Summer Vacation/OT

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Ah yes one of the perks of moving down south is the trade of good pizza for good BBQ lol. I will certainly try to find the time to take a trip to Asheville at some point if I can after hearing you talk about it as well. Appreciate the informative post as Serenbe sounds super interesting as well.

Very true and sounds good. Be in touch anytime if you have further questions.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Isn't Chautaqua like Serenbe?

Never heard of this until you mentioned it. Looked at it and doesn't really seem the same. Serenbe is more living/community based around housing. Chautaqua is an institution.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Never heard of this until you mentioned it. Looked at it and doesn't really seem the same. Serenbe is more living/community based around housing. Chautaqua is an institution.

One Excerpt:

Chautauqua was more than a name; it was a movement.​

During the heat of the Chautauqua movement, “circuit chautauquas” became prevalent around the country. These traveling circuits brought lecturers to local communities, a pop-up style of entertainment that became wildly popular throughout the beginning of the 20th century. Much like the original institution, these multi-day events sported lecturers on all subjects and a variety of entertainment. “Chautauqua” was more than a place; it was a symbol of adult education and social movement.

IslesNbeer

Sponsor
Nov 25, 2016
Alberta
I'm in Alberta, Canada. Making plans to go to Idaho in Sept to visit a friend that I've played various video games with over the last 15ish years. Going to make it a 3 day trip on the way there and do some camping on the way.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I'm in Alberta, Canada. Making plans to go to Idaho in Sept to visit a friend that I've played various video games with over the last 15ish years. Going to make it a 3 day trip on the way there and do some camping on the way.
Try the potatoes. I hear they’re fantastic.

Reactions: IslesNbeer

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

If you haven't been to Lake Louise it's a must. Actually the real MUST is the "tea houses hike." I like hiking and this was one of the best days of my life.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Checking in during a lengthy family vacation in my Motherland of Ireland. Thrilled with this pick, was really excited when I woke up and saw the news. I don't give a rats ass if he's a one trick pony, we don't have a single horse who can perform this trick as is in our rodeo so I'm very excited.
Awesome! What part? My step mom is from Bere Island. They have 55 acres there and it’s amazing!!

Reactions: NYI365

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Pools vs the ocean, I take the ocean. The ocean is there 24/7 if I'm at the beach and I don't need to think about what time a boat is departing or leaving a location I like. There's more to it as well but it all just boils down to cruise ships just aren't for me.
I have been this way all my life. But I just got back from my first visit to Lake Sebago in Maine (I have a friend with a house on Frye Island in the lake), and that place is special - only complaint is that there are too many (somewhat obnoxious) motorboats/jetskis. Because in terms of being *in* the water, I've never been in a better place. It's freshwater, spring fed so *incredibly* clear, with a soft/non-silty sandy bottom. And I would absolutely drink the water (it is Portland's water supply) - not without filtering of course (there are beavers, and so giardia). Unbelievable place.

I do swim in the gulf of maine (in protected waters), usually in a shorty wetsuit (it's about 60, but getting warmer every year), but sometimes I get freaked out swimming there. There are so many fish, MANY (like many many) harbor seals, and even harbor porpoises (I've been relieved to notice that a dorsal fin was *rounded* on several occasions.) In short, lots of prey for large sharks.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Update!

Instead of fun for me this Summer, apparently, I'm drying out the basement from a flood, ripping out flooring, replacing the A/C, and sweating.

Good times.

Reactions: SI90

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Awesome! What part? My step mom is from Bere Island. They have 55 acres there and it’s amazing!!
Spent 11 days there, got back Saturday night.

Beautiful country, and simultaneously too many Guinnesses and not enough Guinnesses were had I assure you haha. All over, Dublin then Belfast, Ballygally, up to Giant's Causeway, Derry, mom's family came from Donegal so we stayed for 3 days there, Cavan to play some golf at a country club (I f***ing suck) and back to Dublin. Will go back in my lifetime for sure.

5.5 hours JFK to Dublin is easy, 7 hours from Dublin to JFK sucks.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Beautiful country, and simultaneously too many Guinnesses and not enough Guinnesses were had I assure you haha. All over, Dublin then Belfast, Ballygally, up to Giant's Causeway, Derry, mom's family came from Donegal so we stayed for 3 days there, Cavan to play some golf at a country club (I f***ing suck) and back to Dublin. Will go back in my lifetime for sure.

How was Donegal? My family is from there a well but I haven't gotten there yet.

Reactions: NYI365 and SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Awesome!!! Here’s some pics of my step mom’s recent trip there. They renovated the cottage house about 12 years ago. They can trace their family back there to the 1800’s. Just amazing

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpeg
    IMG_2186.jpeg
    582.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2193.jpeg
    IMG_2193.jpeg
    397.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2201.jpeg
    IMG_2201.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2200.jpeg
    IMG_2200.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 1
  • b3d38175-7a45-46c1-b16c-fe936bf9751b.jpeg
    b3d38175-7a45-46c1-b16c-fe936bf9751b.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2184.jpeg
    IMG_2184.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2185.jpeg
    IMG_2185.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2194.jpeg
    IMG_2194.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 1

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My thoughts exactly!! Somehow, he is behind all of this.

You better hope there isn't a hurricane named after him or you're going to be rebuilding the whole house. :laugh:

Unexpected home repairs are the worst, hope the damage isn't too bad.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
You better hope there isn't a hurricane named after him or you're going to be rebuilding the whole house. :laugh:

Unexpected home repairs are the worst, hope the damage isn't too bad.

Hurricane Joshua,, lol.. Everyone would be texting me and you KNOW the eye would be right over Bones' house.

It couldve been salt water -- it wasnt
It couldve been cesspool backup -- it wasnt.. thankfully 💩
It couldve been when I wasnt home.. I was.....

All that being said, it sucks..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad