Summer Vacation/OT

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Heading to Asheville on Sunday. Any suggestions (food, hiking/nature, experiences, etc) would be welcomed.

Then off to Serenbe (just south of Atlanta) if anyone has even heard of it.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just solved a long running question mark I've had since I was a kid last night.

So when I was a teenager, I remember a movie on HBO that was set in a jungle and was an Indiana Jones type spoof movie. Anyway, the movie featured a Playboy playmate and there was this massage scene that burned into my brain when I saw back in '88-'90-8ish. Over the years it always bugged the shit out of me that I couldn't remember the movie or the name of that playmate.

So l discovered Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death again last night starring Shannon Tweed on Amazon Prime, but that wasn't it although I remembered that movie from back in the day. Anyway, I finally figured out the movie in question after doing some more research.

Further Adeventures of Tennessee Buck and that playmate was Kathy Shower - PMOY 1986. FINALLY! This has been bugging me for decades. Thank you Internet! Check out the massage scene, my fellow pervs.

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Heading to Asheville on Sunday. Any suggestions (food, hiking/nature, experiences, etc) would be welcomed.

Based on what I see, Serenbe is kind of like Celebration south of Orlando

I assume you know about Asheville a bit better

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Summer Bucket List

Josh Bailey's Childhood Home
Zorn's Poultry Farm
The Rongo in Trumansburg
Conjugal visit with Ghislaine
Banging Sophie Marceau

Amazingly, the last one is the most likely to accomplish . . . :help:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
My wife and I in Ocean Island inlet

1000005821.jpg

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Curious to hear how Asheville is. I live semi close and always hear people say to go to Asheville. Also curious how Serenbe is as that is only about 3 hours away from me.

Have a trip to Jamaica for a resort during Thanksgiving week. I am usually a cruise guy if going the all inclusive route so I hope this is on the same level at least. Thinking of doing a Royal Caribbean Cruise next summer with friends but nothing actually set in stone.

Got about another month left of summer before starting the school year up again. Usually after the first month of golfing and relaxing the boredom kicks in. Though I am sure the non teachers are rolling their eyes at that lol.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Curious to hear how Asheville is. I live semi close and always hear people say to go to Asheville. Also curious how Serenbe is as that is only about 3 hours away from me.

Have a trip to Jamaica for a resort during Thanksgiving week. I am usually a cruise guy if going the all inclusive route so I hope this is on the same level at least. Thinking of doing a Royal Caribbean Cruise next summer with friends but nothing actually set in stone.

Got about another month left of summer before starting the school year up again. Usually after the first month of golfing and relaxing the boredom kicks in. Though I am sure the non teachers are rolling their eyes at that lol.
All inclusives are better than cruises for me. Plop down in the back everyday and not have to move while getting drunk? Sounds good to me.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
All inclusives are better than cruises for me. Plop down in the back everyday and not have to move while getting drunk? Sounds good to me.
You can do that on a cruise ship too you know . . . Or is the elevator to the promenade too much effort? :laugh:

Right. Realistically it is more of a discussion of where you would rather get drunk. For our honeymoon we went to Italy for 10 days and wow was it beautiful. Don't know when the next time I would go back but the food is so fresh compared to America.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You can do that on a cruise ship too you know . . . Or is the elevator to the promenade too much effort? :laugh:
Pools vs the ocean, I take the ocean. The ocean is there 24/7 if I'm at the beach and I don't need to think about what time a boat is departing or leaving a location I like. There's more to it as well but it all just boils down to cruise ships just aren't for me.

Plus, there are way too many horror stories about cruise ships.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Asheville was great, but it's always different when you vacation somewhere as opposed to live there. The downtown is so small to me given I'm from NY. There are some shops and restaurants, but honestly not sure when We went for my father in law's 75th so rented a really nice house in the woods. I ate amazing, drank a bunch of good coffee, went zip lining with my kid, saw some amazing sights/views (the Omni hotel and Biltmore grounds), and hiked in the woods. Lots of things that are my favorites.

Also I cannot recommend Huli Sue's BBQ enough. The brisket cooked so tender and the "Huli chicken skewers" were just about the best flavored chicken I've ever had.

Also went to Liberty House Coffee and Cafe. It's a great breakfast and brunch spot with outdoor seating and had some live music which really set the tone when we were there. They just need a better system for ordering as they have ONE person taking orders and literally writing them down for the chefs so the link can unnecessarily stretch outside and take way longer than needed. That said once you get the food it's so tasty and the atmosphere great that it all seems worth it.,

Then we drove from Ashville to sourthern Atlanta were we went to Serenbe. I can see this not being for everyone, but if you like what feels like a modern peaceful community of like-minded people who love nature, health, and the arts while living in truly beautiful homes...Then it's really for you. I've travelled a lot and I don't know another place like this in the US. I said hello and/or waved to more strangers in 2 days than I have in the past year. It just has a really great feel and they still have so much more to build. Just got back yesterday and I've had a stronger pull to buy a rental property more than here.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Asheville was great, but it's always different when you vacation somewhere as opposed to live there. The downtown is so small to me given I'm from NY. There are some shops and restaurants, but honestly not sure when We went for my father in law's 75th so rented a really nice house in the woods. I ate amazing, drank a bunch of good coffee, went zip lining with my kid, saw some amazing sights/views (the Omni hotel and Biltmore grounds), and hiked in the woods. Lots of things that are my favorites.

Also I cannot recommend Huli Sue's BBQ enough. The brisket cooked so tender and the "Huli chicken skewers" were just about the best flavored chicken I've ever had.

Also went to Liberty House Coffee and Cafe. It's a great breakfast and brunch spot with outdoor seating and had some live music which really set the tone when we were there. They just need a better system for ordering as they have ONE person taking orders and literally writing them down for the chefs so the link can unnecessarily stretch outside and take way longer than needed. That said once you get the food it's so tasty and the atmosphere great that it all seems worth it.,

Then we drove from Ashville to sourthern Atlanta were we went to Serenbe. I can see this not being for everyone, but if you like what feels like a modern peaceful community of like-minded people who love nature, health, and the arts while living in truly beautiful homes...Then it's really for you. I've travelled a lot and I don't know another place like this in the US. I said hello and/or waved to more strangers in 2 days than I have in the past year. It just has a really great feel and they still have so much more to build. Just got back yesterday and I've had a stronger pull to buy a rental property more than here.

Ah yes one of the perks of moving down south is the trade of good pizza for good BBQ lol. I will certainly try to find the time to take a trip to Asheville at some point if I can after hearing you talk about it as well. Appreciate the informative post as Serenbe sounds super interesting as well.

Reactions: periferal

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Isn't Chautaqua like Serenbe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad