Summer Poll - How will we do in 2024-25 based on the roster today?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Assuming no significant offseason moves, how will the Habs do this upcoming season?

• Total voters

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I went with bubble team missing the playoffs as I expect them to continue to progress point wise and get into the mid-80s. But there's not much difference between finishing around 10th from the bottom and being a bubble team that just misses.

But I do think there's a reasonable chance that we actually make the playoffs. Our second line is unproven but that doesn't mean it's bad, the bottom-6 is bad but the importance of a bottom-6 is generally overrated, especially during the regular season. The big question mark for me is how much progress do we see from the young D.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Just looking at the division I don't see how we don't finish last in our divison so bottom 5-7 Maybeeee DET could have a bad year but I don't see them dropping that far
Detroit is crap. If Dach can stay healthy Habs should easily finish ahead of them.

electron58

Jun 29, 2024
Right now with no significant additions?
Bottom 10. Should be entertaining hockey though. Just not enough ponies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Gotta get that trade value up. Pump and dump on the way. :naughty:
Except he’s a black hole on the PP, plays go to his stick to die. Will hurt his trade value, somehow need to extend the illusion he created end of last season, maybe put him on LTIR til 10 games before the TDL and hope he gets on his annual heater

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Until our top6 can prove that they can carry most games, there's no reason to upgrade that shitty bottom6 and lose valuable resources to do so.

Pretty sure that NHL management can come up with that conclusion too. Meaning that the Suzuki, Guhle, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, etc. All the kids that can take their game to the next level are well aware that if they ever want to win something, they will have to prove Hugo and Gorton that they are ready and force them to improve the team.

Hutson will help so much too. That kid is a f***ing stud.

Our division :

1. TOR - Got better, more competent coach, don't worry tho, they'll choke anyway.

2. FLA - lost a couple of piece but should be crusing to another playoff spot easily.

3. TB - Lost stammer and sergei, they will be weaker, but Kuch and Vasi can still carry this team and be game changers.

4. BUF - They are making it this year. Finally.

5. MTL - Between them and Boston for the last spot, if, there is a 5th team from the Atlantic in the PO. A real first line in over 30years, defense looks good. Decent enough goalies. Success depends from the progress of the group and the 2nd line clicking.

6. BOS - One Swayman injury from catastrophe. This team is bad on paper and it will finally show.

7. DET - Not far behind MTL and BOS. Not there yet, they need to find a real #1 goalie for those tight games.

8. OTT - Horrible coach choice. Until they pick Haggens or McKenna, this team will continue to suck ass like the Oilers before McDavid.

Overall, around 84 to 92 is realistic, putting them just outside of the playoffs. So, pick 16 to 10 for my prediction.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Until our top6 can prove that they can carry most games, there's no reason to upgrade that shitty bottom6 and lose valuable resources to do so.

Pretty sure that NHL management can come up with that conclusion too. Meaning that the Suzuki, Guhle, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, etc. All the kids that can take their game to the next level are well aware that if they ever want to win something, they will have to prove Hugo and Gorton that they are ready and force them to improve the team.

Hutson will help so much too. That kid is a f***ing stud.

Our division :

1. TOR - Got better, more competent coach, don't worry tho, they'll choke anyway.

2. FLA - lost a couple of piece but should be crusing to another playoff spot easily.

3. TB - Lost stammer and sergei, they will be weaker, but Kuch and Vasi can still carry this team and be game changers.

4. BUF - They are making it this year. Finally.

5. MTL - Between them and Boston for the last spot, if, there is a 5th team from the Atlantic in the PO. A real first line in over 30years, defense looks good. Decent enough goalies. Success depends from the progress of the group and the 2nd line clicking.

6. BOS - One Swayman injury from catastrophe. This team is bad on paper and it will finally show.

7. DET - Not far behind MTL and BOS. Not there yet, they need to find a real #1 goalie for those tight games.

8. OTT - Horrible coach choice. Until they pick Haggens or McKenna, this team will continue to suck ass like the Oilers before McDavid.

Overall, around 84 to 92 is realistic, putting them just outside of the playoffs. So, pick 16 to 10 for my prediction.
we'll see about Toronto, it's basically the same lineup without Bertuzzi and Brodie (swapped for Tanev)

the question mark with MTL isn't with the forwards imo, it's with the d-core, the top 9-10 forward depth is actually really solid

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our pick in the 2025 draft will be 8-15 range (pre lottery). Wide range but a safe one. I can see 8-11 as equal probability as 12-15.

Playoffs are not 0% chance but it's not high. Maybe 10% chance or something like that. Regardless of how much more offense we can produce, Our D is still too young so that will affect our team D/Goaltending which is very important. Ask the Sens and Sabres about that!

In Feb (before TDL), we were around 8th last. Then we accepted tank strategy. 5th last in 23/24 was not the same narrative as 5th last in 22/23.

The truth is usually in the middle and it applies in this poll. If you vote playoffs or bottom 5, you are reaching on opposite ends.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Except he’s a black hole on the PP, plays go to his stick to die. Will hurt his trade value, somehow need to extend the illusion he created end of last season, maybe put him on LTIR til 10 games before the TDL and hope he gets on his annual heater
Armia isn’t a great fit on the habs, and he isn’t used correctly. They try to make him a shutdown player when he’s a high event loose puck generator. He tends to take away and give away the puck a lot with lots of contact on opposing players.

When he plays on top lines in international games his linemates jump on the loose pucks in the opposing zone for scoring chances. With the habs he’s on with defensive players who have dropped back to cover their guy so he exchanges the puck a few times and the other team comes out with it.

Putting Armia out with someone like Roy, who would love the loose pucks, might help his value.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Too many 'Ifs' at this moment to believe that this season will be much different from the previous two. I would not be surprised by another improvement in points, but it will not amount to an improvement in the overall standings IMHO.

It is still only mid August, so HuGo may still surprise us all with a top 6 forward acquisition, so things MAY improve, but as of this posting, I foresee another top 10 pick, with a lottery win, hopefully. (MARTONE PLEASE!!!)

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Too many 'Ifs' at this moment to believe that this season will be much different from the previous two. I would not be surprised by another improvement in points, but it will not amount to an improvement in the overall standings IMHO.

It is still only mid August, so HuGo may still surprise us all with a top 6 forward acquisition, so things MAY improve, but as of this posting, I foresee another top 10 pick, with a lottery win, hopefully. (MARTONE PLEASE!!!)
The past two seasons were quite different from each other. If we get another improvements in points like we did in either of the last 2 years then we will be close to if not in a playoff spot.

But yeah there are a lot of "Ifs" right now, but a lot of them aren't can this player take another step it's can this player play a full season like they have done for half a season. So I actually like our chances.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
agreed. this team is no where ready to be out of the bottom 5

PP is weak and not a strong 2nd line and the 4th line bites, if you have a pezz on the team, that says it all

Plus all the other teams in the Atlantic are straight up better than us
We can compete with Buffalo, Ottawa and Détroit but they are viewed as better than us

Reactions: Stive Morgan

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Just play the daylights out of the kids and surprises may happen. The team has some up and coming players in their system with talent and skill who will get better simply by playing more.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Plus all the other teams in the Atlantic are straight up better than us
We can compete with Buffalo, Ottawa and Détroit but they are viewed as better than us
Ottawa finished 2 points ahead of us and lost Chychrun, Joseph, and Tarensenko and have added Perron and Ullmark. I'm not sure they are better then they were last year and frankly I don't see how anyone can have all that much faith that Ullmark given he was already showing signs of slowing down and will now have to deal with the disaster of a defence and a group of forwards who seem to care more about stat padding then they do helping out in the D-zone.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Just threw up in my mouth a little reading Armia on our PP again
Not a biggie right now. Armia is among our 10 best attacking players going into the year.

Last year, he was 4th in goals on the club, while only 13th in ES ice time. He was 15th in PP ice time, hardly a fixture. Gallagher had SIX TIMES the power play time as Joel.

I don't see a need for drama over a marginal guy on the PP2. But go ahead and throw up if you want. It's a free country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad