Abramov and Alexandrov

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Blues sent Qualifying offers to both Alexandrov and Abramov.
Do we know if they have been signed? Cant find any news about these two.

Abramov signed a one year deal with Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod in the KHL. We only qualified him to retain his rights. Alexandrov isn't signed yet, but we still have some time till trainingcamp starts, although it also wouldn't surprise me if he moved to Europe.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Abramov signed a one year deal with Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod in the KHL. We only qualified him to retain his rights. Alexandrov isn't signed yet, but we still have some time till trainingcamp starts, although it also wouldn't surprise me if he moved to Europe.
I think Alexandrov wants a one-way contract. Also, aren’t the Blues at 51 of 50 allowable contracts? I’m not sure how they were allowed to exceed 50, but they may not have room to even offer a contract to Alexandrov.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think Alexandrov wants a one-way contract. Also, aren’t the Blues at 51 of 50 allowable contracts? I’m not sure how they were allowed to exceed 50, but they may not have room to even offer a contract to Alexandrov.

Contracts for players under a certain age in juniors and Europe are exempt, and do not count toward the 50 limit. They are listed now but will not be once the players report to their European club (Stenburg, Lindstein, Jiricek).

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

This is the question I'd like to ask Alexandrov if I had the chance.

office-space-paul-lee-wilson.gif

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Contracts for players under a certain age in juniors and Europe are exempt, and do not count toward the 50 limit. They are listed now but will not be once the players report to their European club (Stenburg, Lindstein, Jiricek).
Not to nitpick, but Taylor said the plan for Jiricek is to play in the CHL this year, your point still stands, just pointing that out.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Someone needs to give Alexandrov some pre-Euro Sobotka videos to show him how he needs to play. I think Alexandrov might have a bit more offensive skill in the tank than Sobotka, but if he could be as tenacious on the puck and score 25-30 points, that would be an incredibly big win for this player. Right now, a passive 15-point guy who can maybe-kind-of play the pk is a dime a dozen.

Reactions: mk80

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I expect that Alexandrov and the Blues will eventually agree on a league minimum deal that is either 1 way or pays him a $400k+ AHL salary.

For the player, he has to see the writing on the wall that he isn't a lock to make the NHL roster. Last season went very poorly for him. While the team let a few bottom 6 guys walk, they also brought in 3 legit NHL-caliber bottom/middle 6 players and extended Kapanen at bottom 6 money. The result is 12 forwards on 1 way deals, plus Neighbours (roster lock), plus Bolduc (highly likely roster spot), and all the other prospects coming to camp to try and earn an NHL job after another year of development. On top of those 14+ forwards to worry about, it is looking like the team very well might carry 8 NHL D, which would take one of the 'extra' forward spots on the roster. Securing a good AHL salary just has to be a priority for him even if he is extremely confident about earning a job at camp.

Obviously the team wants to minimize what they spend on him. However, I think he's a good enough player and has enough promise that it is worth paying him a few hundred grand to play in the AHL if that is where he winds up. It's a (small) disincentive for a team to pick him up on waivers and it keeps him open as an option when injuries hit.

I think a league-minimum NHL salary with an assurance of good money in the AHL just makes too much sense for a deal not to get done.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I expect that Alexandrov and the Blues will eventually agree on a league minimum deal that is either 1 way or pays him a $400k+ AHL salary.

For the player, he has to see the writing on the wall that he isn't a lock to make the NHL roster. Last season went very poorly for him. While the team let a few bottom 6 guys walk, they also brought in 3 legit NHL-caliber bottom/middle 6 players and extended Kapanen at bottom 6 money. The result is 12 forwards on 1 way deals, plus Neighbours (roster lock), plus Bolduc (highly likely roster spot), and all the other prospects coming to camp to try and earn an NHL job after another year of development. On top of those 14+ forwards to worry about, it is looking like the team very well might carry 8 NHL D, which would take one of the 'extra' forward spots on the roster. Securing a good AHL salary just has to be a priority for him even if he is extremely confident about earning a job at camp.

Obviously the team wants to minimize what they spend on him. However, I think he's a good enough player and has enough promise that it is worth paying him a few hundred grand to play in the AHL if that is where he winds up. It's a (small) disincentive for a team to pick him up on waivers and it keeps him open as an option when injuries hit.

I think a league-minimum NHL salary with an assurance of good money in the AHL just makes too much sense for a deal not to get done.

Where do you see him in a year? I don't see a spot for him this year and honestly going forward. Too many young forwards pushing for spots and to me, he doesn't grind enough to be a 4th liner.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Where do you see him in a year? I don't see a spot for him this year and honestly going forward. Too many young forwards pushing for spots and to me, he doesn't grind enough to be a 4th liner.
Sweden, Russia or Germany.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Tappara Tampere @ HC Dynamo Pardubice
    Tappara Tampere @ HC Dynamo Pardubice
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Armenia vs Latvia
    Armenia vs Latvia
    Wagers: 3