OT: Summer Fitness Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I lose weight so slowly. Now I'm not on a strict protein or strict anything diet. I eat potatoes, ice cream, etc just in moderation. I do watch my total calories and work out a bit. I'm 171.5 now after losing 1 pound. I'd like to get down to 159.5 so I have 12 pounds to go.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I lose weight so slowly. Now I'm not on a strict protein or strict anything diet. I eat potatoes, ice cream, etc just in moderation. I do watch my total calories and work out a bit. I'm 171.5 now after losing 1 pound. I'd like to get down to 159.5 so I have 12 pounds to go.
I don’t want to discourage you but speaking from a personal experience as we get older (I’m 50) these “potatoes, ice cream in moderation” become factors in trying to lose pounds - I lost 13 lbs since winter when I decided to cut sugar, starch and certain grains but while I’d like to move another 4-5 lbs it’s been a no-go for a few months. Doesn’t bother me to change anything else.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t want to discourage you but speaking from a personal experience as we get older (I’m 50) these “potatoes, ice cream in moderation” become factors in trying to lose pounds - I lost 13 lbs since winter when I decided to cut sugar, starch and certain grains but while I’d like to move another 4-5 lbs it’s been a no-go for a few months. Doesn’t bother me to change anything else.

When I lost my 60 pounds or so cutting carbs it worked like a charm. Now I gain or maintain and the diet doesn't help me lose weight anymore.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If you aren’t correctly adjusting your calories/tracking how many you’re burning this is going to happen.

No different than any other style of diet.

Well my diet isn't as strict as it once was also. But my point is I go on vacation gain weight, come back and eat better. But I don't necessarily lose weight, at least nothing significant. I always figured it was my body getting used to a new diet and not being able to go down that well again. Like I once lost a ton of weight when I stopped drinking soda. When I was at my fattest my soda intake was minimal, so it didn't matter.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You are probably right. I knowingly make a decision to be less strict. I'm not overweight but I would rather be 159 than 171 for pool season. With that said I decided that food is one of my life pleasures. I do not want to give up an occasional 200 calories of French fries or 140 calories of M&M in moderation. :)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You are probably right. I knowingly make a decision to be less strict. I'm not overweight but I would rather be 159 than 171 for pool season. With that said I decided that food is one of my life pleasures. I do not want to give up an occasional 200 calories of French fries or 140 calories of M&M in moderation. :)
My problem that forced me to make a change were physical illnesses I started regularly getting because of inflammations. This was more of a factor than just “vanity” - didn’t have a problem buying bigger clothes but I didn’t want to start slowing down physically.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I started Orange Theory, have had three lessons this past week. Can someone explain what mentally deranged people love cardio? I feel like I'm being waterboarded every time I go.
I am very anti Orange Theory. Your feelings aren’t off base lol. Too bad you’re in Brooklyn I run “Strongman” classes in my gym in Garden City.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I love interval training but if it’s the basis for your program it’s not a good one.

HIIT really shouldn’t be done more than twice a week at most. I think anything that asks you to redline your body on the regular should be ignored but that’s just me.

What does redline mean? I'm going three times a week.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
High volume+High intensity. Anything that can be considered max effort or as you put it "like being waterboarded" LOL.

Why OTF though? Just giving it a try?

I was going by myself and not seeing results and I figured it was easier to go to a group class that's near me and cheaper than personal trading which hasn't worked for me in the past.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I love interval training but if it’s the basis for your program it’s not a good one.

HIIT really shouldn’t be done more than twice a week at most. I think anything that asks you to redline your body on the regular should be ignored but that’s just me.
There is new research that suggests longer runs/jogs at a pace where you can still hold a conversation is just as beneficial or more than HIIT.

Theres definitely a place for it if you are training as an athlete/or for a sport, but it puts a lot of stress on the body. Even though stresses/exertion lead to gains, its not always the case with Cardio.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I was going by myself and not seeing results and I figured it was easier to go to a group class that's near me and cheaper than personal trading which hasn't worked for me in the past.

Got you. Did you try changing your diet or training or going to a different trainer?

If you end up enjoying OTF then by all means go for it but these crazy cardio centric programs where they sell you on your calorie expenditure just aren't it IMO.

There is new research that suggests longer runs/jogs at a pace where you can still hold a conversation is just as beneficial or more than HIIT.

Theres definitely a place for it if you are training as an athlete/or for a sport, but it puts a lot of stress on the body. Even though stresses/exertion lead to gains, its not always the case with Cardio.

That tracks.

Things that a person can do more frequently with out feeling like shit when they're done are things that they're going to be more likely to continue doing. Thats before even getting to the lowered risk of injury.

Crazy cardio based training isn't really great for body composition either but thats another conversation entirely. Cardio should really supplement a fat loss journey (mostly for the benefits that it provides independent of calorie expenditure), not drive it.

Reactions: Chytilmania

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Moderate HIIT volume (to eliminate discussion of harms) is surely more beneficial than conversational-holding pace jogs that do little to train one’s heart. Then there’s a muscle growth aspect that’s largely missing in slow jogging.

Got you. Did you try changing your diet or training or going to a different trainer?

If you end up enjoying OTF then by all means go for it but these crazy cardio centric programs where they sell you on your calorie expenditure just aren't it IMO.

That tracks.

Things that a person can do more frequently with out feeling like shit when they're done are things that they're going to be more likely to continue doing. Thats before even getting to the lowered risk of injury.

Crazy cardio based training isn't really great for body composition either but thats another conversation entirely. Cardio should really supplement a fat loss journey (mostly for the benefits that it provides independent of calorie expenditure), not drive it.
Any activity is better than none but I’m entering age group where there’s a stronger emphasis on muscle building over “basic” staying active.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad