to be some gotcha?

He’s having a good year if you’re not watching the games lol

Schneider is supposed to be the defensive guy on any pairing. If he can’t do that, then what exactly is he good at? Cause he’s not good at offense
I suppose you could come to that conclusion without ever watching the guy play, which is what you have done. Skjei has been excellent for Carolina. He's not Larry Robinson, but his defense is steady. He can move the puck and puts up points considering he isn't on PP1.

As far as Schneider, he's just a kid. Most of the time, D take longer to develop.

Don't be that guy who wants to throw players away at the first sign of adversity.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
got mollywhopped last night by #2 in the division. not good need to shape up and get them next game. they're built to give us problems with their system.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Stayed out of this thread after the game, just wanted to poke my head in and say that sucked but hopefully it's a wake up call to the players as to how they have to play if they want to win "playoff" style games and also to Lavi for what this team basically looks like when they're not structured (very much like last year's team).

Also, it is just one game in January. This team has flaws and when they put up a stinker all those flaws are magnified. All is not lost because of a January loss to Carolina - a Carolina team that is not only very good but also highly motivated because they were 7 points back from us with 2 extra games played going into last night. Rod Whine'Somemore had them ready like it was a playoff game because it essentially was for them if they want to win the division.

The most important thing for this team is not letting things spiral. It's been basically .500 hockey the last month, it's time to pull back out of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad