Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Looks like Walton is out of the lineup and Signoretti has been put in.

More funny then anything but between Mauro, Signoretti, Giroux, and Walton out, this may be one of the smallest average height from an OHL forward core in a long time.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Dario doesn’t care as long as there are fans in the seats. To continue to support his GMs decision making is proof of that. The players see this and their play indicates such. They are playing for their own stats and for some where they will go soon as the season ends. rest of the way is a washout iam afraid
you like making up stories and stirring up drama.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
I am usually at the wolves games but I’m watching on Eastlink today… who the hell are the play by play callers. They were just saying because Vondras is solid in net like UPL was, that affords the wolves the ability to take more chances on offence…. They have also been saying for the past 5 minutes that Dvorsky scored the first goal. 👨🏻‍🦯🤦🏻 not to mention our intermission interviewer just asked Jelsma what song should be added to her son’s playlist…. What am I watching?

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
I am usually at the wolves games but I’m watching on Eastlink today… who the hell are the play by play callers. They were just saying because Vondras is solid in net like UPL was, that affords the wolves the ability to take more chances on offence…. They have also been saying for the past 5 minutes that Dvorsky scored the first goal. 👨🏻‍🦯🤦🏻 not to mention our intermission interviewer just asked Jelsma what song should be added to her son’s playlist…. What am I watching?
Gotta be Gary Beech and that Amanda Zurkowsky?

I’m not watching but last time i did it was them two and it was brutal. I’m not 100% sure on the ladies name tbh. I know the old guy is Beech though, worked with him at EZ Rock when it was EZ Rock

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Gotta be Gary Beech and that Amanda Zurkowsky?

I’m not watching but last time i did it was them two and it was brutal. I’m not 100% sure on the ladies name tbh. I know the old guy is Beech though, worked with him at EZ Rock when it was EZ Rock
It’s Randy Pascale and the guy with the bow tie. Not beech.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
It’s Randy Pascale and the guy with the bow tie. Not beech.
Randy is absolutely clueless.

Win is a win, don't remember the last time the wolves took this many dumb penalties either. Once again, enough skill to outscore their problems.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Still too many one and done plays this afternoon. Turnovers in the neutral zone has to be addressed. Wolves seem to not be moving quick enough. Teams are beating us to loose pucks and the forecheck is not aggressive enough.

Dvorsky was ridiculous today. His puck control and protection deep in the offensive zone is something we should all really enjoy. World class players don’t make there way here often.

Wolves first home win since the deadline. Hopefully they build on it. Getting Collins back and Walton and Villy will help but the Wolves need to clean things up big time as they start facing stronger teams like the Soo and North Bay.

Take the two points and hopefully some positives come from it.

WJ

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Just a crumb of goaltending is all I want.
Vondras was good, it was encouraging. Vondras or bust for me.
NB Thursday and Friday this coming week

Predictions?
A split might be a reasonable prediction. If we get some important saves I like our chances Friday for sure.
I’m going to say the effort will definitely be there. Good measuring stick, the Bay is as good as any team in the conference.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
True test upcoming with the back to back against North Bay. Please don't get embarrassed
Hope I’m right but I doubt it. Impressed by Mcoy’s comments. Give the right guys time to start installing a winning culture and mindset before we write the season off. Again, he mentioned that they are a tight group so if they can start playing for each other with a shared goal they might be able to overcome the lack of outstanding coaching. Again, though, most importantly, they’re gonna need the saves.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Vondras was good, it was encouraging. Vondras or bust for me.
If Vondras was good, our standards are laughably low. .842 SV% in that game, .866 on the season.

He's likely not in the top 30 best goalies in the OHL

Unrelated, but happy to see Musty recognized as OHL player of the week. Dvorsky with an honorable mention too.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
If Vondras was good, our standards are laughably low. .842 SV% in that game, .866 on the season.

He's likely not in the top 30 best goalies in the OHL

Unrelated, but happy to see Musty recognized as OHL player of the week. Dvorsky with an honorable mention too.
Don't you think the cause of the high GAA for our netminders is due to how poorly we play when the puck is around our net? I get the feeling that, although we've improved for the overall game, we are still not strong around our net. We put the goalies in tough positions regularly.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Don't you think the cause of the high GAA for our netminders is due to how poorly we play when the puck is around our net? I get the feeling that, although we've improved for the overall game, we are still not strong around our net. We put the goalies in tough positions regularly.
I think SV% is a lot more telling to how a goalie plays then GAA. Vondras did not give up a weak goal, which may be a first this season in a game for him. That's progress, I also don't think he particularly made any incredible saves and took away scoring chances. Everyone we play against seems to have a goalie who makes saves where players are looking to the sky in disbelief. Sudbury's got three guys who are somewhere between mediocre and average on any given night. On a team that claims to have championship aspirations, that is not good enough.

In terms of putting goalies in tough situations, that does feel like it's just the way the OHL goes now. Teams generally do not have good defensive games. I think I saw that the OHL is now the highest-scoring league in the CHL. Heck, goaltending seems to be at an all time low in terms of quality in the OHL, maybe I'm just expecting too much, it's probably likely even.

Reactions: justawolfan

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

Maybe one day we'll get an OHL franchise to reward this fanbase, rather then the league continue trying to shuffle teams around the GTA as they fail.

Reactions: Pucks Deep

BuffaloSabres72

Jan 9, 2024
Still too many one and done plays this afternoon. Turnovers in the neutral zone has to be addressed. Wolves seem to not be moving quick enough. Teams are beating us to loose pucks and the forecheck is not aggressive enough.

Dvorsky was ridiculous today. His puck control and protection deep in the offensive zone is something we should all really enjoy. World class players don’t make there way here often.

Wolves first home win since the deadline. Hopefully they build on it. Getting Collins back and Walton and Villy will help but the Wolves need to clean things up big time as they start facing stronger teams like the Soo and North Bay.

Take the two points and hopefully some positives come from it.

WJ
I'm not sure Walton and Villy will be back from the Top Prospects Game in time for the NB away game. They probably won't fly out from Moncton until Thursday some time and then they'd have to have a connecting flight. The boy's did the Wolves proud. Villy played well and Walton lead all players with 5 shots.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Depends if they got on the early flight or not. I work out of Moncton all the time. The return flight leaves at 5:10 am, usually gets you home (to Sudbury) by 9:30 am, weather depending of course.

BuffaloSabres72

Jan 9, 2024
I heard they're flying out of Fredericton late morning catching a connecting flight midafternoon from TO to Sudbury. Don't know times.

BuffaloSabres72

Jan 9, 2024
Know a buddy who's kid is on the Generals and is on the same flight from Fredericton to Toronto. I believe also that because this is such a special event for the young men and families that the CHL organised an aftergame family event. That probably explains why the return flights are later this morning.

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
Procyszyn not in the lineup for North Bay so I'm assuming Villeneuve and Walton won't be in the lineup for Sudbury.

Edited to add Walton.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad