Sudbury Wolves 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
These comments of putting the teams interest above the players are a bit concerning. It’s like mandating your employees to accept a new policy, sure you have the right to do it but that doesn’t mean it’s the best idea.

If I am a player, I want a team to sell me on the features and benefits that the team will offer me. Musty had many options outside the OHL, I am only speculating, but could the conversation been something around building a championship team around him?

Clearly the playoff success hasn’t lived up to the vision the team had, maybe the kid wants to go on a run and doesn’t see it happening for the Wolves.

The team is not in existence to serve itself, it is to prepare and develop players for the next level. If Musty has other plans a good management team would support that decision and find the best fit for the player.

If you do this right, you get the reputation of being a player centric destination that players want to be apart of.

The picks won’t matter in ten years how you treat people leaving your organization can impact a lifetime.
No one ever said the Wolves weren’t gonna treat Musty properly. The Wolves will do best for him and every player. Put the shoe on the other foot and do a deep dive into how the player has treated the organization over the past three years. That will be remembered well past 10 years. My understanding of the situation is This “I wanna be traded”issue was a surprise to all and by not working with the team towards the trade and sitting at home is the choice of the player. The team statement indicates he is welcome back at anytime, but now under the circumstances dictated by the player, the Wolves need to make him happy while trying to get value back.. In other words, the player has pushed the team into a corner and a position of disadvantage.
Musty will be traded but it appears they won’t take the first low ball offer. To say the Wolves don’t develop or have the best interest of their players is messed up. The team has had more 1st round NHL picks in past 5 years as any team (Musty included).

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I disagree with the suggestion that take less value just to get rid of him, is that how you build for the future?
I am not suggesting Sudbury trade him for a lesser return just to get rid of him. Quit the opposite. I think they need to hold out for his true value. Players should not be allowed to dictate where they play unless there is a reason like the situation with the two Ottawa players which were for personal needs or for an reason were it best for the player to move on.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
As much as I want Krawchuk to prove everyone wrong from last year he just isn't doing what he needs to do. Difficult tracking pucks and not battling in the crease enough. He just doesn't seem prepared. Marshall is so much more dialled in.

Then a couple of 19 year olds need to take it up a notch. Klinkhammer and Pharand are just not doing enough for veteran players. Horgan is a fill in so I don't blame him. But we're just not in sync forward wise. Lots of messy broken up plays and pucks are being easily swept off their stick over the middle of the ice into the offensive zone.

Wolves just seem to be a step behind and chasing this game IMO.

WJ

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
As much as I want Krawchuk to prove everyone wrong from last year he just isn't doing what he needs to do. Difficult tracking pucks and not battling in the crease enough. He just doesn't seem prepared. Marshall is so much more dialled in.

Then a couple of 19 year olds need to take it up a notch. Klinkhammer and Pharand are just not doing enough for veteran players. Horgan is a fill in so I don't blame him. But we're just not in sync forward wise. Lots of messy broken up plays and pucks are being easily swept off their stick over the middle of the ice into the offensive zone.

Wolves just seem to be a step behind and chasing this game IMO.

WJ
Klinkhammer was a throw in in that deal. So don't expect much. Wolves were able to sell a few extra season tickets.

Pharhand looks to repeating what we witnessed last year. He is who he is.

The vet forwards need to show more overall. If they don't score we don't win. Wolves really only have one vet line. Youngsters everywhere else.

RP will have to go shopping sooner than later.

I like the way Barney coaches. Always teaching. Drawing board always ready to coach/ teach.

wolves truefan

Sep 11, 2023
Klinkhammer was a throw in in that deal. So don't expect much. Wolves were able to sell a few extra season tickets.

Pharhand looks to repeating what we witnessed last year. He is who he is.

The vet forwards need to show more overall. If they don't score we don't win. Wolves really only have one vet line. Youngsters everywhere else.

RP will have to go shopping sooner than later.

I like the way Barney coaches. Always teaching. Drawing board always ready to coach/ teach.
top line line deilc walton pharhand is minus 2 tonight so we cant blame the rookie's

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Just love this OHL Roundtable saying Musty didn't like the culture last year in Sudbury and wants a change of scenery. But they don't want to speculate! You just did!!! Do you they not know that he was part of the negative culture regardless of his point production. Like his offensive success I completely have clouded from his conduct ie. long shifts, slamming sticks against the glass, lack of hustle to play defence, etc... Floors me these guys can discuss the negative culture in Sudbury and almost make it sound like he didn't like it. Jokers!!!

WJ

Reactions: WolvesFan and cub

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Just love this OHL Roundtable saying Musty didn't like the culture last year in Sudbury and wants a change of scenery. Do you they not know that he was part of the negative culture regardless of his point production. Like his offensive success I completely have clouded from his conduct ie. long shifts, slamming sticks against the glass, lack of hustle to play defence, etc... Floors me these guys can discuss the negative culture in Sudbury and almost make it sound like he didn't like it.

WJ
Might I add the undisciplined penalties.

Reactions: WolvesFan
Came here to say this myself but you beat me to it!

I say roll with Marshall as #1 moving forward.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Would or wouldn’t you, Musty and Pharand for Spence and Molnar?
Malcolm ? Looks to be a 1st rounder for the 2025 NHL hockey draftt. Erie would hangup the phone.

And not sure why wolves think other teams want our castaways

That deal in no way benefits Erie

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ5 and dirty12

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
I’m a Bulldogs fan but wanted to check out this thread for the updates on Musty. Maybe I am a homer for the league, but it’s getting frustrating hearing how the league is not good enough for guys like Musty, Cowan and Barlow. Should these guys be playing in the AHL? Probably but the way some media and fans talk you would think the OHL was a beer league. These guys will probably have long successful NHL careers and this extra year of playing in junior will mean nothing. People talk about how the league is not good for them yet they developed in this league the last 3 years to help them become the high rated prospects they are.

I am not going to pretend I am very knowledgeable on the Sudbury Wolves organization, but they must have done something right to help Musty get to be a 1st round NHL pick and close to the NHL. Or was it all Musty and the Wolves and the league did nothing to develop him?

End of rant ;)

Reactions: Lycanthrope

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Malcolm ? Looks to be a 1st rounder for the 2025 NHL hockey draftt. Erie would hangup the phone.

And not sure why wolves think other teams want our castaways

That deal in no way benefits Erie

Effectively, it would be 2 for 1 rounding out and improving the top 9 scoring output. But Erie could not really afford the future cost of that deal, and Frasca forced his way to Erie to be with Spence.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I’m a Bulldogs fan but wanted to check out this thread for the updates on Musty. Maybe I am a homer for the league, but it’s getting frustrating hearing how the league is not good enough for guys like Musty, Cowan and Barlow. Should these guys be playing in the AHL? Probably but the way some media and fans talk you would think the OHL was a beer league. These guys will probably have long successful NHL careers and this extra year of playing in junior will mean nothing. People talk about how the league is not good for them yet they developed in this league the last 3 years to help them become the high rated prospects they are.

I am not going to pretend I am very knowledgeable on the Sudbury Wolves organization, but they must have done something right to help Musty get to be a 1st round NHL pick and close to the NHL. Or was it all Musty and the Wolves and the league did nothing to develop him?

End of rant ;)
Great post pal, I for one welcome it. His dad can build him a rink in the backyard this winter for all I care. Also, this business of blah blah people won’t wanna report here, etc.. Whatever too bad. I would think San Jose would be more upset with him than the Wolves, specifically considering their diplomatic article on him that essentially said he has an attitude problem. The only reason the players are allowed to do this is because the league allows them. I’ve heard horror stories about this guy‘s attitude last year and I’m gonna go on the record in saying I have my doubts he’ll become a NHL pro of any consequence. Up to him to prove me wrong but his attitude would have to do a 180. I forgot the names of more players like him that most people will ever see.
He should be grateful he has the God-given talent he has and come to Sudbury like a gentleman, play the best he can and wait till he has the opportunity to be moved which he almost certainly would be anyway. I think it’s pretty interesting that he did originally come to camp and I wouldn’t be surprised if upon learning he wouldn’t be running the show he decided he didn’t wanna come back. I really miss the days when the kids really appreciated just being drafted. OK, I’ll wait for his billet and the like to respond. Pretty easy to see who they were.
Cheers, end of my rant! Congrats to you guys on getting the new Arena approved. Oh yeah, as far as the Wolves, I think they’ll be in a dog fight just to make the playoffs. They better get McCoy back soon.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad