OT: Summer Fitness Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Moderate HIIT volume (to eliminate discussion of harms) is surely more beneficial than conversational-holding pace jogs that do little to train one’s heart. Then there’s a muscle growth aspect that’s largely missing in slow jogging.

Any activity is better than none but I’m entering age group where there’s a stronger emphasis on muscle building over “basic” staying active.
I highly recommend reading Dr. Gabrielle Lyon's book Forever Strong.

If everyone focused on building muscle instead of losing fat then we would be in a better situation.

And most people are incredibly stressed/inflamed, adding in HIIT does not help and sometimes makes things even worse.

Reactions: LokiDog

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
I started Orange Theory, have had three lessons this past week. Can someone explain what mentally deranged people love cardio? I feel like I'm being waterboarded every time I go.

Haha. I think it partly depends on your age. I turned 50 last year and it hit me my time on this Earth is passing fast. Being healthy and working out regularly might help gain some more quality time.

I would also say you need to have something to make the time go by faster. For some runners/joggers it’s podcasts and music or audiobooks. For myself, I average 15k on an erg everyday. My set up using in the picture. Watching Netflix or YouTube makes the hour plus each day go by quick.

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 6

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I started Orange Theory, have had three lessons this past week. Can someone explain what mentally deranged people love cardio? I feel like I'm being waterboarded every time I go.

I did OT about 4 years ago, was a member for 1.5 years or so. I hate cardio so this basically forced me to do it and they were normally decent workouts. They kept raises the prices though and eventually I lost interest, but it was good for awhile.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Haha. I think it partly depends on your age. I turned 50 last year and it hit me my time on this Earth is passing fast. Being healthy and working out regularly might help gain some more quality time.

I would also say you need to have something to make the time go by faster. For some runners/joggers it’s podcasts and music or audiobooks. For myself, I average 15k on an erg everyday. My set up using in the picture. Watching Netflix or YouTube makes the hour plus each day go by quick.

When I go to the gym by myself I listen to a podcast but can't really do at Orange Theory.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

ERG became my favorite cardio machine. Folks who never tried it won't get how impressive it is to go for hour plus on it! My typical workout is 25-35 min.

They say you should eat colorful food so I think M & Ms are okay as my vegetables. :D
Obviously you need to eliminate yellow / orange M&Ms (that represent starch)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I lose weight so slowly. Now I'm not on a strict protein or strict anything diet. I eat potatoes, ice cream, etc just in moderation. I do watch my total calories and work out a bit. I'm 171.5 now after losing 1 pound. I'd like to get down to 159.5 so I have 12 pounds to go.
Slowly still getting closer to my goal. Hit 168.2 pounds today. I weigh myself every morning without clothes. I only lose around 1-3 pounds a month but I keep at it. :)

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Slowly still getting closer to my goal. Hit 168.2 pounds today. I weigh myself every morning without clothes. I only lose around 1-3 pounds a month but I keep at it. :)
Good for you. Its so hard to lose weight.

I run a lot, hit the gym 3x a week or more, play golf, hockey. I'm very active always outside.

Ill take weeks off for vacation and not do much and i wont gain any weight. Ill jump back into my routine and wont lose anything. Ive literally been 194 for a decade.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Good for you. Its so hard to lose weight.

I run a lot, hit the gym 3x a week or more, play golf, hockey. I'm very active always outside.

Ill take weeks off for vacation and not do much and i wont gain any weight. Ill jump back into my routine and wont lose anything. Ive literally been 194 for a decade.
194 may be a very natural weight for you then. I recently added 10-15 minutes a day of biking. I did not do that for weight loss. More for heart health.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Got fitted for a tuxedo for my friends wedding I’m best manning, made me realize how horrible out of shape I’ve gotten.

I don’t eat too much or too poorly, I’ve been rather physically active this summer as well, me thinks it’s my drinking that’s causing the weight gain.

I don’t have the willpower to give up the booze completely though

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Got fitted for a tuxedo for my friends wedding I’m best manning, made me realize how horrible out of shape I’ve gotten.

I don’t eat too much or too poorly, I’ve been rather physically active this summer as well, me thinks it’s my drinking that’s causing the weight gain.

I don’t have the willpower to give up the booze completely though
Probably do not need to give it up completely. Maybe just reducing it will help? Best man is quite an honor. Congrats!

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m probably 185 now. A lot smaller than I’ve been in the past but also pretty lean right now. A couple years back I posted pics where I was around 210 and probably sub-8% BF. I’ll never get back to that, but I’m looking fairly beach worthy at a smaller weight right now and still have some good size in my chest and shoulders. I’d be closer to 175 and pretty ripped if I didn’t do so many 12oz curls to failure though.

Reactions: Roo Returns

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
It was a long road back to recovery after I got that nasty flu strain (or maybe RSV or Covid, the doctor couldn't figure it out) where I was not right for three months, but I spent a lot of time at the gym the last five months doing resistance training as opposed to running and while I haven't lost that much weight, I can fit into most of my skinny clothes and SM or M shirts again while being able to lift more.

I don't get big, just really thin and while the diet could use a little tweaking, generally satisfied with the progress.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It was a long road back to recovery after I got that nasty flu strain (or maybe RSV or Covid, the doctor couldn't figure it out) where I was not right for three months, but I spent a lot of time at the gym the last five months doing resistance training as opposed to running and while I haven't lost that much weight, I can fit into most of my skinny clothes and SM or M shirts again while being able to lift more.

I don't get big, just really thin and while the diet could use a little tweaking, generally satisfied with the progress.
A small shirt? Wow. Glad you are feeling better!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Ahhh the glories of recomping.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
My drop on the scale goes so slow compared to others but I'm still working hard. Made original goal at 169.8 now at 166.8. Next huge goal will be 159.8. Lowest I have been was 15 years ago at 156.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
My drop on the scale goes so slow compared to others but I'm still working hard. Made original goal at 169.8 now at 166.8. Next huge goal will be 159.8. Lowest I have been was 15 years ago at 156.
Important thing is you are headed in the right direction and you have a goal you are working towards.

Thats 95% of the battle and if you dont get there you are maintaining a healthy lifestyle both physically and mentally, which millions of people neglect all together

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad