Summer Poll - How will we do in 2024-25 based on the roster today?

Assuming no significant offseason moves, how will the Habs do this upcoming season?

• Total voters

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
OIG2.jpeg

:naughty:

Last edited:

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
They will be bad but with some improvement from the future core group. This would include our entire current top line of Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkovsky, and others like Guhle, and potentially Roy.

Dach, Xhekaj, and Newhook will be our swing men - can they stay healthy? If so, we have a second line that ideally take pressure off the top line to carry all the offense. If not, we likely continue to rely completely on one line and wallow in mediocrity. Xhekaj gives them a swagger that they simply don’t possess when he’s not in the lineup. He’s got all the tools to be a physical monster, and put up offense with his cannon shot. Needs to put it all together though, and stay healthy.

I don’t expect Matheson to repeat his career year offensively, but I would imagine he will continue to lead the offensive drive from the blueliners. Savard will be his usual consistent, overweight but steady self. I don’t know how Barron will do but if he’s able to eliminate some of his defensive blunders, he has great offensive instincts and a knack for scoring goals.

Our goalies are average at best right now. Some nights they’re terrific, other nights they stink worse than a wheel of Dutch Cheese. Consistency will be their biggest concern.

As far as the rest? I don’t expect anything from Gallagher at this point (the poor guy has given everything to the Habs), I fully believe Josh Anderson will have a bounce back season, and that Evans, Armia and whomever else they have manning the fourth line other than Pezz are average at best.

Reactions: Zorro

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don’t expect the PP to improve that much. The 1st PP will probably be the same
The power play improved last year once Slafkovsky was put on it. Dach is an upgrade on Newhook on PP1. Caufield Shooting Percentage should go up.

A PP2 of Newhook-Armia-Roy-Hutson-Guhle/Xhekaj should be better than last year PP2.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
85 points, good for 22nd in the league.

Huzzah we have achieved mediocrity.

Now watch them win the Cup.
Yes, but unlike with Houle who locked us into mediocrity, we are just passing through.

Is it certain Demidov is not coming over this season ?

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
I see no reason to think they will do better than 22nd... 4 more wins because Dach will be there full season (I hope) and with him, we have a better 2nd line (Dach-Newhook- Armia/Roy) and PP. Hutson will give us some swagger on the PP but Matheson, likely, wont repeat his great season.

So we will pick up around 10th.

If HuGo is somewhat able to find a top 6, we could be a bubble team. But do we really want this?

To be honest, I think I would prefer they pick in the top 5 one more year.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
I don’t understand how we can look at the rosters of the Islanders, Capitals, Flyers, Pens, Sens, Buffalo, Detroit and NJD, and act like they’re in a different tier.

They all have huge question marks like the Habs. Barring another Dach level injury it will be much closer then people anticipate, there is 6 solid playoff teams then anybody can make it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don’t understand how we can look at the rosters of the Islanders, Capitals, Flyers, Pens, Sens, Buffalo, Detroit and NJD, and act like they’re in a different tier.

They all have huge question marks like the Habs. Barring another Dach level injury it will be much closer then people anticipate, there is 6 solid playoff teams then anybody can make it.
I think New Jersey will improve a lot. They very likely make the playoffs.

We might squeak into 8th but a lot has to go right. I think we’ll finish with 84-90 points. We’d need at least 92 to make it.

All that being said, we could have injuries and tank.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Just looking at the division I don't see how we don't finish last in our divison so bottom 5-7 Maybeeee DET could have a bad year but I don't see them dropping that far
So you don't see how Ottawa can't just do what they've done over the past 5+ years and underperform even though on paper the rebuild was supposed to be over?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Likely finishing bottom 10. Would be insane if we win the lottery, and go into the 25-26 season with a top 6 of
Demidov - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Hagens - Dach

For the habs to make the playoffs this season, the following would basically need to happen:
- Stay very healthy
- Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf be an elite line all season
- Dach breaking out, and making the 2nd line a good one. Roy and Newhook taking the next step.
- Bottom 6 players like Gallagher, Armia, Anderson, Dvorak having good seasons
- Hutson having a calder trophy worthy rookie season
- Guhle reaching another level

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
honestly I think we can compete for a playoff spot if Dach and Newhook stay healthy

1+ year of experience/improvements for everyone and adding Hutson to run the PP could be big, if they can do damage on the PP that might be enough extra goals to get into the playoffs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Likely finishing bottom 10. Would be insane if we win the lottery, and go into the 25-26 season with a top 6 of
Caufield - Hagens - Dach

For the habs to make the playoffs this season, the following would basically need to happen:
- Stay very healthy
- Dach breaking out, and making the 2nd line a good one. Roy and Newhook taking the next step.

If we win the lottery - Frondell or Martone are the guys. Hagens is nice but redundant with Demidov.. adding another big winger or big center who can play wing would balance everything majestically.

Reactions: Anardil and Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
If we win the lottery - Frondell or Martone are the guys. Hagens is nice but redundant with Demidov.. adding another big winger or big center who can play wing would balance everything majestically.
Yup, size is the way to go. Gives us an out if Dach can’t get past health concerns too.

Unless an RD comes out of the woodwork during the season and climbs the rankings.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Bottom 5-8, goaltending and blueline is still sus beyond Arbs and Guhle. Health concerns will always be an issue till the beef up the 3-4 lines, which are horrific by NHL standards, just awful. We roll on 2 lines, how much is really going to change? Need some depth to help chip in , enough is enough

Need more size and grit, it's pathetic

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
honestly I think we can compete for a playoff spot if Dach and Newhook stay healthy

1+ year of experience/improvements for everyone and adding Hutson to run the PP could be big, if they can do damage on the PP that might be enough extra goals to get into the playoffs
How much more than 62 points do you think Hutson will get?

Reactions: B1g B1rd

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I still think around 10th but I’m sure they’ll sell off some vets at the deadline, which could cause them to drop.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'm saying if Hutson is able to QB the PP from being 1 of the worst in the league to being top 10 that might be enough to get in, a good PP is production for everyone on the unit, not just 1 guy. Also you gotta remember that Caufield didn't do much on the PP last season, there's upside there too. Dach is a big piece on the unit as well.

We had the most 1 goal game losses in the league. Add Dach/Newhook and a good PP, that can be enough to swing a lot of those 1 goal losses into wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: rickthegoon

B1g B1rd

Habs Best Def of all times
May 21, 2018
Thats the question... I dont think Hutson will make a big difference this year 24-25. Matheson will get maybe 45 and Hutson will get 35. Maybe... Imo. Next year, if we trade Matheson, again maybe, Hutson is a 70-75 pts QB which remains to be proven.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Caufield - Hagens - Dach

- Stay very healthy
Has a ring to it.
1723585658563.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad