Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Does anyone remember if the Kraft hockeyville exhibition games had full lineups or mostly just rookies what can we expect from the upcoming game in Sudbury?

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Does anyone remember if the Kraft hockeyville exhibition games had full lineups or mostly just rookies what can we expect from the upcoming game in Sudbury?
I highly doubt theyre bringing their opening roster lineups. Or even close to it.

Reactions: WolvesFan

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Generally each team will have a few of their bigger names, and then the rest will be rookies.

• Haha
Reactions: cub

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Brampton and Barrie loading up big time in the Central!
As expected they’re going to both be great teams. Eastern conference is going to be so unbelievably stacked.
Meanwhile, Dario/Paps still think the Wolves can contend? :help:
The smart thing for them to do is to trade musty for a crap load of picks and a 16 year old. Keep the rest of the team together minus McCoy since according to some he seems to want out. Maybe trade Deangelis too if you get a real good offer.

Otherwise keep the team together and fight for 5th/6th spot with lots of picks and a 2 17 year old first round picks next year, villeneuve, Walton will be great and pharand could probably be back among some other guys.

If im Sudbury im pushing my go for it year to next year. Some people on here may not like that idea but realistically this is going to be hell to be a contender in the east this year, even kingston who will be making some more moves upgrading players is pretty risky in my opinion. Brantford has the potential of a super team, Brampton has made it clear they want a championship, barrie is going to be a GREAT team and they haven’t even added Barlow yet. Oshawa just went to the finals and will be returning a lot of good players including the 3rd overall pick, another 2 first round nhl picks in Ritchie and danford, and the reigning ohl goalie of the year.

To me it’s just not sudburys year. Got so much to improve upon.

They have the picks but by the time they use these picks up other teams will have already built way better teams.

Last edited:

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
To me it’s just not sudburys year. Got so much to improve upon.

This is not rocket science lol. Appreciate the reply. Was being more sarcastic with my comments with Dario/Paps thinking Wolves can contend this season. Sad thing is they probably believe it. Last year was the year to truly contend and go for it, and Dario/Paps blew it. The boat was so severely missed last season with a weak Eastern Conference and Wolves only going "half-in" on roster upgrades, along with weak coaching and weak goaltending. Epic failure. Thanks again Dario/Paps. Hence all the season ticket opt outs, and that stench in the air won't go away for some time. It will linger on throughout this season especially if they struggle and get humbled by teams like Barrie and Brampton. Prove us all wrong Dario/Paps, I don't care how you do it, just build a true contender with good coaching that this city can be proud of. One day perhaps, we've all been waiting a long time for it.

Reactions: frontsfan67

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Hey let’s fold the season. Why are we even gonna play this season..

On the positive side, Wolves have some nice pieces and horses to run with early on and should be able to compete in a tough Eastern Conference if certain things fall into place (as usual, biggest thing being Goaltending, and quality coaching will be crucial).

Musty - Elite elite playmaker and goal scorer, will absolutely torch the league if returned from San Jose, which I expect to happen. Hope to see some more maturity in his game this season with discipline and body language on the ice. Not letting opponents get under his skin so easily. He will be targeted every night.

Villeneuve - He's going to breakout big time this season. Warrior out there and will be tasked with tough assignments against other teams top players.

Walton - Could have a huge year. When motivated and on his game, he's hard to stop. Could be a 30 goal guy, and over PPG player.

Pharand - Really need him to take the next step and find another gear offensively.

Delic - Elite OA. My choice for captain if he returns. Heart and soul guy that will put up big points.

Looking forward to seeing what Coughlan, Klinkhammer, Chitaroni, and DiGiantommaso bring to the table this season. Hoping they sign Chovan soon.

McCoy - Elite OA. Can shut down anyone in this league. Hope he returns.

DeAngelis - Elite OA. Wolves have not had two impact OA Dmen like McCoy and DeAngelis since D'Aversa and McQuaid.

Ewles - He's going to surprise lots of people. Solid Dman for this season.

Really looking forward to seeing Jackson and Blonda play. Two young blue chippers on the back end.

Krawchuk - Is he ready to be the guy? Really need him to solidify things in net.
Gaulton - Excited to see what we have in him. Could surprise.

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Nice post a lot of if’s, but good reason for some surprises going forward. My only concern is our Gms lack of ability to be the decision maker going forward. He seems to have Dario on a lease as he backs everything Papineau does and says. I agree this could be a sleeper year if the coaches have full say

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Nice post a lot of if’s, but good reason for some surprises going forward. My only concern is our Gms lack of ability to be the decision maker going forward. He seems to have Dario on a lease as he backs everything Papineau does and says. I agree this could be a sleeper year if the coaches have full say

A lot has to go right, especially goaltending but there is a talented core there to start. I'm willing to be these coaches will have full say after last years fiasco

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Hey let’s fold the season. Why are we even gonna play this season..
I didn't get the impression anyone said anything like that. They are just realistic that management and the team don't seem aligned considering the strength within the conference. It's just reality.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
On the positive side, Wolves have some nice pieces and horses to run with early on and should be able to compete in a tough Eastern Conference if certain things fall into place (as usual, biggest thing being Goaltending, and quality coaching will be crucial).

Musty - Elite elite playmaker and goal scorer, will absolutely torch the league if returned from San Jose, which I expect to happen. Hope to see some more maturity in his game this season with discipline and body language on the ice. Not letting opponents get under his skin so easily. He will be targeted every night.

Villeneuve - He's going to breakout big time this season. Warrior out there and will be tasked with tough assignments against other teams top players.

Walton - Could have a huge year. When motivated and on his game, he's hard to stop. Could be a 30 goal guy, and over PPG player.

Pharand - Really need him to take the next step and find another gear offensively.

Delic - Elite OA. My choice for captain if he returns. Heart and soul guy that will put up big points.

Looking forward to seeing what Coughlan, Klinkhammer, Chitaroni, and DiGiantommaso bring to the table this season. Hoping they sign Chovan soon.

McCoy - Elite OA. Can shut down anyone in this league. Hope he returns.

DeAngelis - Elite OA. Wolves have not had two impact OA Dmen like McCoy and DeAngelis since D'Aversa and McQuaid.

Ewles - He's going to surprise lots of people. Solid Dman for this season.

Really looking forward to seeing Jackson and Blonda play. Two young blue chippers on the back end.

Krawchuk - Is he ready to be the guy? Really need him to solidify things in net.
Gaulton - Excited to see what we have in him. Could surprise.
Love this positive post!!

SudWolf

Aug 20, 2024
Brampton and Barrie loading up big time in the Central!

Meanwhile, Dario/Paps still think the Wolves can contend? :help:

Excited for the hockey season, but there's still a major stench in the air from last season.
It actually makes sense that Papineau hold off on any big trades at this point. The Wolves could go two opposite directions this year but that really hinges on what happens with Dvorsky in St. Louis and Musty in San Jose. If both of these all-stars come back, then Papineau might unload some Flint draft picks from the Konyen trade and load up; specifically, go after a goalie. If Dvorsky and Musty don't come back then they may get rid of even more players to stack up draft picks for the opening of the new arena in 2028.

Another thing to point out, while the Wolves biggest hole is in goal, there are a bunch of teams that have two goalies that might be willing to move one for the right price but again, why give up draft picks/prospects if one or both of Dvorsky and Musty don't return.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Papineau knows all to well about holding off on any big trades, he did it at the trade deadline which resulted in the team being swept by a depleted NB team.

FeastYourEyes

Jul 17, 2024
My years of experience just as a fan in major junior is that coaching can make more change then we think. I have spoken to some people who say Barney is going to make a huge difference and work on changing the culture of this team I mean no offence to Ken when I write this I think he was put in a bad position and did his best
I also think making an investment into the goalies with a top notch goalie coach was a good move. Sure the goaltending is inexperienced but they have the right guy leading them and actually teaching them the way he wants them taught these young guys may surprise you
I don't think the Wolves are contenders but I think they are moving in the right direction

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
My years of experience just as a fan in major junior is that coaching can make more change then we think. I have spoken to some people who say Barney is going to make a huge difference and work on changing the culture of this team I mean no offence to Ken when I write this I think he was put in a bad position and did his best
I also think making an investment into the goalies with a top notch goalie coach was a good move. Sure the goaltending is inexperienced but they have the right guy leading them and actually teaching them the way he wants them taught these young guys may surprise you
I don't think the Wolves are contenders but I think they are moving in the right direction
I agree, the Wolves are moving in the right direction with the coaching changes. It is starting to give something to be hopeful about. In fact I think the addition of an experienced goaltending coach means a lot more then a new head coach. It's no coincidence some teams in the OHL seem to have goaltenders among the top in the league every year(See Mississauga)

With that said, the Wolves have a long way to go to earn fan trust back after last year's letdown. Despite what some posters think, I think it's fair to have some level of negativity. Last year will go down with 00-01 in terms of wasted potential. I hope the Wolves can prove a lot of people wrong this year, after the playoff run that proved the negativity to be deserved.

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I agree, the Wolves are moving in the right direction with the coaching changes. It is starting to give something to be hopeful about. In fact I think the addition of an experienced goaltending coach means a lot more then a new head coach. It's no coincidence some teams in the OHL seem to have goaltenders among the top in the league every year(See Mississauga)

With that said, the Wolves have a long way to go to earn fan trust back after last year's letdown. Despite what some posters think, I think it's fair to have some level of negativity. Last year will go down with 00-01 in terms of wasted potential. I hope the Wolves can prove a lot of people wrong this year, after the playoff run that proved the negativity to be deserved.
Although I frown on negativity, I would agree last season was a wasted opportunity. Talent was in place for the most part. Culture, coaching and no commitment to D zone play lead to massive disappointment

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Tick tock on training camp announcements. I have to figure its next week, as its always before the long weekend, but who knows.

• Haha
Reactions: cub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad